FT Myers Beach fishing 10/22 - 10/26

Heres some pictures from fishing Fort Myers area from shore the last week. Had a great time and cant wait to get back soon.
caught a little of everything. Started out we got some small Jack Cravalle one morning. The next couple days we got into some really nice big speckled trout. Caught a few nice Flounders every day. I had one really big one but didnt have the camera of course and I released him as I had enough fish to eat. caught my biggest shepshead (ok I guess it was Black Drum, but fun anyways) . I was dissapointed that I couldnt get into the Snook, but I finnally got a nice one Thursday night. Friday the Snook fishing was on fire. caught about 15 in one afternoon. nothing huge but they are still my favorite to catch.
pretty much everything was on artificial baits. Rattle Traps. Yo-zuri crystal minnow, Yo-zuri mag floating, Rapala mag something, and Gulp shrimp on jig heads.
Will be back in Mid June when the kid is out of school. This time it will be for longer hopefully.

Replies

• mtbrider85mtbrider85 Posts: 341 Deckhand
    Nice Job! FYI that is a black drum you caught in the 5th photo, they look very similar to sheepshead when they are Juvenilles.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mklingmkling Posts: 51 Greenhorn
    Thanks mtbrider85, Black Drum. I thought it was too big to be a sheepshead and it did have some whiskers on its chin. I'm still learning this fishery but loving every bit of it.
    gassing up the boat to go walleye fishing at my local lake this week. The below freezing temps in the morning are going to be a shocker after fishing Florida.
  • DemarzacDemarzac Posts: 204 Officer
    Nice variety of fish. Great report!
    "If you want to play an up-tempo, fast-skating game, we can play that game. If you want to muck and grind in the corners and along the boards, we can play that game too."-Famous Coach
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    Nice work gentlemen
  • NailerNailer Posts: 304 Deckhand
    Very cool. It looks like you two had a great time.
  • emhil07emhil07 Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    good job!
    not sure what this thing was. I saw a Batfish on shore, but this had a much larger mouth.

Ethan with a trout. He was quite the trooper getting up and hiking out to our spot every morning in the Dark. My wife didnt make it out sometimes right away or we would have some more pics.
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,676 Moderator
    Thanks for the great report..Early morning with your son on the beach fishing BOY O BOY life is good in SW florida..
    larrywitt
  • J_WaRd_29J_WaRd_29 Posts: 51 Greenhorn
    If that's not a batfish, I'd guess an oyster cracker . . . oyster crackers are ugly like that with huge mouths that are capable of taking off some fingers no problem.
    OfficialLogowithDaku1_zpsb67d114c.jpg
  • perlman1234perlman1234 Posts: 1,449 Officer
    Great job and that is a great way to spend time with the kid. By the way that is a toad fish. Oyster toad fish more than likely and they are a pain in the ***. Hope you continue to have success with your boy. That black drum is perfect eating size... too big and they get worms. I opened one up before I knew a long time ago and they were as big as night crawlers. I swore off fish wor a while after that. They lose those stripes as they get bigger as well.
    I released the Black Drum. He was alive and healthy. Had my wife take pictures and then she thought it was too cute for me to keep and made me let it go...
    I'm off to cook some flounder up for dinner. heading out for Walleye tommorrow. Still not used to this cold he in Wisconsin, high of 46 tommorrow.