Offshore Oct 19

Had a great day offshore Venice Yesterday. Headed out past the 60 mile mark with glass calm seas and sunny skies.

On our first drop, all four rods bent over and we were immediately on a great grouper bite. One of our guys was reeling up to check his bait only to get hit by a wahoo about 20 ft under the boat. Unfortunately, the estimated 30 lb fish quickly made short work of the leader. Worst part of the grouper bite was weeding through all of the endangered red snapper. Those things have just about run over every piece of structure in our area and competition for food appears to be stiff. We had a ratio of about 4 ars to every grouper.

We also found nice chunky mangs and even a yellowtail to spice things up. We switched over to trolling at about noon but only managed one dolphin on an Ilander/ballyhoo.

We only used frozen baits (boston mackerel, small bonito and sardines). Great day overall.
a.jpg
c.jpg
d.jpg
f.jpg
g.jpg
h.jpg
i.jpg
e.jpg
k.jpg
K

Replies

• larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,610 Moderator
    Great report to bad it takes such a long run $$ to get on some good fish..My close in spots under 20 miles have not been good this season so far..Going to start hitting the 30 mile spots next few times out..
    larrywitt
  • nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,353 Admiral
    NICE. Looks like glass out on the water.
  • SJCSJC Posts: 2,562 Captain
    Nice
    The Beatings will continue until moral improves!
  • nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,353 Admiral
    Kevin, how do you like that Lip Gripper? Been thinking about getting one. Just wondering how long they will hold up?
  • Feeding FrenzyFeeding Frenzy Posts: 247 Officer
    Those things are absolutely awesome !! I love them. I have had a pair for about two years now and they are going strong. No issues whatsoever and they work as good now as the day I bought them.
    K
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    Great work!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NailerNailer Posts: 301 Deckhand
    Beautiful fish there.