Skip to main content
Home Fly Fishing

Need New Fly Line

jaeforceonejaeforceone Posts: 93 Deckhand
Just started fly fishing (4 months) and went out and got a TFO BVK 8wt with a Nautilus FWC 7/8. I initially went out and got SA Sharkskin Saltwater WF8F line. I've decided this is not the line for me so I want to get a new line but do not know where to start from. I generally fish for redfish, seatrout, and black drum.

Some initial questions:

1. I'm pretty confused about the differences in lines regarding the temperature. I fish from Steinhatchee to Tampa so is a "tropical" line really necessary?

2. The major differences in an "all around" saltwater fly line versus something specialized such as redfish, permit, or bonefish.

3. Shooting lines, shooting heads and double tapers?

4. Using a WF7F or WF9F line for better distance?

Brand related questions:

RIO:Would Redfish WF8F line be more applicable for me rather than the "all around" Saltwater. Any thoughts on the clouser line?

SA(3M): Mastery Series Redfish? Mastery Series Saltwater?

Royal Wulff: Saltwater Triangle Taper? Bermuda Triangle Taper(is this considered a tropical line)?

Airflo: Heard the ridge line is good and has a 5 year guarantee but seems like its pretty hard to get ahold of. Any thoughts?

Cortland: Any good? Also hard to get ahold of.

I would like to know which line you guys think would be best. I know most answers would be personal but I don't mind. I'm leaning on getting Royal Wulff Bermuda but am still unsure. If there was a line I didn't mention feel free to advertise.

Thank You,

Jaeforceone
385952_2452032575643_1914544095_n.jpg
Native Manta Ray 14 Sand

Replies

• IdlewildeIdlewilde Posts: 1,357 Officer
    Why do you think/say the SA Sharkskin WF8F line is not for you? :shrug
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,422 Captain
    Just started fly fishing (4 months) and went out and got a TFO BVK 8wt with a Nautilus FWC 7/8. I initially went out and got SA Sharkskin Saltwater WF8F line. I've decided this is not the line for me so I want to get a new line but do not know where to start from. I generally fish for redfish, seatrout, and black drum.

Some initial questions:

1. I'm pretty confused about the differences in lines regarding the temperature. I fish from Steinhatchee to Tampa so is a "tropical" line really necessary?

2. The major differences in an "all around" saltwater fly line versus something specialized such as redfish, permit, or bonefish.

3. Shooting lines, shooting heads and double tapers?

4. Using a WF7F or WF9F line for better distance?

Brand related questions:

RIO:Would Redfish WF8F line be more applicable for me rather than the "all around" Saltwater. Any thoughts on the clouser line?

SA(3M): Mastery Series Redfish? Mastery Series Saltwater?

Royal Wulff: Saltwater Triangle Taper? Bermuda Triangle Taper(is this considered a tropical line)?

Airflo: Heard the ridge line is good and has a 5 year guarantee but seems like its pretty hard to get ahold of. Any thoughts?

Cortland: Any good? Also hard to get ahold of.

I would like to know which line you guys think would be best. I know most answers would be personal but I don't mind. I'm leaning on getting Royal Wulff Bermuda but am still unsure. If there was a line I didn't mention feel free to advertise.

Thank You,

Jaeforceone

1- No, but it will make life easier for about 10 months out of the year.
    2- The taper.
    3- Nothing you should concern yourself with.
    4- If the manufacturer lists the rod as an 8wt, it will typically perform better with an 8wt line. There are exceptions. I know of one particular manufacturer that sells an 8wt line that is actually an 11wt by aftma standards.

As for opinions on different lines, tapers, coatings, cores, from each and every manufacturer, I won't touch that one. If people ask me what I use than I tell them, but I never suggest one line over another. You might hate a line for the same reason that I like it. Everyone has different taste, and the best way for you to find a line that suits you is to try a few different lines from several manufacturers. No one here has any business telling you which line is right for you.
  • jaeforceonejaeforceone Posts: 93 Deckhand
    Well DirtyCaster' what line do you use :grin
    385952_2452032575643_1914544095_n.jpg
    Native Manta Ray 14 Sand
  • ckfrankckfrank Posts: 62 Greenhorn
    IMHO, you will have to spend $ to try various lines. Everyone has an opinion, including me. When I started I bought (over time) Orvis wonderline, Rio, Wulff, Bruce Chard, Airflow, etc. What most people love, and is a great line (Rio) for some reason just doesn't suit me. I can tell you what I have found the best for me, but it may not be for you. If you stick to well known names, you will not encounter a bad line, and will eventually find what suits your style. Also, I think you will later get a sinking line for seatrout and spanish, etc. That is when you know you are hooked, different lines for different species. Welcome to this world of fishing.
    Well DirtyChaser' what line do you use :grin

I use airflo, SA, monic, and teeny exclusively. :p
  • tarpon9wttarpon9wt Posts: 110 Deckhand
    My flylines in S. FL are generally SA, some Orvis. I have those for tropical conditions and I've never up'd to a higher weight. Good luck with what you choose.
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,682 Captain
    ODC listed Airflo first which could mean it's first on most of his rods as it is now on most of mine. I tried as many as I could afford until I tried the Airflo Ridge both floating and intemediate which now is now my favorite at least with tthe 8-11wt lines.
    saltybum wrote: »
    ODC listed Airflo first which could mean it's first on most of his rods as it is now on most of mine. I tried as many as I could afford until I tried the Airflo Ridge both floating and intemediate which now is now my favorite at least with tthe 8-11wt lines.

All my floaters are airflo, except for an SA pike and musky taper that's been collecting dust for 2 years.
  • FlyflingerFlyflinger Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    I have the exact same rod and reel you bought. For some time, I have gotten good results from the S/A Mastery GPX, rather than species-specific lines - and the GPX is not even saltwater-specific! (A decade ago, when I took a class with Jon Cave, he said that the GPX was [then] the best line for saltwater use, that saltwater-specific lines were designed for shorter casts.) But recently, because of reports on this bulletin board, I have tried the Airflo Ridge Bonefish line on the BVK/FWX outfit, and it works great! It works very, very well for me - don't know how it might work for you, but I highly recommend it.
  • ghostghost Posts: 40 Deckhand
    I just started using the Airflo Ridge Tropic on my 7wt bamboo and like it a lot. Better than the Sharkskin I had been using.
    I read Florida Fly Fishing :cool:
    The airflo ridge bone/tarpon stands alone as the one line that has a flawless record for customer satisfaction. It has no stretch, no memory, and we've never had one come back cracked or delaminated. Airflo has a clear floating ridge, and a clear tip ridge coming out very soon.

As for the sharkskin, we've gotten far more positive feedback on the new textured lines from SA than we ever did with the sharkskin.
  • acesoveracesover Posts: 552 Officer
    I tried the Ridge line on a trip with ODC, that was on his XI3 7wt, now I have switched to the Ridge lines for my saltwater and have one on my 6wt Scott I use for freshwater. The reason I switched was due to the lack of tangles I would get when using a stripping basket. Not to mention how well it casts on all my rods in both fresh and salt. One thing I will say is that the clear 6wt Ridge I bought doesn't perform as well as the bonefish lines. But it is the freshwater version that looks like it is going away as I see that they are on clearance.
    FYIWFG
    acesover wrote: »
    One thing I will say is that the clear 6wt Ridge I bought doesn't perform as well as the bonefish lines. But it is the freshwater version that looks like it is going away as I see that they are on clearance.

Don't forget to mention that you're the nerd that thought using a cold water trout line down here might be a good idea. :rotflmao

- And don't you roll your eyes at me young man!
  • acesoveracesover Posts: 552 Officer
    I'll be using it this winter for speck fishing, besides you don't flyfeesh......LOL
    FYIWFG
  • FlyflingerFlyflinger Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    I must supplement my above entry praising the Airflo Ridge Bonefish with my recent experience with another new (to me) line. I just got an S/A Mastery *Textured* GPX for my 6-wt in anticipation of a trout-fishing trip out west. Wow! I like it a lot on my 6-wt. The textured line makes each cast easier; I can get good results with a lot less effort, less "punch" to the casting effort. The line does make a slight noise going through the guides, but it's not bothersome. I really look forward to using it fishing the rivers out there.

Has anyone tried an S/A textured line for saltwater applications?