Skip to main content
Home Boating

2011 Ordered

Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
edited June 3 in Boating #1
I sold my 189 Bird and got the wheels in motion in a 2011 build. Starting Monday November 5th the gel cote will go in the mold. I hope to post build pictures if Frank is up to taking them.

So Far I am going with the Yahama 250 SHO 4 stroke as power, Light blue sides just a tad darker than my last bird, black rub rail, Lowrance HDS Gen2 Touch-7 inch display, LED lighting in most compartments, I-Pilot I have from my last bird, VHF, standard bench seating, and Ameratrail trailer. Any ideas anyone has is appreciated.
Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas

Replies

• Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 953 Officer
    I would go with larger screen for the GPS.
  • roto7777roto7777 Posts: 2,545 Captain
    Flush mounted rod holders fore and aft
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,394 Officer
    4 inch thick seat cushion!
  • trponhuntertrponhunter Posts: 249 Deckhand
    very cool - congrats Frank.
    *Previous - 2000 Egret 189 carbon w/ vmax 150 - twin rotating prop
    *Previous - 2008 Egret 189 carbon w/ ETEC 150
    *Previous 2010 Beavertail Vengence w/ETEC 90
    *Current - 2015 Beavertail BTV w/ Suzuki 90
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    FlatsBoy wrote: »
    4 inch thick seat cushion!

I asked Frank about that and he said his new foam he is using now is firmer. I think I will still push 4''. Thanks
    I would go with larger screen for the GPS.

I am considering the 9 '' but its a big price increase and I do not know if 800 more dollars is worth 2 inches. What program do you use to manege your way points Glen? I am an old Garmin guy and always used Mapquest.
  • polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,053 Officer
    I dig a color matched console and a moondust or VERY light gray non-skid as it is easier to clean...wish I did gray on mine. Also, I had Frank put a rod holder on the bow close to the cleat. It is the most used holder on the boat.
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    I am considering the 9 '' but its a big price increase and I do not know if 800 more dollars is worth 2 inches. What program do you use to manege your way points Glen? I am an old Garmin guy and always used Mapquest.

If you fish with the HDS 10 screen size, you likely wont want the smaller screen after that. It is particularly useful using split screens of 2,3 and 4 different simultaneous views.
    Put it on a swivel mount so you can turn it to the bow if you want and it is still large enough to see pretty easily. On the waypoints, I still use Garmin Mapsource for some track planning. I think they use Homeport now instead of Mapsource. If Homeport is as good as Mapsource it was the sheet! You can use a Garmin program for that as their planning software is superior. Then use a free program to convert the data to .usr format so you can read on your new machine. GPSBabel works great. With respect to the waypoints, they can all be converted over to read on your new machine but it is likely that the waypoint symbols/colors will show up as generic icons after conversion and you will have to use the machine to change each one back to a Lowrance icon/color of your choice. Get a adapter for the house so you can plug it in at home. Unless they have a new product recently released, the last time I looked, The Lowrance planning software was still way behind the times and it had plenty of issues. Their old Navplanner2 program was very poor overall as a planning tool. I posted a couple of very detailed and lengthly reviews about it and I was not surprised to learn that Navico no longer is using that as their tool but I dont know what they use now. I use Navplanner2 as it has one superior feature for track edits and I use their reader to save the data to the data chihp but I use the garmin software from years ago for the heavy lifting, convert it, and then use the Navplanner2 for any fine tuning. Once the waypoints are in your new machine and changed to the icons you prefer you wont have to mess with them again as they are saved and stored totally separate from tracks and routes.
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 606 Officer
    Get the bigger GPS screen.This is the heart of the boat. No windshield makes removing GPS easy. Are you getting side scan sonar? Any music ? JL Audio.
    At least the 65 yeti.
    Double decker shelf in front. How are you configuring the second storage compartment? cast net,baitwell? I didn't like this and would make it storage.
    Cleats under poling platform.
    I took Pole Positions advice and got the 2 tone deck and console---beautiful.
    I put the Pipelights on the Ameritrail.Easy to see in the rain.
    Good luck.
  • jjchompjjchomp Posts: 35 Deckhand
    I am probably gonna do the same thing. Sell my 189 and get the 2011. ho long is it gonna take from order to pickup. I'm thinkin of ordering soon and having ready for march/april.
  • jjchompjjchomp Posts: 35 Deckhand
    i think mike (reel grimm) is going to upgrade also
  • Last-CastLast-Cast Posts: 233 Deckhand
    X2 on that 4" cushion
    Egret 189
    Maverick 17T sold
    Forgot to inquire:
    Stealth charging system?
    Power pole or two?
    upgrade of live well?
    Frank had gotten ahead of me on the build,and I was hustling to send electronics.
    Price matched at west marine and got the extended warranty.Yes, GPS was very expensive (Simrad w/ sonic hub).
    Anything goes wrong just drop it off and grab a new one in the box.
    Forgot to inquire:
    Stealth charging system?
    Power pole or two?
    upgrade of live well?
    Frank had gotten ahead of me on the build,and I was hustling to send electronics.
    Price matched at west marine and got the extended warranty.Yes, GPS was very expensive (Simrad w/ sonic hub).
    Anything goes wrong just drop it off and grab a new one in the box.

You may be right about the GPS. I am going to price the 9 inch Touch. I am doing dual 8 ft Blade Power-Poles.Live well options is something I guess I am going to discuss with Frank. He has as a standard feature the automatic valved live well in the 2011 but I think you have to open the hatch to adjust the level.
    jjchomp wrote: »
    I am probably gonna do the same thing. Sell my 189 and get the 2011. ho long is it gonna take from order to pickup. I'm thinkin of ordering soon and having ready for march/april.

Its a 7 week wait to build once it is started. I don't know how many he has scheduled. My guess is you need to order asap to make sure you reserve a slot.
    Get the bigger GPS screen.This is the heart of the boat. No windshield makes removing GPS easy. Are you getting side scan sonar? Any music ? JL Audio.
    At least the 65 yeti.
    Double decker shelf in front. How are you configuring the second storage compartment? cast net,baitwell? I didn't like this and would make it storage.
    Cleats under poling platform.
    I took Pole Positions advice and got the 2 tone deck and console---beautiful.
    I put the Pipelights on the Ameritrail.Easy to see in the rain.
    Good luck.

Do you have a 2011? I have my fiberglass yeti from my last egret. It is still in brand new condition. The Lowrance Touch has built in down and side scan sonar. I am not installing the transducer for it any time soon. I do not want one hanging off the back of the boat. I want to see if I can make a bracket to hang it under the motor so it will be used only at low speeds when the boat is off plane. Some guys mount them from under their jack plates. I do not need a jack plate in my area. The hatch in front of the console will more than likely stay single decker. I do like the idea of extra cleats. If someone has them do you use them? I usually tie my boat to the poling platform pretty easy.

How does this poling platform look ? I was told this is the standard now on the 2011. Frank delivered this boat to someone in Fort Lauderdale last week.
    I just built an 18 in May.
    Regarding transducer, mine is inside the hull.
    http://www.airmartechnology.com/2009/products/marine-product.asp?prodid=52&manf=Simrad
    Very happy and out of the way.Less than $200.You have to do it on the build however.
    The yeti 45 is too small and I went w/ 65.If a 21 I'd go even bigger.
    Cleats under platform I have to take the pressure off the platform when docked for any period of time.
    I powered coated the platform,came out vey nice.
  • Carolina FlyCarolina Fly Posts: 72 Deckhand
    The Stealth one charger is probably already included but it is great. I don't know if you fly fish but that is about all I do so I had Frank make a "toe rail" or small wall around the casting platform to help keep the fly line from blowing off the casting deck on my Egret. It might be standard now on 2011 but I also had a 12v power socket installed inside my console when Frank built it. The Ameritrail was a good choice.
  • polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,053 Officer
    I use my cleats that are on the deck under the poling platform all the time.
    I just built an 18 in May.
    Regarding transducer, mine is inside the hull.
    http://www.airmartechnology.com/2009/products/marine-product.asp?prodid=52&manf=Simrad
    Very happy and out of the way.Less than $200.You have to do it on the build however.
    The yeti 45 is too small and I went w/ 65.If a 21 I'd go even bigger.
    Cleats under platform I have to take the pressure off the platform when docked for any period of time.
    I powered coated the platform,came out vey nice.

I know about the airmar one and that is what I will have installed inside the bilge. I was talking about the second structure scan transducer.There is no way to thru hull mount that one. I will not install it on the transom.

I have a 60 quart Fiberglass Yeti cooler. Mine is in brand new condition. The fit and finish is nicer than the roto molded. Yeti did have issues with some and discontinued making them. I never needed any bigger than it. Most of the time I leave it home and use a soft bag when I am by myself.
    The Stealth one charger is probably already included but it is great. I don't know if you fly fish but that is about all I do so I had Frank make a "toe rail" or small wall around the casting platform to help keep the fly line from blowing off the casting deck on my Egret. It might be standard now on 2011 but I also had a 12v power socket installed inside my console when Frank built it. The Ameritrail was a good choice.

Can you post a picture of that? I mainly fly fish and would like to see what you are talking about. I have had the Stealth charging system on my last 4 boats. It is top notch.
    Structure Scan transducer is not really any problem back there on my boat. Its the other one that causes some spray on the cowling.
    If you dont install that feature for your SS compatible chartplotter you are really missing out on a really great tool. It shows the bottom in great detail so you can see what is actually there. For the sounder, I use the SS almost exclusively rather than the regular sounder which is also really great. I can often see the slats in traps, the rope going to them, pipes, ladders, etc. You can install it on the bottom of your Trolling motor with a bracket they provide but that seems highly impractical to me. I am usually idling around with the engine looking for stuff with it before I decide its time to stop and/or deploy the elec. A kit is also available to which you affix your transducer(s) which then gets glued to your transom (removable) without having to drill any hole in the boat. If you did decide to mount SS to the troller you would have to have a swivel mount on your gps or stand behind the helm and steer the troller with your remote.
    Glen , You have a good point. Thanks for taking the time. I hate adding it to the back of the boat so much I am contemplating an jack plate. Transducer Sheild makes an adapter to mount the SS Ducer on it. Does anyone know if a jack plate helps performance on the 2011?
  • trponhuntertrponhunter Posts: 249 Deckhand
    I had the atls jack plate on my 16 silver king - it is a great unit. As long as the boat doesn't start to porpoise, I would add it. The abiltiy to slowly cruise in shallow water is worth the price of admission. Also, check these out for the cushion - I'd be inclined to give it a try
    http://www.ccushions.com/
    *Previous - 2000 Egret 189 carbon w/ vmax 150 - twin rotating prop
    *Previous - 2008 Egret 189 carbon w/ ETEC 150
    *Previous 2010 Beavertail Vengence w/ETEC 90
    *Current - 2015 Beavertail BTV w/ Suzuki 90
  • FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,353 Moderator
    Renagade69 wrote: »

Here's the one time the wife will not mind the increase in price, ask her if an extra 2" is worth the extra $800 :rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:wink

CMD
    Formerly Catmandew
    Catmandew wrote: »
    Here's the one time the wife will not mind the increase in price, ask her if an extra 2" is worth the extra $800 :rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:wink

CMD

My wife actually pushed me into buying this boat and when I asked her about a jack plate she told me to just buy it. She hated the smaller boat. She took the test ride on the 2011 and told me "Now that's a boat we can use for the family" . I did have to order a seat cushion combo that is removable and attaches in between the forward live well and the larger storage compartment.
    I had the atls jack plate on my 16 silver king - it is a great unit. As long as the boat doesn't start to porpoise, I would add it. The abiltiy to slowly cruise in shallow water is worth the price of admission. Also, check these out for the cushion - I'd be inclined to give it a try
    http://www.ccushions.com/

I know that there are a bunch of 2011 models with jack plates installed on them. Frank says it is a West Coast thing. I had an Atlas on a 22 ft Twin Vee Baycat. I replaced two motors/pump units on it in one year. They look really great on the back of the boat but I just had back luck with it. I was thinking the Bobs Action Jack model that has the exterior pump/motor like the Atlasl.Its a proven design with a faster and better pump/motor unit.
    I was advised during my test run on the 2011 that the jack plate works well on the 2011. Clearly its not the best choice for the 18 and not needed but appears to work well on the larger boat. The 2011 is supposed to run as shallow as the 18 and draft the same with no jack plate but also have none of the performance issues with the plate that the 18 has. I would get the jack plate if I was to get the bigger rig as you could likely run it even shallower if needed.

The SHO is popular but I wonder how it would compare to the Verado? The Verado is likely less expensive and surely much less costly to maintain parts wise. I hear its also better on fuel and has as good or better power. When I got my Pro xs it was about $3k less than the comparable yamaha. Jacos is advertising the 250 verado at about $16k. I bet the SHO is closer to $20k.
    The Verodo 250 is 635 lbs and the SHO 250 is 505 lbs. It is lighter than the Etec 250 2 stroke and the same weight as the Merc 250 ProXS 250. It is 18k for the motor so I would be spending more money. The Yami rigging is 2 k and I do not know how much the Verado rigging is. I like the big savings in weight. Right now there is 6 years warranty on the SHO till December. The fuel burn on the SHO is suppose to be great according to Frank.
  • Carolina FlyCarolina Fly Posts: 72 Deckhand
    Here are a couple photos of the toe rail. If I had kept my old boat I was going to make the rails myself out of starboard and screw them down. But I decided to sell it and order the Egret.
    Having Frank install it made for much nicer install!
    IMG_0122b.jpg
    IMGP5612.jpg