Replies

• bbluewater5bbluewater5 Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Nice! Wish we had them down in south Florida.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,555 Moderator
    I gotta do that sometime.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,874 Captain
    Can you give me an idea of how you rig your tackle and what you use for bait to catch these? Lets assume I'm not going for the "monster" catfish but just want to catch a few small/medium sized ones for dinner. Do any of the baits off the shelf work well, or do you make your own?
  • rubberduckrubberduck Posts: 46 Greenhorn
    Those are some nice flatheads!! I'm sure you are using live bream right?
  • PeacockFeverPeacockFever Posts: 227 Officer
    those are huge catefish! I know the flatheads get quite large, are they native or exotic by the way? always wondered that. and I assume they are good eating as well.
    There's no such thing as too much bait!
  • CatHunterCatHunter Posts: 38 Deckhand
    They are arguably the best eating fish in fresh water "The Flathead Catfish" We release most fish over 20lbs and just eat the smaller ones. We have an article coming out in Florida sportsman next month that will explain everything you need to know about them. They are new to the state; for the most part it’s like salt water fishing, big reels and line, large live bats, slip leads and big hooks.
    Florida's only Trophy Catfish Guide Service. 850-208-4667
    www.catsfishing.com
    During the winter we hunt Big Blue cats, its a lot of fun.
    www.catsfishing.com
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,843 Captain
    I used to enjoy catching tiny cats when I was a kid. Great pix of the huge ones!

Appalachicola river has such monsters as well as other north/west Florida rivers?
    I used to enjoy catching tiny cats when I was a kid. Great pix of the huge ones!

Appalachicola river has such monsters as well as other north/west Florida rivers?

Apalachicola River has a great population of catfish but for some reason lack the 50+lb fish.
    www.catsfishing.com