Miamimuttonman Report 9/29/12 Daytime Cubera/accident

This trip was a father and daughter, That i had gone out with once before. We started our trip outside of Elliot Key, where we anchored to find a nice north current. The girl started catching yellowtails and the father was fishing on the bottom. He was getting some hits and lost a couple of fish stuck on the bottom and he also brought up an under size black which was quickly released, we didn’t have fresh bait as the bait shop had sold him frozen thawed out ballyhoo, so I cut the head off a fresh blue runner and he sent it down and was quickly struck by a nice mangrove that on the way up got eaten by a shark that left him with a head with little meat that probably weighed 3 lbs., so that was a nice size fish. The girl kept happy catching yellowtails pretty constant and also caught a big trigger and then she had to take a break. We also caught a nice mack, before the current started dropping to near none, when the bite shut down and the ballyhoo came real close, at which time I casted my net and caught close to 5 dozen, I also had a couple of speedo previously frozen to make a decent bait situation, from here we headed to another spot in 145 feet miles away and anchored within 12 feet of my intended spot for bottom fishing , by this time the girl had her fun and wanted me to fish bottom with her dad, the current here was slow but picking up to a good flow north. I sent his rod down with a live ballyhoo and gave him the rod and told him to put a fighting belt on. AT this spot my friend had lost a rod that was pulled right out of his hand while waiting for a bite with the bail closed. I told my customer this was the spot for the bottom fish, he gets a hit starts fighting a fish then I put my rod on the holder and forgot to put the clicker on and had it locked and as I helped him bring up his 25inch black, my rod got hit and the rod bent like if was going to brake and the fish took the bait before I could grad the rod. Next I put down half a speedo and get slammed and let him eat good as my bait was so big, but the fish dropped it as I tried to get a hook up. I had put the other half of the speedo on my customers hook and when I look at him he is trying to stop, this monster fish that went straight down , I quickly assisted him and took the drag lever beyond the strike stop and the fish kept going to cut the leader on the bottom. We set up again and both go down with a half speedo each he hooks up and is asking for help as he was trying to put his rod but in the fighting belt, I left my rod on the clicker this time and helped him to bring up this fish that took a few big runs down with lots of power. A nice cubera snapper, when I bent over put my hand in the gills brought it in and due to very limited space I hesitated a second, to get them to move so I could put the fish down as it shook off my hand landing on the tip of my foot sticking one dorsal spine thru my boot into the left side of my nail, thru my bone and I could see the point sticking out the bottom side, as it was wedged like a pin. After taking off my boot, my rod that was on the clicker gets hit and I gave it to my customer as I waited for the leader to come up, I put another keeper grouper in the boat. We picked up and I called a customer of mine that is a surgeon and asked him if he could help me, as he did once before, and he said meet him at Kendall Regional, after removing my nail and an hour of struggle he was able to pull it out and that was just before plan B which was to drill it out in the operating room. I was lucky it didn’t land in the middle of my foot where it would have been mayor surgery. So now I’ll be out of the water for a short time. Till then Tight Lines to all.here are some picsPhoto1559.jpgPhoto1558.jpgIMG_0065.jpgIMG_0624.jpgIMG_8644.jpgUntitled-14.jpgUntitled-15.jpgAnother friend yesterday did good on the yellow eyesIMG_3672.jpg

Replies

• farincofarinco Posts: 223 Officer
    Wow!~!!!!! you are a trooper bro, way to finish off the day even though you got a nail hammered into your foot :hairraiser

That's one nice haul and I'm sure you'll be back on your feet and fishing again soon enough! Feel good, thanks for the report, and tight lines'
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,665 Captain
    hope you get better soon. could have been worse. that's why i dont let people fish on my boat with flip flops.

• chiliandochiliando Posts: 609 Officer
    Wow that hurts just looking at it! Get well..........
  • mukymanfrankmukymanfrank Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    Benny your'e a wildman!! I hope you heal soon because we look forward to reading your posts. Tight lines my friend.
  • copout@castaways[email protected] Posts: 5,779 Admiral
    **** Benny! the spine sitting next to your foot is huge! my dad used to say just rub some dirt on it & it'll heal up just fine, don't try that!
    alacrity wrote: »
    hope you get better soon. could have been worse. that's why i dont let people fish on my boat with flip flops.

you don't? :wink
  • NVMataNVMata Posts: 157 Deckhand
    The usual can only expect the best from you. Feel better buddy
  • DAHOGKILLADAHOGKILLA Posts: 291 Deckhand
    Nice sock Benny! haha....impressive catch as always, hope you heal soon to get out again and see your reports, just tell your wife the saltwater is good to help your toe heal faster :rotflmao
    BIG BOY FISHING TEAM
    MIAMI, FL
  • testerman28testerman28 Posts: 1,329 Officer
    ouch..! ..they (oldtimers..) say if you hurt your toe ...think of an Ibis ( Florida bird..) :) .. I have to admit it has at least made me smile a couple time.. don't stub your toe, roll over on it while sleeping.., or walk on it.. till your healed up.. :) Have a good day .. great report that is some good dinners..
  • PottymouthPottymouth Posts: 1,547 Officer
    Great work. I'm dying to catch a cubera off my kayak!
    sfkglogo.pngadrenalinelogo.pngjimyjigslogo.jpgaccuratelogo.png
  • HialeahAnglerHialeahAngler Posts: 9,612 Admiral
    gangrene will be setting in soon.
    friedpeacocks.jpg
  • wellcraftwellcraft Posts: 1,333 Officer
    ouch!

nice fish though
    paypallogo.png
    Vertical jigs, Trolling lures, and more! Click the logo!

All V-Series High Speed Wahoo Lures
    http://victorylures.com/trolling-lures/v-series.html

Face Book Page for Victory Lures
    http://www.facebook.com/VictoryLures

Visit My Blog
    www.averticalthought.com
  • Offshore9393Offshore9393 Posts: 469 Officer
    that looks like it hurt. Do you have any idea why the cubera is all scarred up?
  • BobbyhernandezBobbyhernandez Posts: 131 Officer
    Wow! What a buzz crusher. Hope you feel better.
  • KillBoxKillBox Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    Great report Benny. Hope you feel better to go out soon.
    42yellowfin1_zpsbfb24ad6.jpg
    2011 42' Yellowfin Triple 350 Yami's
  • Lone DrifterLone Drifter Posts: 639 Officer
    **** ! :willynilly

Looks seriously painful. Sorry to hear about your accident and I hope you heel up quickly buddy !

This forum is not the same without your informative and entertaining reports. :fishing
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • miami muttonmiami mutton Posts: 1,127 Officer
    Thank you all for the nice replies.I think my body is immune to fish slime, from getting so many pinches while taking fish off the hook for my customers and friends,its like getting a vaccine, i'm in no pain or swelling and haven't taken pain killers since yesterday afternoon, looks like i'll be up and out again soon.For those who go on a boat with flip flops or bare footed, be safe and put shoes on, if you drop a fish you could be seriously hurt.This spine went thru my boot and bone like a 30lb spear at close range.I know people that have lost a finger from a simple spine and another that the spine worked its way out and he didn't even know it was there untill days later , he saw it coming out. not all bodies react the same. whats really scary is i felt no pain at first just a sharp quick pinch, the girl was the one who noticed the spine sticking out under my toe,if not i would of thought it was just a pinch.The first numming needle hurt much more than the spine. Tight lines.
  • FlagtailsFlagtails Posts: 577 Officer
    Benny,

Just make sure you take the antibiotics, no sense in taking any chances. Hope you get back out there soon.

Juan
  • sk018sk018 Posts: 2,958 Captain
    **** man that sucks...I feel like im on borrowed time as Im always barefoot w no shirt etc....Lots of dangers especially with rough seas rocking all over the place
  • snookyjsnookyj Posts: 1,687 Officer
    Nice haul!!!
  • bitshortbitshort Posts: 243 Deckhand
    Get well soon Benny by the way Nice Catch
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,665 Captain
    **** Benny! the spine sitting next to your foot is huge! my dad used to say just rub some dirt on it & it'll heal up just fine, don't try that!

you don't? :wink

you got a pass, but no more . . .

• PostalitaPostalita Posts: 100 Officer
    steel-toe shoes from now on...
    alacrity wrote: »
  • PostalitaPostalita Posts: 100 Officer
    Get well soon Benny!
  • WetFeetWetFeet Posts: 57 Deckhand
    Benny you are always looking to get recognized somehow, why would you take pictures of your foot at the hospital and post them here, is this an advertisment for Miamuttonman the tough rough guy that kept fishing with a fish spine in his foot.
    Comon man it happened and deal with it, why all the BS that you have created with this accident, I don't see anyone else post pictures whenever they have an accident or get a hook in their finger.
    I guess next we should take up a collection for you, so you can pay the bills while you are unemployed.
    By the way you have fungus nails..
  • bite my baitbite my bait Posts: 459 Deckhand
    Ouch!!!your a trooper
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,282 Officer
    WetFeet wrote: »
    I don't see anyone else post pictures whenever they have an accident or get a hook in their finger.

Many people over the years have posted injuries suffered while fishing. You either can't read or are blind.
    Giimoozaabi
  • HialeahAnglerHialeahAngler Posts: 9,612 Admiral
    and if you're taking antibiotics make sure you stay out of the sun. it says it on the bottle.
    friedpeacocks.jpg
  • farincofarinco Posts: 223 Officer
    WetFeet wrote: »
    Benny you are always looking to get recognized somehow, why would you take pictures of your foot at the hospital and post them here, is this an advertisment for Miamuttonman the tough rough guy that kept fishing with a fish spine in his foot.
    Comon man it happened and deal with it, why all the BS that you have created with this accident, I don't see anyone else post pictures whenever they have an accident or get a hook in their finger.
    I guess next we should take up a collection for you, so you can pay the bills while you are unemployed.
    By the way you have fungus nails..

What a tool you are. That's for sure.
  • Thread-MinatorThread-Minator Posts: 223 Officer
    farinco wrote: »
    What a tool you are. That's for sure.

ape_with_monkey_wrench_mb.gif :grin
    Now Wetfleet can get some of the recognition he deserves also. One of his photo's from his fishing report.

Great report and photo's Benny hope you get well soon !
    itsallreallyhappeningp1.gif
  • DirtySouthDirtySouth Posts: 217 Deckhand
    Looks painful, get well soon.