Stone Crab

Does anyone ever try to catch stone crab? I see plenty of (presumably) commercial crab traps out there but was curious if any of the recreational guys ever tried their hand at this. Being from out of state, I did not know what the proper etiquette was. Would seem to be a nice way to complement a fish dinner.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• Feeding FrenzyFeeding Frenzy Posts: 247 Officer
    5 private traps with a non resident rec fishing license
    K
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    I was thinking about taking advantage of the opportunity but didn't know if any of you guys who lived locally had ever tried it. It seems like it could be awesome if it worked but unsure if (1) 5 traps would yield anything; (2) how much of a pain in the butt it would be to store the traps when not in use; and (3) what the etiquette was on how close you can put them to other traps- would someone get pissed if you were near "their spot" and cut your float off. Not that I would put them on top of someone else but if you got your trap there first and they are pissed who knows what they'd do. No sense creating ill will for a few crab claws.

Would seem pretty easy to drop the traps on your way out to fish and then pick them up on the way in.

Kevin, where do they sell the traps, West Marine?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,353 Admiral
    All I know is when I'm trolling for grouper and snag a trap, it's a major PITA to haul the darn thing up to get my lure and line back. Way too much work for too little meat IMHO. Just way to easy to go buy the dang things.
    Rmd--Walt's. Should sum it up...
    K
  • fishingkid315fishingkid315 Posts: 1,943 Captain
    Walts as in my favorite restaraunt in the world?? on 41?
    Rmd--Walt's. Should sum it up...
    Sarasota,Fl 
    Fishing, Photography, Life
    Good point guys. Walts has been my favorite for 30+ years. Its even cooler after the renovation. The best part is that they usually have fish that I cant catch on a consistent basis like tripletail, hog, wahoo, yellowtail. Plus their key lime pie is incredible
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SwampsquashSwampsquash Posts: 164 Officer
    I have done it in the past.....But I would take 2 other people with me.....And I would have 5 and each of them had 5.

In good years I got some great amounts...But between Storms and **** crabbers who cut your buoys off (I figured this out by attaching two traps together each with a buoy and well one of them had a cut line)

I always made it a mission to put them away from the crabbers traps.

The only way to really do it, is to learn how to build your own black wire traps. Buying a finished trap for $30+ gets pricy!
  • nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,353 Admiral
    Buy the time you buy your traps, lines, buoys, .........and the big one GAS.......you can buy a **** load of claws for a fraction of the price. But I guess the same can be said for fishing in general!
    ^^ True Dat^^
    K
  • jbsrqjbsrq Posts: 209 Deckhand
    diving for them is fun if you enjoy being in the water
    JB, do you free dive or scuba? Do you do any diving off Siesta Key? That is where we stay when we go down there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jbsrqjbsrq Posts: 209 Deckhand
    RMD, I do both though these days mostly freedive almost exclusively out of Siesta but also venture south to venice and north to Anna Maria. On the right days we get some pretty good diving. When are you usually down? Do you freedive or scuba?
    JB,

I don't currently do any diving, but its something I am extremely interested in pursuing. I'd be interested in both scuba and free diving. As a kid, I snorkeled and fished point of rocks, but its been a while. I think I'd be in pretty decent shape to free dive but as a beginner I would limit how deep I went in order to avoid blackouts, death, or any of that other unpleasant stuff that would leave my kids fatherless. I will be down over Thanksgiving for 10 days and I usually head down every 6 weeks or so, depending on how miserably cold it is up here in Wisconsin. Do you ever do any diving off the beach or exclusively off of a boat? If you ever need someone to head out with I'd love to learn how its done. I think it would be awesome to add some diversification to what I do. Currently I mostly fish offshore which is a blast but obviously time consuming and expensive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]