Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Tampa Bay Redfish

Headed out of Maximo Park this morning at 6 am. Had a mix of stupid small whitebait, shrimp, and pins. Hit a flat right at sunrise and was chasing a school of 20 - 30 fish and they were all slobs and moving fast. **** things would not chew anything from live bait, spoons, DOA's, or Gulps. Finally they slowed down and we anchored up and threw some cut pins at them a few half hearted nibbles but they just did not want to eat. After 30 min of frustration I finally got a taker. He made a quick burst but felt like a lower slot fish. Then when he saw the boat he ripped 100' of line and circled the boat twice. He came out to 34". Got a couple of pics then safely released him. Didn't get much more but a couple of schoolie Trout and decided to switch it up.

I wanted to run the beach and try sight fishing some Tripletail on Stone Crab trap buoys. As soon as we cleared the pass and the winds kicking I said screw that and turned back in. Went to another flat for some Trout. Loaded up the rest of the day. What shocked me was we got 2 short Gag Grouper and a Black Sea Bass in 2' of water on a grass flat??

GOPR4350_zpsf04b9b06.jpg

GOPR4393_zpsaa476c77.jpg

Replies

• DoozeDooze Posts: 234 Deckhand
    Thanks for the report SSS and very nice slob. It is usually a sign of a fishy flat/drop off nearby if you find grouper/snaps in shallow water like that. Nice underwater shot. That is some sharp looking grass.
  • SouthshoreSlayerSouthshoreSlayer Posts: 408 Deckhand
    Dooze wrote: »
    Thanks for the report SSS and very nice slob. It is usually a sign of a fishy flat/drop off nearby if you find grouper/snaps in shallow water like that. Nice underwater shot. That is some sharp looking grass.

It was some surprise to see a baby gag come up. In all honesty the way is was sticking to the bottom I thought it was a catfish. Water clarity is finally getting better so the underwater shots with the GoPro are actually turning out alright.
  • VinnygbkVinnygbk Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    Real nice fish love the underwater shot