Skip to main content
Home Photography Corner

Slide scanner?

MadpoodleMadpoodle SoFlo Baby!Posts: 761 Officer
Have a bunch I would lke to scan. Prices all over the board. Anyone have one they reccomend? Mac friendly preferred, but I do have a winders machine at the office...
Water rat

Replies

• rodzrodz Posts: 670 Officer
    I have a lot(200+) to migrate to digital and found the one that connects to the camera lens for about sixty dollars. It was suggested on several other photo forums. Scanners can be pricey but you can rent, Hasselblad has some nice scanners but beyond what I need. Sending to a service does fluctuate widely in price depending on file size. Having images outside of my possession I doubt would happen. I'm going to try the $60 gizmo first . . . at B&H.

Here's the one I want . . .
    s.jpg 58.6K
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
    I have seen the 'blad in action and it's results. Truly amazing. If' you are going to sit down and commit a week of your life to a scanning project, rent one from one of the big rental houses in NYC.

Now reality. I was given the project of converting over to digital about 2K family slides, an extremely time consuming and laborious project. I would not do it again. Because I believe my time is worth something I was definitely farm out the scanning project to an vendor. If it were me, I would take them to a vendor in batches of 30 or 40, in case they somehow got lost, not everything would be lost.

In my case, because there were other things going on I could not commit a large block of time to the project. With that said, it took several hours to do 60, 70, maybe 80 slides in a day. When I was done, I sold the scanner because I never wanted to see it again.

If you want to try, I used one of these: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/685040-REG/Plustek_60_A1A_BBM310_C_OpticFilm_7400_Scanner.html

Not too costly and high rez.

Good luck and tell us how it goes. Thanks.
  • Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,991 Admiral
    I've got close to a thousand BOXES of slides at home. One of these days....

I really need to go through them and toss 90%....painful to even think about it....

I've heard good things about Nikon slide scanners.
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events
  • GermGerm Posts: 1,704 Captain
    best buy had some $100-$150s in store that scan negatives and slides. Cant comment on quality though.
  • MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
    I bought the Ion Slides 2pc a couple of years ago after we discovered a load of old slides in my MIL's home after she passed.. These were mostly of my wife, who was an only child.

It worked OK.

It is aso supposed to be able to convert negatives. But I haven't had the time to mess with that yet.

ion_slides_2_pc_mkiii_news.jpg
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
  • MadpoodleMadpoodle SoFlo Baby!Posts: 761 Officer
    I have probably 2000 minimum I want to convert. Sounds like I might be better off to farm them out. Will look art the units noted above though, thanks for the tips!
    Water rat