Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Hubbards trolling etiquette?

If you don't have a stern spot and there are empty rod holders back there, is it cool to use one?

Replies

• FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,222 Captain
    Depends on how many tattoos and teeth the person on either side of you have
  • XafXaf Posts: 1,098 Officer
    Normally it's not a problem. As a courtesy, try to determine who is fishing the spot and ask them if they mind. 99% of the time they don't mind but there's always that 1% :shrug.
  • Bottomfinder#1Bottomfinder#1 Posts: 1,021 Officer
    Based on my last experience on the boat, good luck....
  • Navy_FishingNavy_Fishing Posts: 817 Officer
    Xaf wrote: »
    Normally it's not a problem. As a courtesy, try to determine who is fishing the spot and ask them if they mind. 99% of the time they don't mind but there's always that 1% :shrug.

I agree with Bob. I have trolled in the past, but I am normally on the stern or in a corner spot. I have seen plenty of folks troll who were up forward. I think trolling on the way out is over-rated as you normally are limited to kings, spanish, and bonita. They won't slow down for you, so you really have to horse them in.
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,458 AG
    Trolled a few times, but usually I was stretching/untwisting my line on my rods.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • XafXaf Posts: 1,098 Officer
    The guys that have the most success use electric reels and planers. As Navy said, mostly kings, spanish and bonita.
  • TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 318 Deckhand
    I troll most every time I go. There are two different times to troll, on the way out and in between spots out in the grounds. Sometimes on the way out there is no one who wants to troll and sometimes there is a lot. I usually ask the person (if I can find them) if they have a rod in one of the trolling holders unless I have a stern spot. I know XAT well but I still ask him to use his spot before I fish in it. On the way out, people troll all kinds of stuff. Some of it works and some of it just tangles up everyone's lines. Less people tend to troll between spots once the boat is out in the grounds. Either they are eating, resting, or doing something else. And sometimes the move between spots is only a mile or less and, to me, not worth putting out the trolling gear, to only troll 5 or 10 minutes. Sometimes they do make longer moves and you can troll up to 30-45 minutes.

I always thought that if you are going to pay all that money to go on a trip you might as well maximize your fishing time and trolling is a part of that. I even bring a fold up chair to sit in and then put my feet up and wait to hear those reels start to sing! wwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee It is a different kind of excitement than the bottom fishing, but I do prefer the bottom fishing! That is why I love those trips! Everthing else is just icing on the cake!