First fishing bimini

Bull334Bull334 Posts: 73 Greenhorn
Ccrossing over this week and staying at big game club, since it's my first time over I would appreciate any thoughts on where to fish. I read to run south of Bimini for tuna and find the birds, but any other ideas? May want to snorkel andetc....thanks

Replies

• IdlewildeIdlewilde Posts: 1,357 Officer
    . . . . . . . . and keep running north and looking until you pass the old abandoned Issac lighthouse. And if you still don't see birds, keep running north and maybe a little east, once past the lighthouse.
  • Bull334Bull334 Posts: 73 Greenhorn
    Thanks a lot! Will do our best and just want to cross and get back safely. Would be nice to catch some tuna and etc.
  • 2fastlx2fastlx Posts: 407 Deckhand
    It makes for a long day, but run over to gingerbreads and do some diving and bottom fishing. Around 4pm, run about 15 miles towards freeport and then circle around to the west while staying 15-20 miles north of Great Issac light., then head back down towards bimini. Its alot of running and alot of fuel but you give yourself a good shot at yellowfins this way. Blackfins are a given so just run from flock to flock until you see signs of yellowfins. If you can find a frigate or two mixed in with the terns spend some extra time there. Bimini is an awesome place, but the best fishing is often a fair ride away from it. Good luck and be careful, regardless of how the fishing is you'll definitely want to go back for more.
  • IdlewildeIdlewilde Posts: 1,357 Officer
    And as 2fastx said, early morning and late afternoon are the best times to find yft.
  • GamekillaGamekilla Posts: 461 Officer
    What is the best time of year for the YFT?
  • doctodddoctodd Posts: 84 Deckhand
    March til July cuz of the bird patterns. The tuna are said to be always there....but fewer birds to show us and difficult weather to be out there now.

The nice thing about Bimini is the fishing can be great so close to land cuz of the steep dropoff just a mile offshore. I wouldnt bother running all the way to the Isaacs in this windy weather unless you have a massive boat that is comfortable in anything. Wahoo are around close.

edit...just noticed this is an old post
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,732 Captain
    doctodd wrote: »
    The nice thing about Bimini is the fishing can be great so close to land cuz of the steep dropoff just a mile offshore. I wouldnt bother running all the way to the Isaacs in this windy weather unless you have a massive boat that is comfortable in anything.

Very true - I've run to Tuna Alley, Chub, well past Orange Cay all from Bimini and all as "Day Trips". I have also caught, within sight of Bimini, Yellowfin, Blue Marlin, White Marlin, Sailfish, Dolphin, and Wahoo. So, while there are some better spots to focus on a particular species, there's nothing wrong with hanging close to the island either.
    Thanks guys. I am planning my first trip in June-July and want to make the best of it. Ive been reading all the posts that have to do with Bimini. I only have a 24ft Pathfinder so I will be limited in where to fish, my goal is to catch at least one YFT with some size to it... Again thanks for the info.
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,141 AG
    Gamekilla wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I am planning my first trip in June-July ........ I only have a 24ft Pathfinder so I will be limited in where to fish........

In June/July, with your boat, you'll most likely only be "limited" by some rain showers and the occasional afternoon thunderstorm. The cold fronts that cause the steady 15-20-25+ knot winds are usually gone and no longer a factor by around early May. If you want windy days, plan to go in March/April! :banghead
    I have also caught, within sight of Bimini, Yellowfin, Blue Marlin, White Marlin, Sailfish, Dolphin, and Wahoo. So, while there are some better spots to focus on a particular species, there's nothing wrong with hanging close to the island either.

Case in point is this 80 pound class White Marlin that was caught aboard Intrepid377's boat last June. From here, we could easily see the Concrete Ship, Gun Cay Lighthouse, etc. My only experience with a White on my own boat was straight out from Bimini Sands about 5 minutes after the lines were in the water..... You don't have to go far! In your Pathfinder, you will have many options that will keep you busy!

061.jpg
    Gary M wrote: »
    Case in point is this 80 pound class White Marlin that was caught aboard Intrepid377's boat last June. From here, we could easily see the Concrete Ship, Gun Cay Lighthouse, etc. My only experience with a White on my own boat was straight out from Bimini Sands about 5 minutes after the lines were in the water..... You don't have to go far! In your Pathfinder, you will have many options that will keep you busy!

061.jpg

That is SO SWEET!! I am so excited to make this happen...
  • BCSAILSBCSAILS Posts: 436 Deckhand
    Thanks guys. I am planning my first trip in June-July and want to make the best of it. Ive been reading all the posts that have to do with Bimini. I only have a 24ft Pathfinder so I will be limited in where to fish, my goal is to catch at least one YFT with some size to it... Again thanks for the info.

Yellowfin will be very tough in a 24 Path, but not totally impossible, I have everything else you need for the "Ultimate" Bimini trip your looking for....shoot me a PM and I'll fill you in....Eric.
    That is SO SWEET!! I am so excited to make this happen...

The Capt and Crew also caught these two the same day and in the same general (close-in) area). That's our very own Intrepid 377 holding up the baby.....

071.jpg
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,732 Captain
    To make Gary's point, if you look at the horizon on the left you can see what I believe was Cat Cay (although it could have been Gun) don't remember for sure . Point is, we weren't more than a few miles off the Bank.

Oh, and in my defense, the "baby" was caught on 12lb spin.

untitled-0449.jpg
    Oh, and in my defense, the "baby" was caught on 12lb spin.

That was typed with tongue-firmly-in-cheek!

19 lbs & 35 lbs if I recall.....
  • isla21isla21 Posts: 2,115 Officer
    I miss the old forum where you could almost navigate around the Bahamas with the pictures that Gary M had on here. Thanks for putting them up again. Always fun to see again. :beer
    BCSAILS wrote: »
    Yellowfin will be very tough in a 24 Path, but not totally impossible, I have everything else you need for the "Ultimate" Bimini trip your looking for....shoot me a PM and I'll fill you in....Eric.

You can be **** sure I'm going to take you up on that!