My first " Gator " Trout. Cockroach 7/23

Doing my normal ordeal of fishing my productive holes in 2-5 ft of water on the Cockroach flats. No reds this trip but the trout were hot. 7 keepers and all the shorties you could stand. We were throwing unweighted DOA CALs, live shrimp under a popping cork and no luck on the gold spoons. I got the biggest fish of the day and my biggest trout yet, 26" fatty. He was released.

Over the past year I have been teaching myself inshore fishing. With no one to guide me personally I have researched, asked strangers, googled almost everything about it, and recently turned to you guys here. Through many of trips of trial and error and getting skunked I am proud to say I am getting more consistent of putting fish in the boat. I am pretty pleased with myself but still do not get as many reds as I would like. Thanks for all the info!

206117_1919307302691_1242278241_1774936_7605813_n.jpg

My Gator
trout.jpg

Replies

• sagorysagory Posts: 614 Officer
    Wow what an incredible fish!! Way to do your homework and put yourself on fish. You must be proud. Keep it up and keep the reports coming.
  • flatsjunkie88flatsjunkie88 Posts: 1,364 Officer
    I definitely will do that. Going back out tomorrow and will let you know how it goes.
  • PopeyePopeye Posts: 14,296 AG
    Great. I fish those waters too. Your doing good. Spending time on the water is the best way to learn. Getting "skunked" is a part of fishing. Dont let it discourage you. You are on the right track! Stay safe. Catch fish. Post some more pics.
    When I was younger, I could remember anything...

whether it had happened or not.

Mark Twain
  • Snook ManSnook Man Posts: 207 Officer
    Nice job on the trout :Rockon
  • CaptainRobCaptainRob Posts: 60 Greenhorn
    Check your pm's....maybe I can help with the redfish thing.
    189 Egret
  • B-BroB-Bro Posts: 42 Deckhand
    Nice fish and I'm sure as hot as it is the fish sure aren't easy to find............God Job and way to hang in there learning on your own...........
  • gasparillagasparilla Posts: 358 Officer
    Good job on working your way to fish - that's a real nice trout!
    Cheap, fast, reliable - pick two . . .
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,802 Captain
    :beer good'un
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • GulfWarriorGulfWarrior Posts: 141 Officer
    Nice fish...they don't much bigger than that anymore. Back in the day, there were some out there that would snack on that one. Congrats on a nice catch.