Fishing Masks - Whats the deal

triplenettriplenet Posts: 747 Officer
Just curious.... My front strataglass is out for repair - and I see all these guys wearing masks - thought it may help cut down the wind a bit....
Gause Built 26

Replies

• Anonymous 1Anonymous 1 Posts: 51 Deckhand
    If you are talking about Buffs, they cut the wind and keep the sun off of you. Dip it in the cooler water for a quick cool off when you get hot. During the cooler days, they keep you a little warmer too. very cool product.
  • golflaxfishgolflaxfish Posts: 455 Deckhand
    might you be talking about the paintball mask looking things that some bass guys wear? That point set aside, i agree with bds04f, a buff (i have the version made by pelagic) is a very cool product, and serves multiple purposes.
    1970 23 Seabird
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,389 Admiral
  • triplenettriplenet Posts: 747 Officer
    Thanks guys... Buffs look interesting... I think Bass Pro sells em..... Will help with the wind burn while running...
    Gause Built 26
  • razorreilly09razorreilly09 Posts: 8,401 Officer
    As simple and easy as they look, there are several ways to utilize one. I wear it different when I'm running the boat, fishing and snorkeling (helps with hair pull). I also wear one when I'm running/jogging. I would advise reading the back of the holder if it shows the different arangements and ways of wearing one.
  • bbarton13bbarton13 Posts: 142 Officer
    http://www.skinnywaterculture.com/category/stalker-masks

mask really do keep you cool! check this out also
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,036 Captain
    The reason many of us wear some kind of face mask (in my case the UV Buff) is skin cancer, plain and simple. I've had six folks I knew die from melanoma over the years. That stuff just isn't funny... having had my first slight touch of the basal cell variety I'm not wanting to meet the bad version. I'm also wearing gloves, long sleeve shirts and trousers instead of shorts. We were just ignorant about sun damage when I first started working on boats in the early seventies (at least I was).
    Protect your skin, see a dermatologist at least once a year (twice a year for us working in the sun). Your skin never forgets an insult and will pay you back years later if you're not careful.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 10,583 AG
    As someone who has had multiple bouts with basil call and a couple of squamus cell cancers and have been biopsied, frozen, cut, scraped and burned more times then I can count I would advise everyone to take as much precaution as possible.
    Another thing is wear sunglasses with side shields, I currently have a nasty basic cell invasive nodule on the left eyebrow that I am treating with Alladera and may end up having to have surgery anyway.
    Be careful out there.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • OviedoavOviedoav Posts: 139 Officer
    I like the buffs due to the fact that hate to have sunscreen on my face. Always seems to end up in my eyes or on my reel etc. I usually wear long sleeve shirts also to protect my arms. The buffs take a little getting used to at first, as they tend to fog up glasses and seem to be a little hot, but over all, I like them for the protection factor.
  • SuperFlukeSuperFluke Posts: 1,889 Captain
    Patagonia makes one that breathes a bit better than a Buff. It comes in a cool Tarpon scale print too

tcl-pat-sunm-pan-0000-blue-4.jpg
  • Long_Live_SnookLong_Live_Snook Posts: 55 Deckhand
    I use both the Buff and the Patagonia brands because I am in the sun all of the time. I'm 35 and every guide I know that is in his 50's or older has had some bout with skin cancer. Long sleeves, long pants, hat and buff are on me every time I go fishing. I don't cover my feet except with sunscreen, so that may bite me in the *** one day.
  • BlindmulletBlindmullet Posts: 105 Officer
    The guys cutting lawns in the sun wear them too...lol
  • Long_Live_SnookLong_Live_Snook Posts: 55 Deckhand
    The guys cutting lawns in the sun wear them too...lol

Except they are smarter and use old shirts and bandanas, unlike myself who spends money on this stuff.:cookoo
  • seapieseapie Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    I feel naked without my buff. Besides, I like the look I get from tourists.
  • Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,439 Admiral
    seapie wrote: »
    I feel naked without my buff. Besides, I like the look I get from tourists.

Like when they call you Ahkmed? :grin:grin:grin

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • triplenettriplenet Posts: 747 Officer
    Ok - I picked one up today.... Does this mean I can make fun of u guys anymore ???

LOL
    Gause Built 26
  • The DaveThe Dave Posts: 486 Deckhand
    Golf, how is the Pelagic one compared to the Buff brand ? I have the Buff but have been impressed with most of Pelagic's stuff.
    I'll think of something witty to put here.....
  • razorreilly09razorreilly09 Posts: 8,401 Officer
    I use two, breathe like a fish brand and Calcutta. Blaf is lighter, but doesn't actually breathe as well as the Calcutta, is better on cooler days with a breeze or when running the boat. The Calcutta breathes better but heats up and gets warmer from the sun. Just my observations...
  • golflaxfishgolflaxfish Posts: 455 Deckhand
    The Dave wrote: »
    Golf, how is the Pelagic one compared to the Buff brand ? I have the Buff but have been impressed with most of Pelagic's stuff.

i havent actually worn a buff brand, but i have felt one, and my opinion is that the pelagic has a better feel to it than the buff, it also seems that the pelagic has a slightly larger hole, which i feel is better because your face has a little bit of room to move around in when the "buff" is over it.. (the dolphin pattern is pretty cool, too)
    1970 23 Seabird
  • Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,439 Admiral
    I use two, breathe like a fish brand and Calcutta. Blaf is lighter, but doesn't actually breathe as well as the Calcutta, is better on cooler days with a breeze or when running the boat. The Calcutta breathes better but heats up and gets warmer from the sun. Just my observations...

I use the Breathe like a fish brand as well but the cut is strange as they have sewn mesh to help with breathing. When it is over my mouth and nose, the piece coming up over the bridge of my nose doesn't go up high enough.

I think I would like to try the Patagonia or the Pelagic brand.

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • RobpelotRobpelot Posts: 610 Officer
    I like the Breathe Like A Fish Buffs since my glasses dont fog up as much. However, Patagonia's Buffs are pretty beathable. I have one Patagonia, and have been using it a lot since my BLaF shirt is a little small (Medium).

I would like to try some others to see if they are easier to breathe out of. that is the only complaint. It gets a little hot in there when you are not moving. Anyone else have this issue?
  • The DaveThe Dave Posts: 486 Deckhand
    I have the BLAF as well as the Buff - I do notice the Buff gets hot when not moving do to exhaling, however the buff material is thinner and it is looser/stretchier than the Blaf so I use it a lot more in the summer. I may try the Pelagic one some day. Columbia makes one as well, however the material seems a little thick on those.
    I'll think of something witty to put here.....