Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Penn 430SS - Spooling Advice

I have a 2nd gen, Penn 430SS reel that I would like to use for sportier inshore fishing. I plan to pair it with a 6' to 7' M action rod for casting light jigs/lures. I know I won't get as much casting distance out of the shorter rods, but I will be able to get just what I need for where I intend to fish.

My main question is: Has anyone used braid on one of these older Penn reels? I know I would need to use mono backing, but even then, would the reel be able to collect the braid effectively* or am I better off slapping some 6/8lb mono on? I plan to spool it with 8 or 10# braid.

*I am wondering if it will get a ton of wind knots and what knot.

Thanks,

-Dooze

Replies

• Capt. PantsCapt. Pants Posts: 667 Officer
    I use braid on my 5500SS, 7500SS as well as my 650SS reels. No problems to date. Issues occur with braid if it's not spooled properly.
    Don't have any smaller reels wound with lighter braid, but don't imagine it would be an issue.
    Jimmy
  • Prop BlastProp Blast Posts: 375 Officer
    On that reel I'd stick with mono, 6 or 8lbs. The worm gear and line roller will work better with mono than braid. Frankly, the line roller on the older reels has a good bit of play in them and the thin braid (20lbs and lighter) has a chance of getting caught. I know some folks use braid without a problem, but I'll bet it's heavier line class.

PB
  • juniorbasserjuniorbasser Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    Prop Blast wrote: »
    On that reel I'd stick with mono, 6 or 8lbs. The worm gear and line roller will work better with mono than braid. Frankly, the line roller on the older reels has a good bit of play in them and the thin braid (20lbs and lighter) has a chance of getting caught. I know some fo
    lks use braid without a problem, but I'll bet it's heavier line class.

PB

Agree
  • CaptainBarryCaptainBarry Posts: 151 Officer
    Mono for sure. That spool isn't beveled and the braid doesn't pay off properly. I had to learn the hard way after going through about $60 worth of braid.
    6858649558_117861d680_n.jpg
  • DoozeDooze Posts: 234 Deckhand
    Thx guys. Mono it is. I usually use ANDE, but since I only have this reel to fill I will probably look for a smaller spool.
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,419 Admiral
    Dooze wrote: »
    Thx guys. Mono it is. I usually use ANDE, but since I only have this reel to fill I will probably look for a smaller spool.

take it by stones on edgewood they have maxima mono and a machine to put it on with , should be cheaper than buying a spool of line.
    William Doolittle aka "Will Do." I've actually never been in that place so I am looking forward to checking it out.
    Thanks for the recommendation johnD. The shop didn't have any bulk 6lb, but they did have a 330 yard spool of 6LB Berkley Trilene XL (clear). I bought that and he spooled it up for free.
    I paired it with the only ultralight rod I had, which is some 6'0 two piece bass rod my cousin left at my place and that will have to do. Ready to get into some inshore wading action this week. Look for some reports to drop come weeks end.
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,419 Admiral
    cool ! you should have some fun with that combo. good luck out there.