Home Egret Boats

New and Improved Prop Thread!

FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,390 Officer
I will be posting my run numbers from all the props i have run to date. We lost the origional thread which had some great info. I encourage everyone to post there numbers and props they have run on there Egret please be accurate and include pictures or video if you can to back your statements. I will start with the newest prop in the collection!:cool:

This is still my fastest to date and favorite!
Raker II 21 Pitch B&B by Mark Croxton!

Replies

• FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,390 Officer
    So here are my run numbers from the new Mark Croxton Razor 21 pitch 3 blade I’ve been doing R&D on. The prop runs great has more grip than the Ultima 4 blade. The Razor is faster has better fuel economy numbers and is easy to turn I did hit 60 with this prop but didn't get a picture 59.4 was it next time. Some may say why a 21 pitch well I ran the 23 pitch Razor and 22.They were too much pitch. The Mark Croxton Razor is a very accurate pitched prop and runs true to its numbers. I expressed to Mark that I needed a smaller pitch wheel for our flats boats and it took some time to produce but are spot on. They come in a 20,21,22,23 etc. The razor carries the boat differently than the Ultima it doesn't have the stern lift the Ultima so it has more of the stern in the water and more of the bow riding higher. This gives the prop grip and control because there is more hull/prop in the water. It is the summer time still here in Florida and these numbers will only get better as it cools off here with less humidity. I can't wait to see what it will do when the temps drop to the low seventies!
    I will be making some minor tweaks to the prop before I feel it is as perfect as I can make it for our boats! If you’re interested in one of these give me a few weeks to make the final tweaks before you purchase one. It will be worth the wait!

4-3.jpg
    3-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    1-5.jpg
  • tripple dippertripple dipper Posts: 44 Deckhand
    Faster by 2mph, I give that to you. But show me better fuel burn at 3000-4000 than my ultima 21.
    I own an Ultima 21.I know how it runs and what the RPM's are. You are nowhere near 5800 to 6000 with it. That props spins 5500 to 5600 best unmodded running light. The Razor is better overall and uses less oil due to blade design and prop geometry. The Ultima 4 blades along with my Bravo XS 22 pitch consumes more oil due to the motor having more of a load on it to spin the 4 blades fact. They do have benefits over the Razor in ocean running conditions or extreme rough water fact but everyday use the Razor is the best overall I have used in testing props over a two year period since I owned my Egret 189! Please take some pics of your fuel economy next time out with details of rpm's and speed and load just like I have. Talk is cheap please show the masses.This is not a competition here but to show others what props will do under good and adverse conditions and how they run and effect the ride of the Ergrets.
    So for my 2nd prop you think the Razor would be the best choice? Need something for summer, hot weather. 20 or 21??
    What motor do you have?
    The 21 is perfect for the 175 Pro XS under normal loads.
    If you run full of fuel two or more anglers and water in the well all the time then the 20!
    Please wait a couple of weeks so i can tweak the prop for the final setup!
    Pro xs. Phil I actually have the 1st prop thread you did from the old forum somewhere in this house, if I can only find it. I will post it when I do. I love the ultima from now till about June. Then in the summer it gets a bit sluggish. I'll wait to see what you come up with.
    Yes that is the problem with the Ultima 21 in the summer. It puts to much of a load on the motor. Talked to Mark Croxton today. We are real close please hold it will be worth it. If you find it then copy just the prop stats i did onto this page so i don't half to run all my props again and collect the data!:cool:
  • roto7777roto7777 Posts: 2,545 Captain
    I am picking up a prop for my new V Max carb 150 tomorrow. It's a tweaked 19, 3 blade Power Tech. I would like to find a second prop if anyone has a good spare they want to sell.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Last-CastLast-Cast Posts: 220 Deckhand
    roto
    Try Tri County Propeller in Miami ask for Ed 305-378-5246. They have a huge collectin of used props that are reconsiitoned if your just looking for a get me home prop
    Egret 189
    Maverick 17T sold
  • polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,053 Officer
    deleted: off topic.
    Here are the run numbers from my boat today running the Razor 3 blade 21 pitch.Started with 20 gallons fuel ended up with 15 gallons ,gear, cooler, trolling motor on the bow no water in the wells very very windy! Could of stretched it out some more but it got a little hairy at 60 with the wind! Lol!
    It wasn't as humid today so it made a difference can't wait to it gets cool look out then!

6-3.jpg5-2.jpg
    4-4.jpg3-5.jpg
    2-5.jpg1-6.jpg
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 555 Officer
    When I was building my 189 this summer I was really trying to get some data similar to the above for the Yamaha F150 but had a hard time. The two things I was consistently told was top end would be about 50 mph and the fuel consumption is nowhere near as good as the mercury numbers above. After getting a few trips under my belt with the new rig and the motor fully broken in I thought I would post the numbers I'm seeing form my rig.

This is a 189 with 3 Odyssey 1500's trolling motor batteries and a Group 31 cranking battery, Minn Kota i-Pilot, two 8 foot power poles, 35 gallons of fuel, and an average fishing load (cast nets, anchor, tools, safety gear, and tackle), and my 265 pounds. The valve was open on the livewell intake so it also filled up with water while I was running.

These numbers are from freshwater so I assume they would be slightly better in salt since the boat will float higher.

Yamaha F150 with and 18 pitch 4 blade prop (I'm embarrassed to say I have no idea what brand, it's what Frank had on there when I picked it up).

3000 RPMs - 23.5 MPH - 5.88 MPG
    3500 RPMs - 29.9 MPH - 5.86 MPG
    4000 RPMs - 34.4 MPH - 5.38 MPG
    4500 RPMs - 39.0 MPH - 4.70 MPG
    5000 RPMs - 42.9 MPH - 4.17 MPG
    5500 RPMs - 47.3 MPH - 3.56 MPG
    5900 RPMs - 50.2 MPH - 3.02 MPG

Doesn't exactly stack up to the Mercury numbers above but I still love my Yamaha, however if the 175 SHO comes out I may have some things to think about.
    I loved my F150 too, but the Merc is 30% more efficient at 30ish MPH and 20% faster WOT. I am very surprised by the magnitude of difference. Still, I too would look seriously at a SHO 175 if and when it comes out AND assuming it comes in lighter than the SHO 150.
  • trponhuntertrponhunter Posts: 249 Deckhand
    that's crazy efficency
    *Previous - 2000 Egret 189 carbon w/ vmax 150 - twin rotating prop
    *Previous - 2008 Egret 189 carbon w/ ETEC 150
    *Previous 2010 Beavertail Vengence w/ETEC 90
    *Current - 2015 Beavertail BTV w/ Suzuki 90
  • ksjksj Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    I have a C/K 2001 Egret 189 repowered with a 2013 yamaha F150. Any prop suggestions? The Yamaha spec sheet suggests a 14 1/2 x 23 polished SS for a C/K Maverick (closest boat to mine). I think you're running a 21" prop. I don't carry much equipment, but I keep the fuel tank full. I'm looking for a good holeshot, steady performance/ good boat handling more than top speed. Thanks
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    ksj wrote: »
    I have a C/K 2001 Egret 189 repowered with a 2013 yamaha F150. Any prop suggestions? The Yamaha spec sheet suggests a 14 1/2 x 23 polished SS for a C/K Maverick (closest boat to mine). I think you're running a 21" prop. I don't carry much equipment, but I keep the fuel tank full. I'm looking for a good holeshot, steady performance/ good boat handling more than top speed. Thanks
    91tiger just posted some numbers on an 18 pitch. Frank puts the Turbo Ultima 4 blade on the 189 if you do not specify anything and its a great prop.I had this prop on my last two egrets with 150 Evinrudes . I would not use a Maverick rating because the Egret has a deeper V and does not run the same.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • rolemanroleman Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    Renagade69 On your egrets with the evinrudes 150 what rpm were u turning at wot. A friend of mine just bought a 189 from Frank this summer with a 150 e-tec. He is running the Turbo Ultima 4 blade 18 pitch. It was only turning 5300rpms at wot. He had it repitched to a 16 and now is turning 5600. I was just wondering what your numbers were when u had a 150 evinrude.
  • FishinMcNutFishinMcNut Posts: 536 Officer
    I'm patiently waiting to get my hands on the brand new, yet to be released to the public Mercury "Pro Max" prop.
    roleman wrote: »
    Renagade69 On your egrets with the evinrudes 150 what rpm were u turning at wot. A friend of mine just bought a 189 from Frank this summer with a 150 e-tec. He is running the Turbo Ultima 4 blade 18 pitch. It was only turning 5300rpms at wot. He had it repitched to a 16 and now is turning 5600. I was just wondering what your numbers were when u had a 150 evinrude.

I turned it at 5700 rpm running 54-55 MPH with the HO model and the standard 150 got 5400 RPM 50-51 MPH.
    I'm patiently waiting to get my hands on the brand new, yet to be released to the public Mercury "Pro Max" prop.

Looks nice.
    Egret 2011 with a Yamaha 250 SHO

I have to record some numbers for different rpm's but untill I do here is top speed. I am getting 5800 rpm and 69-70 mph out of a Bravo-1 with a light load, and loaded for fishing with two people I get 5600 rpm and 66 mph .
    Dang Renegade, that's strong! How does it run at that speed. The one time I rode on a bass boat going that speed it scared the hell out of me...but I like being in control. Does it get a little squirely at that speed, chine walking and feeling out of contol?
    The 2011 has a pad. Whole different animal than an un-padded boat at speed....but Renegade can provide color commentary.
    With the pad witch happens to be standard ,the boat ride like it is suppose to at top speed with the 250. You can put a 350 on that boat so it is no where near full power with my 250. I have not tried any more props. I am happy with this one so far. I would expect more speed from a 3 blade but you never know. Take note the 69-70mph runs I get are light loaded. I just have a fly rod and bag of flies.
    I also was on the boat with Renagade69 on two different outings. The boat does do those numbers and at wot the boat is rock solid due to the pad.
    Frank offered to take us out on a 20'11" the day I was picking up my 189. I told him no way, I didn't want to have any buyers remorse. Sounds like I made a smart move. I may have been thinking about that boat from now on.
    91tiger wrote: »
    Frank offered to take us out on a 20'11" the day I was picking up my 189. I told him no way, I didn't want to have any buyers remorse. Sounds like I made a smart move. I may have been thinking about that boat from now on.

Smart move!
    Trust me!
  • rolemanroleman Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the reply Renagade69
    So to stay with with tradition and keep the prop thread alive. I had the chance to demo a Mercury Enertia ECO 21 pitch prop.The Enertia ECO is a 16 inch diameter comes in a 19,21 and 23 pitch only! The Enertia ECO is a totally new prop than the old Enertia so don't get the two confused.Here were the results and compared to my Bravo XS 24 pitch and Fury 24 pitch. It makes for a great all around prop.
    How Mercury did it is impressive and it does get the 10% fuel savings on my rig hands down!

http://www.mercurymarine.com/propellers/comp/enertia-eco/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v03G8ula-C0

Boat: 2014 Egret 2011
    Motor: 2014 Mercury Pro XS 250
    Motor hours: 65
    Set Back 8 inches
    Fuel: when tested 35 gallons 1/2 tank
    Boat Load: Full fishing tackle and cooler along with safety gear
    Temp 85 F
    Wind 15 mph
    One Person Aboard

All numbers were taken from my Merc Monitor and Point 1 GPS from my Lowrance.

The 21 pitch Enertia ECO runs great has good hole shot also and just like stated by Mercury going into the wind or with it the fuel economy increased! The prop is with in 1 mph from my Bravo XS 24 pitch WOT 67 to 67.5 at 6100 rpms. The numbers are 2875 rpms 30 mph burning 6.5 to 6.7 mpg, at 3200 rpms 35 mph burning 5.5 mpg and at 4000 43 mph burning 5.1 mpg. That is 10% more than the Bravo.Need to see how the Enertia runs loaded down. Hopefully the numbers stay the same and carry the load.The Enertia doesn't like the jack plate as high as the Bravo.But for a all around fishing prop and fuel savings it's a winner!

The Bravo XS 24 pitch will spin at 6020 WOT at 68.6 mph burning 2.9 mpg. At 4093 rpms 45.2 mph and burn 4.5 gph and at 3000 rpms 30 mph and burn 6.0 mpg that is awesome mid range cruise numbers and fuel economy. The boat feels like it is on rails at all speeds and at WOT it is rock solid!
    The Bravo XS loaded down with two anglers 45 gallons of fuel and full fishing gear will still pull 67 mph which is amazing!
    The Bravo XS also is jack plate friendly with the Atlas plate all the way up the boat will come out of the hole without blowing out or loosing grip. This is a huge benefit for us saltwater guys fishing shallow water and needing to get up with out tearing up our equipment or the environment! The Enertia didn't like the jack plate all the way up coming out of the hole. I did have the plugs wide open so i think with tuning the ports it would help.

The Fury 24 pitch will spin 5910 rpms at 71.8 mph burning 2.9 mpg. The mid range numbers are good with the Fury also but the Bravo has the upper hand there and despite the few mph difference on top end you can not beat it when you load it down. The Fury does fall of and can not carry the full load like the Bravo XS can another brownie point for the Bravo XS!

Fury 24 pitch stock no work done to the prop!
    Fury24PitchWOT_zps0c1d7704.jpg

So the Enertia Eco runs great has less steering torque than the Bravo XS and Fury at cruise and WOT. It won't set any speed records but runs as intended and what it was built for. It would be interesting to run a 23 pitch to see if it comes close to the Fury on Top end and the fuel economy may even be better. But it may to hard to turn when loaded down!

A few pics to see the Enertia side by side to my Bravo XS 24 pitch it's a big sucker! I bet with some tuning the prop could come alive but box stock is a winner in my book and my boat liked it! Can't say your results will be the same but it's the only prop I've tried other than the Bravo and Fury that has increased fuel economy and overall ride!
    Sometimes speed isn't everything folks and that is why i did this post. Since most of the reports and testing here have been all about speed!

Enjoy!

20140504_112155_zps68660839.jpg
    20140504_112655_zpsb02943a4.jpg
    20140504_112144_zps20b62383.jpg