Skip to main content
Home Off Topic

Whole house water filter systems

NickhoogNickhoog Posts: 1,581 Captain
Been awhile since I've been on here, I know you've missed me...

I was curious what type/brand of water filter system is best recommended, be it city water supply or well. Has anybody used/using an Aquasana brand and has anybody heard of a Cartis media???

Replies

• CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG
    If you are on Jupiter water test it first at a quality place. I went with the Quad something. The company got sued for lying. THey had test kids that falsified stuff. Out here on the well we have the paper filter, carbon filter and softener. Lots of maintenance then we ahve a GE R/O system on a drinking water tap, mainly for the kids.
    THe water was always a little bit dark in town but water quality tests show it perfect otherwise.

Oh and welcome back.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
  • Caribbean SoulCaribbean Soul Posts: 232 Deckhand
    why do you need filterd water for the toilets?
  • Justins DadJustins Dad Posts: 3,247 Officer
    I have well water with high iron and sulfur. I had a kinetco system and after many years of continuing to have high sulfur water, I took it out and put in a chlorinator. The chlorine removes sulfur and rust. The water is drinkable, but just barely. It has a high mineral content which makes it taste weird. My solution was also a GE under-counter RO system. I'm actually on my second system. The filter are $22/each and they last only a couple month. There are two filters plus an RO membrane. I use ONLy the pre-filter and RO membrane (no post filter). The water out of the RO system is every bit as good as bottled water.
  • lilwoodylilwoody Posts: 1,712 Captain
    I've been a water treatment op for 30 years and depending on what your source water is and what you want removed is were the question can be answered better. If it were me I'd go with a whole house .5 micron filter system, if chlorine or sulfur is a issue after the micro filters a activated carbon filter (change the filters regularly) then a RO system for the whole house or at least where you are going to be drinking the water or using in a ice maker. I'd stay away from ion exchange (salt systems) like the plague. Do your research have your water tested by a reputable lab, NOT a salesman! Your county or city might do it for free if your on a well. If you are on a municipal system the tests are available and come in your bill once a year.
    I have well water with high iron and sulfur. I had a kinetco system and after many years of continuing to have high sulfur water, I took it out and put in a chlorinator. The chlorine removes sulfur and rust. The water is drinkable, but just barely. It has a high mineral content which makes it taste weird. My solution was also a GE under-counter RO system. I'm actually on my second system. The filter are $22/each and they last only a couple month. There are two filters plus an RO membrane. I use ONLy the pre-filter and RO membrane (no post filter). The water out of the RO system is every bit as good as bottled water.
    "Those who will trade freedom for security will have neither".
    I was told the salt system should remove all minerals but it doesn't. I can't wash the vehicles with it. It that false? My one on the house on city water didn't either. mr Clean has a carwash setup with a filter but I can't find them at stores anymore. How did they remove minerals with a filter? One time use ion?
    Maybe I need new resin in the softener.
    I switched from chlorine injection to inline tablet. Much more reliable. Just shake it up every now and then.
    Sent from my Venue Pro using Board Express
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,412 AG
    Lilwoody got this one 100 recent right.

Tater toss your ion exchange system.

Also a bunch of the water where you are is terrible.

There is a legit lab on Indiantown road if you want the truth.
    What do I use as a softener? When that salt system is down the water is so hard you can't shower and the glasses are all hazy. Have to wash them in acid.
    Can I ask a "dumb" question. What are the benefits of filtering house water, other than drinking water. In the 10 years I've lived in my house, I notice no significant problems with not having filtered water. I use a chamois on my car to cure water spots but other than that, I just don't see any real benefits for filtering shower, washing, laundry, etc water. Thanks...
    Because our untreated water is horrible from the well. Hydrogen sulfide smells like Polar and corrodes everything in the house. On city water they do to remove chlorine and flouride.
    Those same minerals from your car wash are in your clothes and hair and skin.
    I understand about the sulfur, but a contact tank or chlorinator take care of this. What's the problem with the minerals on the clothes and skin?
    CaptTater wrote: »
    Because our untreated water is horrible from the well. Hydrogen sulfide smells like Polar and corrodes everything in the house. On city water they do to remove chlorine and flouride.
    Those same minerals from your car wash are in your clothes and hair and skin.
    Makes soap not clean and covers everything in deposits.
  • coldaircoldair Posts: 11,490 AG
    I use a whole house RO system with a silver carbon prefilter for sulfur and calcite and carbon after the storage tanks
    169304.GIF
    how long does the RO take to get clean water through? Or is it ginourmous?
  • coldaircoldair Posts: 11,490 AG
    mine makes 2500 gallons a day if i need it. I have 2 1500 gallon tanks, because one of my customers paid for them and then after his wells were bored he did not want them. but I never run out of ro water and its been working great for 10 years
    169304.GIF
  • got ants?got ants? Posts: 9,139 Admiral
    I have city water, and a 2 stage filter under the sink to a bar tap on the sink, and to the ice maker via a tee. No need to filter the water from the regular faucet, or as noted, for the shower or toilet.

At the orchid house, we have a 100 gallon r/o system. We also have a fertilizer injection system inline after the r/o. It has an anti back flow device built into it.

If I had well water at the house, I would have the salt water softner, and an r/o under the sink. No need (again) to get fussy with toilet water...
  • FlashFlash Posts: 12,535 AG
    lilwoody wrote: »
    I've been a water treatment op for 30 years and depending on what your source water is and what you want removed is were the question can be answered better. If it were me I'd go with a whole house .5 micron filter system, if chlorine or sulfur is a issue after the micro filters a activated carbon filter (change the filters regularly) then a RO system for the whole house or at least where you are going to be drinking the water or using in a ice maker. I'd stay away from ion exchange (salt systems) like the plague. Do your research have your water tested by a reputable lab, NOT a salesman! Your county or city might do it for free if your on a well. If you are on a municipal system the tests are available and come in your bill once a year.

Our waters only issue seems to be Iron and hard water. Presently just using a salt softener from Sears. Got the extended warranty due to occasional issues with the metering system. Just saved almost $300 having the brain replaced the other day. Sears does not appear to be doing so well and wonder if I should be looking for another system down the road also?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • SpinfisherSpinfisher Posts: 756 Officer
    I have been in my new-to-me house for almost a year and have beed researching water treatment systems from Lowe's and Sears. I'm on city water would like to remove the hardness of the water. The water hardness is real bad. The bathroom glass needs to be cleaned every other day and if you spray the car / boat and not wipe them down, you get hard water stains that need to be polished off.

The City of Orlando report on water quality is very good, but the hardness in the water is unreal!

What off-the-rack filter brand should I buy?
  • NickhoogNickhoog Posts: 1,581 Captain
    So far very informative. The reason I ask is 1) curious to see what you guys were using and 2) wanted to see if you were happy with your current system.

I'm getting involved with another gentleman in a water purification system that’s not really new, per say, but new to the North American residential and commercial market. My partner came across the Cartis media when he was looking onto atmospheric water generators. It seems the Aquasana brand is one of the biggest sellers out there other than the local Culligan and Kinetco types.

The media is produce via cold fusion with a carbon and silver infusion done at a molecular level. We have installed numerous systems (more than 40 easy) as beta or test systems. Most have been installed on "public" supplied water and the results have been remarkable!!! At the urging of myself, we are trying it on well supplied water. So far we have installed about 5 systems with differing results. We have been replacing the "typical" system entirely, with the owner "putting to the side" or tossing the old system. All have improved dramatically, but levels of different elements seem to rise and fall as the water table changes. Biggest issue has been manganese (see fertilizer content label). These issues have been on wells that are less than 70' deep (at least here in S. FL, below the Lake), with 70' or more we can keep in check. As with any system regular maintenance is required on the wells. Public supplied water still requires maintenance but at a less frequent basis.

R/O water seems to be the best as it produces the purest of water but, it has its draw backs. You lose the "good minerals" from the water, it's highly waste full (a 1:3 ratio minimum of usable to waste water), you need a storage facility (tank/s) for the produced water (Coldair must of had Exxon install his, seriously are the tanks installed under ground??? Those are HUGE!!! and that’s what she said) and the R/O water is very harmful to ore related piping; i.e. copper, iron and galvanized. That's why the "under counter" units all utilize vinyl/plastic piping.

This is sounding like a sales pitch, it truly isn't intended to be that but your questions and comments are extremely respected.

I’d like to go on, but I would like to hear more questions and remarks from what I’ve listed.
    So you read what I have. Paper filter then softener, then chlorine then carbon filter. Would that be replaceable and by how much? I bough 3 little inline silver filters that were to be used on boats to clean incoming water. I use one on my big giant ice maker.
    NIckhoog, yea, it reads like a sales pitch.

Blending water "fixes" the mineral "issue" you describe about RO and negates the aggressiveness of post-RO water on metalic pipes - or more correctly the soldered joints of copper pipes. BOttomline - drinking water should be managed to be slightly -depositing - thus the blended water.

Micro and nano filtration are other options to RO. Lilwoody discusses a micro filtration unit - better and less costly to run than RO.

To correctly discuss systems the unit cost of finished water needs to be discussed.

It is my understanding your system has a high unit cost due to media. I agree that your system will be a difficult match for a changing GW source.

Electricity for pushing water through alterations systems is a huge cost sometimes making RO and micro filtration out of sight.

I disagree the 2500 gallon storage Coldie cites is huge. That is a cubic volume about 7 feet on a side. Any Tractor Supply can source a 2500 "tupperware can" for a few hundred dollars. considering a family of four, 2500 gal. is about four days supply.

Interestingly, none of you guy who are making drinking water and providing any disinfection of your finished water.

Also, Coldie for the life of me I don't understand the treatment after storage. Those units should be before storage. The entire point is to store finished water. The only reason to treat after storage is to correct for taste and odor.
    I'm disinfecting it by dumping chlorine into it that the carbon filter then removed. I don't disinfect it again. When you change the RO filter by the directions you bleach the whole RO system.
  • ChuckcChuckc Posts: 4,397 Captain
    I'm on a well here in Jax that is 126 feet deep. Out of the ground, into a Sears ion exchange softener and then into an aerator and finally into the house. Water tastes and smells good.
    I can see I need to package a small pallet mounted system for you guys. I could be rich.
    Chuckc wrote: »
    I'm on a well here in Jax that is 126 feet deep. Out of the ground, into a Sears ion exchange softener and then into an aerator and finally into the house. Water tastes and smells good.

Thank you aeration !!
    CaptTater wrote: »
    I'm disinfecting it by dumping chlorine into it that the carbon filter then removed. I don't disinfect it again. When you change the RO filter by the directions you bleach the whole RO system.

UV then do away with chlorination and the charcoal. Here is one. The small unit is plenty for a house.

http://www.home-water-purifiers-and-filters.com/whole-house-ultraviolet.php

And yes you have to disinfect the RO track.
    I was steered away from aeration which is common out here because of A, the smell and B, requiring 2more pumps to go bad. My water tastes and smells great but I'd like to strip out the minerals for the car/boat washing.
    UV then do away with chlorination and the charcoal. Here is one. The small unit is plenty for a house.

http://www.home-water-purifiers-and-filters.com/whole-house-ultraviolet.php

And yes you have to disinfect the RO track.
    How is UV going to get rid of the H2S? That's what the chlorine does. When the chlorine is messed up you can't be in the house. I mentioned before why I don't want to go with the aerator.. Those reasons plus limited capacity again.
    Air stripping costs lots of money. Every time you handle the water it costs money.
  • ChuckcChuckc Posts: 4,397 Captain
    I only needed one more pump in my case and the aerator tank, pump and so forth cost about $400. It was money well spent, I also learned that a 1 inch PVC pipe will dump a buttload of water on you in a hurry should you forget to glue one of the joints. It was like that for litterally weeks, maybe months until I bumped it with my elbow while poking around in the wellhouse.
    It's not well pump to tank. Aerator pump. Pump to house? Or does it reuse one of them. THe well guy talked about a few setups non of which sounded apealing with more valves and crap.