Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

7/23 SLI Offshore Fishing Report

I cleared SLI around 5:15 solo this morning in hopes of finding quick bait, so I headed NE to my first spot. I started to mark baits, but only picked up thorn bellies. I checked one other spot, but nobody was home, so I headed to BS. A few boats started to show up, but all I could find was a few blue runners and small bait. I decided to head to Shrimpers and picked up baits with Vindog. I scooped up a couple dozen cigar minnows and greenies after some work and decide to head out.

dd80e634.jpg

The conditions were pretty sloppy and definitely not what NOAA and Buoyweather forecasted. Along with that the theme of the day was weeds EVERYWHERE!!! Tom (MTPockets) gave me a call and let me know they were clearing the inlet and gave me a report on weeds from yesterday. I let them know where I found bait and I headed out for my first drift.

dd995a33.jpg

The weeds started in 55-60 ft so I decided one quick drift wouldn't hurt. I set two lines out and before I could get the third BAM sailfish on!!!! I cleared the one line, while keeping pressure on the sail, and a short 20 min fight later he was boated and released.

47f8f394.jpg

68d7de37.jpg

I gave Tom a quick call and left a message letting him know where I scored the sail. I reset for another drift with no results and decided to push out to 100. A call came over the radio from Mel letting me know she landed a sail in the same depth as I did. *I'm glad I could help out!!!! Congrats!!!

I decided to pick up and move towards the AJ spot in hopes of a snapper bite. On the way, I spotted huge patches of weeds and put out a couple lines. I picked up one small dolphin, which cooked up great on the grill tonight, but unfortunately he was alone. I couldn't dial in on the snapper, so I called it a day.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• StuStu Posts: 165 Deckhand
    Good work solo. Wedding to attend yesterday, so I didn't get out. Probably see you out there next weekend. Didn't I see you often on Fridays ?
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=259&dateline=1339846506IMG_3256copy3.jpg?t=1307698210
    EdgeWater 185CC / ETEC 150
  • M T PocketsM T Pockets Posts: 551 Officer
    Good Job on the solo run and thanks for the tips:thumbsup working as a team helps everyone. I sent you a PM yesterday if I knew you were solo you could have went out with us.
    I'll call you later in the weeek buddy.
    Take care:USA
  • ShoelessShoeless Posts: 2,110 Captain
    No worries Tom:thumbsup, I was loading up my new tackle bag and didn't check the forum. Plus my buddy backed out late Friday night.

I will definitly take you up on a trip some time.

Glad I could help you guys out, teamwork always pays off!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,439 Admiral
    Hey Sean,

Great job on the sail and phin buddy!

4 of us are supposed to head to the keys tonight for a couple of day fishing but I looked this morning and instead of 2-4, it is now calling for 3-5 with winds 10-15 knots. Not sounding really great but we will see.

We might have to switch gears and stay on the reef and go for snapper, grouper, etc.

I'll talk with the crew.

Cheers buddy

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • RockNReelerRockNReeler Posts: 1,067 Officer
    nice pics from your sail. Impressive, since you were solo.
  • VenturesomeVenturesome Posts: 1,743 Officer
    very nice solo. beautiful sailfish !
    2392.jpg
  • LET'S GOLET'S GO Posts: 2,041 Captain
    Sean good work SOLO we should get together some time looks like we have simiular methods. I always like new info.
    GOOD LUCK TO ALL FROM TEAM LET'S GO,
    BONES AND BOOMER. :dog :dog LET'S MAKE EVERY TRIP COUNT

baf44a4e-6651-4a38-8a03-7b1c3b6bd22b_zpse5ca0565.jpg L.G. LIFE IS GOOD ON THE "LET'S GO!"
  • vettepickingvettepicking Posts: 85 Deckhand
    great solo fish pics!
  • Reel CsReel Cs Posts: 255 Officer
    Sweet. Quite a fire drill and accomplishment doing it solo. Congrats
    TIGHT LINES FROM DAN
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FishNfoolFishNfool Posts: 142 Deckhand
    Awesome pic of the sunrise, the sailfish isn't bad either.
  • VindawgVindawg Posts: 801 Officer
    Good to see you out there and nice job on the sail.
  • ShoelessShoeless Posts: 2,110 Captain
    Stu
    I've made a few trips out on Friday's, but I seem to save all my vacation time to head to Wisconsin for either Sturgeon spearing or the holidays. It is nice to have family up in such a beautiful state for hunting, ice fishing, or whatever other outdoor adventure they come up with. Plus my aunt and uncle run the family butcher business and I have to stock up on all my treats!!!

Plane Fish N
    Be careful out there, I'm looking forward to your reports.

Let's Go
    I learned everything I know from Jeff (AF) and this forum. I hope he gets well soon. I know back injuries first hand from my time in Iraq and they are not easy to deal with.

Let me know when you want to hook up. I'm always willing to share my knowledge and hope to learn more every time I go out.

Vindawg
    Good seeing you out there bud, how did you guys make out?

Thanks everyone, tight lines, and see you out there next weekend.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]