Tripletail from a kayak in SWFL??

jvanpeltjvanpelt Posts: 411 Deckhand
This year I've been thinking about taking the kayak off of the beach in the Ft Myers area for tripletail and hitting the crab pots off of the beach. Has anyone tried it before in this area? Any advice or tips would be much appreciated.
:USA:fishing

Replies

• pjstevkopjstevko Posts: 513 Officer
    It seems completely doable, you'd just have to pick a calmer day.

As far as bait goes i think most people will tell you live shrimp but i know they will hit DOA shrimp, small glass minnow imitations, mirrolure mini's, and small bucktails.

Let me know when you're gonna try this and i might join you......if you think a Tarpon 120 is worthy of a "off-beach" trip

PJ
  • livebhaterlivebhater Posts: 62 Deckhand
    What beach are you thinking of hitting???
  • jvanpeltjvanpelt Posts: 411 Deckhand
    I was thinking about launching off of either Sanibel or Bonita Beach. Livebait isn't a problem, I've got a livewell for the kayak so I can do that. I will probably have some artificial tied on too. I want to get it done within the next couple of weeks on the first non windy day. Your tarpon should be fine out there
    :USA:fishing
  • livebhaterlivebhater Posts: 62 Deckhand
    Sounds cool. Might have to join you on such an adventure. I'd be happy catching spanish macks and blues off the beach if nothing else after not really having a day off for two whole weeks....
  • BobbkkatBobbkkat Posts: 141 Officer
    I launched down in the ten thousand island two weeks ago and went out to one of the markers out there. On the first cast I hooked a 25 inch triple tail, and the hook pulled right when I got it to the yak. Got him on a live handpick shrimp with a split shot. Also pulled a nice pompano at that spot

Coby Pawlowski
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.unfairlures.com

Hobie_Team_Avitar.gif
  • rabbitrabidrabbitrabid Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    I got one two weeks ago out of my yak, off indian rocks beach. I had to go 3 plus miles out to find him. The crab pots here don't have any barnacle growth on them yet, so I went out and checked some bouys. Take some select shrimp, you don't want to get on one and find he isn't interested in your artificials. I have never come across one that wouldn't take a big fat shrimp.
    24 inches around 12lbs not a monster but from the yak I'll take it. He made the kitchen sink look small
    267.jpg 94.3K
  • JSTickumJSTickum Posts: 412 Deckhand
    jvanpelt wrote: »
    This year I've been thinking about taking the kayak off of the beach in the Ft Myers area for tripletail and hitting the crab pots off of the beach. Has anyone tried it before in this area? Any advice or tips would be much appreciated.
    Barefoot Beach would be your best bet Jim , the traps are closer to the beach and there is a small ledge and live bottom aswell . They were their 2 Fridays ago on almost all traps , we picked up 8 of them , but only 2 keepers . Shrimp is the best or small crabs ( 1 to 2 inch ) , other fish in that area Pompano should be moving in and keep your eyes open for Cobia .