Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Docklights are dying down

Are all my reds trout and snook headed for the warmer waterways? The only things I have seen my lady couple trips inthe lights are juvi trout and the occasional ****. Where are they going?

I wake up and **** excellence

Replies

• SnookmeisterSnookmeister Posts: 1,035 Officer
    It depends where the lights are. Sometimes the fish will move out for all the bait and mullet then comeback when it really cools down. We are in transitional Season, the summer lights might be good again once things kinda stablize come winter, I know spots like this. It just all depends, if your lights are near the barrier islands For example, they might be gone for the season. It all depends.
    Catch 'em and Release 'em!
    http://tampaurbanangler.blogspot.com/
  • rabbitrabidrabbitrabid Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    As the water cools there will be less trout and reds, and more snook snapper and catfish. Happens every year
  • haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,406 Captain
    But where do they go? Where can we catch the fish that move?
  • SwizzleSwizzle Posts: 534 Officer
    As the water cools there will be less trout and reds, and more snook snapper and catfish. Happens every year

You are in my neck of the woods, what approach for intercoastal and back country fishing would you recommend about this time? I really only fish at night. I used to fish coffee pot and shore acres in the cold.

I wake up and **** excellence
  • jbsrqjbsrq Posts: 229 Deckhand
    the reds tuck up in shallower/warmer water
  • Renfro MeeksRenfro Meeks Posts: 32 Deckhand
    jbsrq wrote: »
    the reds tuck up in shallower/warmer water

The water hasn't really cooled..it's only down 2 degrees..the mullet are really starting to school and the fish are following.
  • jbsrqjbsrq Posts: 229 Deckhand
    The water hasn't really cooled..it's only down 2 degrees..the mullet are really starting to school and the fish are following.

it's down to 77 which is moving in the right direction. The pelagics have started migrating southbound and the reds will definitely be close behind in their migration to the shallow warm back waters.
  • rabbitrabidrabbitrabid Posts: 22 Greenhorn

Guess I should have clarified. Cool water = less trout and reds on the lights, then the snook,snapper, and a mixed bag of juvie fish show up on the lights. Where do the trout and reds go? I know from fishing the beach we start getting really nice trout just past the second sandbar, and they will be there until the bait has moved south. Grass flats always hold trout, if you can find shallow grass flats, that have good flow and some deeper cuts for them to escape too, you'll find them there. I have never targetted redfish, so best of luck with those guys, if I were to go looking for them I would start at the oyster bars with cut pinfish at the peak of the high tide all the way to the middle of the low. now you know what I know and that ain't much, so best of luck!
  • Renfro MeeksRenfro Meeks Posts: 32 Deckhand
    jbsrq wrote: »
    it's down to 77 which is moving in the right direction. The pelagics have started migrating southbound and the reds will definitely be close behind in their migration to the shallow warm back waters.

The shallows were what I was referring to.