Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Wanted Middle Grounds Trip.

2»

Replies

• Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,458 AG
    The ba information is that charter captains won't go overnight without a mate. I'm insanely confused on bag limits now, but I can tell you I go multiple nights to the tortugas a few times a year with a single captain. And he doesn't know any of us.

Really, I don't want to get defensive here but all I'm doing is asking if anyone knows of a charter and its a full on assault! Is there an anti charter bias on these boards or something that I didn't know about?
    Not sure where you think there are mods telling you you can't.

As for the mate, IMHO, I wouldn't think that a captain would want to make that long trip with out one, but that's just my OPINION.

If you want some clarification on the rules you can go to Ask The Law section and pose your scenario. There is a Federal officer who can answer your question.

Either way, good luck with finding a charter and give us a report when you do. :beer

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • Yankee CaptsYankee Capts Posts: 978 Officer
    This how it works.

1.) South Atlantic

Charter Boats - 2 Day Limit

Party Boats - 3 Day Limit

Trip must span 2 or 3 calendar days. Must have bunks and receipt to prove you were on such a trip.

2.) Gulf of Mexico

Party and Charter 2 Day Limit Only. Must have 2 Captains. Must have bunks and receipt to prove you were on such a trip.

Some of the species do not apply or have their own limits. Also private boats never, ever get a multi day limit.

I might have missed a couple of small points but the major points are there.

Also the comments about the mates?

If your vessel is inspected then you must follow the crew requirements of the USCG COI.

Greg
  • SJCSJC Posts: 2,571 Captain
    This Rooster guy must have been dropped on his head as a kid. The law is the law. I didn't read anywhere on here that anyone bashed charters. The mate issue is common sense. I'm no captain but I'm not going out 2-3 days with D-bags that think they know how to run a boat.
    The Beatings will continue until moral improves!
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 3,237 Moderator
    This how it works.

1.) South Atlantic

Charter Boats - 2 Day Limit

Party Boats - 3 Day Limit

Trip must span 2 or 3 calendar days. Must have bunks and receipt to prove you were on such a trip.

2.) Gulf of Mexico

Party and Charter 2 Day Limit Only. Must have 2 Captains. Must have bunks and receipt to prove you were on such a trip.

Some of the species do not apply or have their own limits. Also private boats never, ever get a multi day limit.

I might have missed a couple of small points but the major points are there.

Also the comments about the mates?

If your vessel is inspected then you must follow the crew requirements of the USCG COI.

Greg
    Thanks for the Input Greg.
  • AquaRoosterAquaRooster Posts: 603 Officer
    Thanks Greg. I've been doing these trips for years on the Atlantic side, so contrary to all the bashing and pm's from people warning me about the Lacey act (****?!?), nothing illegal going on. I asked on the keys forum because i know trips like this go out of the keys every day of the week. It's a shame you can't do the same thing to the middle grounds without a second captain. Simeon--thanks for your helpful "the law is the law" comment. But it's not a question of common we sense....a second licensed captain costs money and makes a multi-day six person trip tough to do at a reasonable price.
  • SaveMyRiverSaveMyRiver Posts: 430 Deckhand
    maybe you should post your question in the East Central forum if you're asking about Atlantic
  • FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,222 Captain
    Greg - i appreciate your opinion and experience. i would think a good argument can be made that 2 captains does not apply to a qualified charter boat based on this from page 9 of gulf coast requirements.

"persons on qualified Charter boats or head boats with 2 captains in trips in excess of 24 hours may posses 2 day bag limits of reef fish, king Mack, and Spanish mack. "

If two captains are needed for both situations, why wouldn't they use an And rather than an OR?
    FishInFL wrote: »
    Greg - i appreciate your opinion and experience. i would think a good argument can be made that 2 captains does not apply to a qualified charter boat based on this from page 9 of gulf coast requirements.

"persons on qualified Charter boats or head boats with 2 captains in trips in excess of 24 hours may posses 2 day bag limits of reef fish, king Mack, and Spanish mack. "

If two captains are needed for both situations, why wouldn't they use an And rather than an OR?

Is this guy seriouis:banghead How hard is this?
    Savemyriver = troll
  • Navy_FishingNavy_Fishing Posts: 817 Officer
    Charter or head boat is the same thing and requires 2 captains.
  • Yankee CaptsYankee Capts Posts: 978 Officer

I have no idea why it is like that. All I know it is the CFR.

Call the feds and ask them?

Greg
    I may call Capt Stabbin. He knows all!
    sc3099 are you getting all this?:USA
    I may call Capt Stabbin. He knows all!

Does he make the trip out to the middle grounds??:funnypost
  • sc3099sc3099 Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    I think I am even more confused after asking the question.
    Ahh, the op is back. Here's what I would do for an extended mg trip. Similar to a headboat trip, leave late Friday afternoon, fish Saturday as much as you can, catch some sleep from midnight to early Sunday morning, back home mid Sunday afternoon. As I mentioned, if you're interested in something like that, I'll put you in touch with a couple charters.

sent from 50 miles offshore from my Obamaphone
  • sc3099sc3099 Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    I am interested.... Thank you. Email. [email protected]