Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Wanted Middle Grounds Trip.

Does anyone know of a full weekend middle grounds trip? I don't want to do the big party boat trip because I would just want it to be my group. We would like to leave on a Thursday and come back on a Sunday. My brother is getting married and I am just starting to look for ideas.

Replies

• Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 3,246 Moderator
    How many people?

sent from 50 miles offshore from my Obamaphone
  • sc3099sc3099 Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    A minimum of 4 but I can easily get up to 10.
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,460 AG
    What time of year?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • AquaRoosterAquaRooster Posts: 603 Officer
    I've wondered about a similar trip for my group. A sleep aboard for 2-3 nights. Maybe something in the 45-50 foot range? Are there charters like this hitting the grounds?
  • fishtampa247fishtampa247 Posts: 51 Deckhand
    The viking fleet out of tarponsprings,They can put you on the meat. They run the gulf star to the grounds,The elbow and everywhere in between.
    Call Capt Rich he will get you out there.
    The viking fleet out of tarponsprings,They can put you on the meat. They run the gulf star to the grounds,The elbow and everywhere in between.
    Call Capt Rich he will get you out there.

Do they do charters? If they do that is good to know. :thumbup:

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
    I'm not sure the Viking is what we're talking about. Something a little smaller and more private. 6-10 anglers, no mate, no tackle, etc. just a boat, captain, and ice for 6-10 anglers for maybe 2-3 days. Any other ideas?
    There's going to be a mate on a charter, just the way it is, no captain is going to run his boat with total strangers for 3 days. I know of a couple boats that will take up to 6, more than that it'll end up being 2 boats, or a head boat. Thursday through Sunday is quite a while, you realize on a private charter you get a one day bag limit regardless of length of time unless you have an additional captain on board for each additional day's bag and bunks for all on board. With Gags and American Reds closed your limits could be met rather quickly on the open species, just food for thought. I'll make some calls and check availability/willingness to do a lengthy trip as described, and post back what I find out.
    Actually, I charter a boat a few times a year to the tortugas with no mate. Just a captain and six of us on the boat. It's a fairly common setup for overnight charters where anglers use their own tackle.
    Also, FYI, we take multiple days limits on the same charter. Just one captain.
    Actually, I charter a boat a few times a year to the tortugas with no mate. Just a captain and six of us on the boat. It's a fairly common setup for overnight charters where anglers use their own tackle.
    It all depends,if you've chartered before and you're a regular with the boat, then, yea, I can see going without a mate. Out of the blue 6 fares showing up and wanting to go to the Middle Grounds for 3 days, probably not. You seem to know more about this than me, so have at it.
    Charter vessels/
    headboat twoday
    bag limit
    allowance
    Persons on qualified charter vessels or headboats with
    two captains for trips in excess of 24 hours may possess
    2 days’ bag limits of reef fish species, king mackerel
    and Spanish mackerel. One-day bag limits apply on
    all other species and trips regardless of length.

That's the law, what ever your captain does is his business.
  • Navy_FishingNavy_Fishing Posts: 817 Officer
    Also, FYI, we take multiple days limits on the same charter. Just one captain.

More than 2 days and you are breaking the law, but that sounds like a choice.
    Not in international waters.
  • FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,222 Captain
    yeah, I also disagree with how they are interpreting the laws and regulations. Plenty of legitimate charters take several day overnight trips without two captains and without a mate. Plenty of examples in the keys, so not sure why it cannot occur here?
  • Navy_FishingNavy_Fishing Posts: 817 Officer
    Aqua, you are full of the BS. You have to dock back in the states, unless you are out of country and then your point is null and void. You can only possess 2 days bag limit on specific fish and only if you meet specific conditions. If you don't know the law, you shouldn't comment on it.
  • fishtampa247fishtampa247 Posts: 51 Deckhand
    Mango Man wrote: »
    Do they do charters? If they do that is good to know. :thumbup:

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Yes they do private charters, They are good no smoke being blown here. The mutton on my avatar was caught with them. One of many. I think there were 15 people on that trip.
    Are those gulf coast specific laws? It appears that the Dry Tortugas areas via www.fishandy.com dont need to follow those rules. In addition, the summary here states one thing and the gulf states otherwise. I hate how confusing they make things, especially hunting these days

http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/extended-trips/
    Having a mate has nothing to do with this. In my opinion, I was stating that most charter Capt.s wouldn't run offshore for 3-4 days without their mate, unless they were very comfortable with the fares helping to run the boat. Running the boat is much more than having your own tackle, rod and reels, bait etc.
    Haha. Easy fellas. Just jerkin ya with the international waters defense. Obviously in the tortugas were keeping reef fish, hence the two day limit. I break laws, but not as it relates to keeping illegal fish.

Just trying to ask about charters to the middle grounds....not trying to get my balls busted on a million technicalities. But thanks everyone for all the info.
    I don't think anyone's trying to bust your balls, but this topic comes up alot and is confusing for some who aren't familiar with it. I don't think you want to get busted with a 2 day possession limit when you can legally have only one.

Abraham Lincoln
    I'm not offended or anything, but there's a lot of bad info on here. You can keep multiple days limits on reef fish. So a charter to the middle grounds that goes overnight is allowed to bring home a lot
    of targeted fish. And the idea that no charter captain will take people out without a mate is ridiculous. That's entirely made up. Your readers are getting bad information
  • Mango TangoMango Tango Posts: 2,019 Captain
    this is what I have always understood as the rule.......

Charter vessels/
    headboat two day bag limit allowance
    Persons on qualified charter vessels or headboats with
    two captains for trips in excess of 24 hours may possess
    2 days’ bag limits of reef fish species, king mackerel
    and Spanish mackerel. One-day bag limits apply on
    all other species and trips regardless of length.

The latest FWC reg on their website says this........http://myfwc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2011/~/can-i-keep-2-days-bag-limit-on-a-multi-day-fishing-trip%3F

Another exception (b) applies only when a person is fishing from a headboat or charter boat on a trip that spans more than 24 hours. This situation allows an individual to posses double the bag limit provided:

The vessel has a sleeping berth for each passenger aboard the vessel;

Each passenger possesses a receipt issued on behalf of the vessel that verifies the length of the trip.

........and I'll add that at no time can a recreational fisherman ever have more than one day's limit of fish on his vessel regardless of how many days he has been out.
    I'm not offended or anything, but there's a lot of bad info on here. You can keep multiple days limits on reef fish. So a charter to the middle grounds that goes overnight is allowed to bring home a lot
    of targeted fish. And the idea that no charter captain will take people out without a mate is ridiculous. That's entirely made up. Your readers are getting bad information
    Bad information? A million technicalities? That's simply not true. The fact of the matter is you can't keep more than a one day bag limit of reef fish unless you have met the conditions prescribed by law, two captains on board happens to be one of the conditions. You, sir, are the one with bad information. You need to reread the posts regarding a mate, however, a quick poll today at my marina today confirmed what I said, of the three prominent charter captains I talked to, all agree with what was posted regarding mate participation. Our readers are not getting bad information.
    Thank you. This proves my point--there are circumstances where you can charter a boat and take multiple days bag limits. Why is everyone so eager to stop people from taking charters? I was just asking if anyone knew of a multi-day charter out to the middle grounds and every moderator on here jumps in to tell me its not possible!
    Some official poll, now that is a good one! So, I spoke to capt. Hook, capt. Sparrow, and capt. Morgan at my marina and they said all you need is :

Another exception (b) applies only when a person is fishing from a headboat or charter boat on a trip that spans more than 24 hours. This situation allows an individual to posses double the bag limit provided:
    The vessel has a sleeping berth for each passenger aboard the vessel;
    Each passenger possesses a receipt issued on behalf of the vessel that verifies the length of the trip.
    Really, I appreciate all the info, but I just asked if anyone knows if such charters exist. I guess they don't.
    Capt. Blackbeard just called me back and mentioned that according to gulf rules:

Persons on qualified Charter boats or head boats with 2 captains in trips in excess of 24 hours may posses 2 day bag limits of reef fish, king Mack, and Spanish mack

So two captains are only needed on head boats.
    The ba information is that charter captains won't go overnight without a mate. I'm insanely confused on bag limits now, but I can tell you I go multiple nights to the tortugas a few times a year with a single captain. And he doesn't know any of us.

Really, I don't want to get defensive here but all I'm doing is asking if anyone knows of a charter and its a full on assault! Is there an anti charter bias on these boards or something that I didn't know about?
  • ComandanteComandante Posts: 289 Deckhand
    AquaRooster! you have a Private Message