When do the Mullet start in good numbers? Looking for some

I am near Englewood and looking for ~ 50-100 fish in the 3-4# range to make up some smoked mullet dip and a pile of plain smoked fillets. Less of a little bigger size.
The dip sells for ! $20/lb but I can make it and smoke it.
Port Charlotte, Florida

Replies

• nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,356 Admiral
    christ almighty. I was surrounded by huge schools of mullet most of the day in Pine Island Sound. I was seriously noisy from all the jumping!
  • RexLanRexLan Posts: 868 Officer
    Why not take a net and get some?
    Port Charlotte, Florida
  • gitnerdungitnerdun Posts: 34 Deckhand
    less real estate time, more water time. Mullet are thick, get them before the roe guys show up.

Myself, I prefer to use them for bait.
    I'm actually retired and only take on a small select few who are serious and need the extra effort I give. Not in it for the $$

I don't have a boat and know squat about the mullet or catching them ...:shrug
    Had plenty of water time in my first life but have had exactly zero in Florida!
    Port Charlotte, Florida
  • chicochico Punta Gorda and PennsylvaniaPosts: 537 Officer
    Hye Rex, if all else fails, you can stop by, or call Peace River Seafood. They are on 17 North of Punta Gorda. They catch and sell all local seafoods. With that quantity you should buy at wholesale price. Good luck.
    chico wrote: »
    Hye Rex, if all else fails, you can stop by, or call Peace River Seafood. They are on 17 North of Punta Gorda. They catch and sell all local seafoods. With that quantity you should buy at wholesale price. Good luck.

Are you back here now?
    Port Charlotte, Florida
  • chicochico Punta Gorda and PennsylvaniaPosts: 537 Officer
    Still up here, fishing for Haddock, pollock and cod! Planning on a two week fishing trip to Punta Gorda over the Christmas/New Years holidays. If you are into smoking fish, I will keep you in mind next time we get into the spanish macs. The right place, at the right time, and you can easily load up on them.