Home Evinrude

Cowling dry rotten

Comanche-pupComanche-pup Posts: 245 Officer
Have any of you guys had issues with you hood and skirt cowling dry rotting or becoming very brittle? I've got an 06 75hp e tech it's garage kept. The cowling just got very brittle and busted all up

Replies

• BillgranBillgran Posts: 349 Deckhand
    Are you talking about the lower motor covers cracking? If so, that is usually from someone overtorquing the screws that hold the covers together or improper assembly by tightening the screws to pull the covers together. Later models have more support by the fasteners.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat"
    --- Travis McGee

• Comanche-pupComanche-pup Posts: 245 Officer
    Billgran wrote: »
    Are you talking about the lower motor covers cracking? If so, that is usually from someone overtorquing the screws that hold the covers together or improper assembly by tightening the screws to pull the covers together. Later models have more support by the fasteners.

Well that too but the motor cover is just braking apart.
    If they are breaking apart all by themselves, and not from cracks started where the screws are located, I've never heard or seen that type of problem. Call Evinrude customer service with your serial number at 262-884-5993. They will probably want pictures and for you to take it to a dealer for evaluation.

--- Travis McGee

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350751540.309965.jpg
    I don't know if it was a bad batch or what, it didn't get hit or anything.
    There is so much missing from me showing people how brittle it is
    I have worked on those motors since they came out in 2003 and have never seen that type of condition that was not caused by impact or pressure on the cover. Let us know what transpires.

--- Travis McGee

I would say other then that, the only problem I had was oil tank? Mechanically it has never even burped! It seems just like oops with the mixture, I will call on Monday though! Thanx for your help