Skip to main content
Home Off Topic

why do we want this forum to change?

2»

Replies

• Docked WagesDocked Wages Posts: 3,142 Moderator
    FS will never allow even a private paid section where **** can be posted. They would still set strict limits and people would still push them. Which would mean that the only way to deal with the problem would still be to moderate it.

Dude! What is your fascination with ****? Most of my post comments are focused on inappropriate material and an occasional mention of **** grouped in with other material.

Almost everyone of your complaintsor replies today have been directly related to ****?

I doubt very seriously that if FS had a private or paid section, which we have discussed in detail, would allow any ****. In fact if they did I would simply resign and move on as I would not be associated with any such site. The idea of a restricted or paid area is interesting but the feeling is that only the small minority would visit it and eventually become bored and continue to bring the unacceptable material back into the public venue. Look at the few here that pay to be in the THT area and still spend more time here. The idea is interesting and warrants a discussion, but its not about ****, LOL
    Mark Wilson
    USCG 100t Master, Assist Tow, 200nm Coastal
    Marine Surveyor, SAMS, ABYC, IAMI, FMIU
    Wilson Yacht Survey, Inc. 
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 13,570 AG
    He did quote you on the first reply, his second reply was quoted and responding to Nate and also used complaining, which is what Nate is doing.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
    CaptTater wrote: »
    didn't he quote me?
    Sent from my Venue Pro using Board Express

I quoted you both in separate replies. I only mentioned the comment about "complaining" in Nates reply as that has been his tone today. No offense was meant in either reply.

BTW what is the fee for the private or restricted area in the other site?
    Mark Wilson
  • capt.natecapt.nate Posts: 2,359 Captain
    ......The idea of a restricted or paid area is interesting but the feeling is that only the small minority would visit it and eventually become bored and continue to bring the unacceptable material back into the public venue.......

try it for a year, 6 months, whatever. if it gets no traffic let it expire and close it. if what is deemed acceptable there but not in regular ot leaks back into ot fire a few warning shots then start handing out time outs.
    BTW what is the fee for the private or restricted area in the other site?
    i cant remember what i paid at tht but it was set up with paypal. do a poll here and ask what people would be willing to pay annually.
    http://www.captain-nate.com/
    "If I had my life to live over again, there are some things I’d do differently, but, oh yeah, I’d still be a fisherman. No doubt about that."
    Thomas 'Blue' Fulford
    sig%20pic%20yamaha_zps9bj5fb89.png
  • TripleXTripleX Posts: 1,772 Captain
    How I see it:

I've been a member of this forum for nearly ten years. I've, like the rest of you, seen many members come and go. Back years ago, the same rules applied as they do today, yet, some members feel due to their extended tenure that these rules should not apply to them or they can push the limits with the thought of amnesty.

I know, even with ten years, that this forum owes me nothing and I have no control on how business is conducted. Sure, we can all add our two cents, but at the end of the day, this forum is for pleasure purposes and no explicit rights, either written or oral, have been promised or implied.

I personally know that the only true thing about this forum that I control is whether I log in or not. If and when I come to the point that I'm not happy with this or any other forum for that matter, I will just simply not visit, simple as that.

That being said, I enjoy reading the friendly humor and sharing experiences with fellow forum members, but I also see self-proclaimed adults acting like children and whine when they don't get their way. I've also witnessed some moderation that I feel may have been borderline, personal, rather than for the good of the forum. I know it can be difficult at times to remain emotionless while enforcing the rules of conduct of this forum, but as one who works in the field of enforcement, I leave you with three words that've never failed me: Fair, Firm and Consistent.
  • kodiakzachkodiakzach Posts: 6,077 Admiral
    If I'm not paying for it, or an employee of it, then I reckon I don't have much to say about it.

That being said, the rationale of removing editing capabilities in posts and the given reasoning for it is flawed. Inconveniencing 99.9% of the majority of the forum to supposedly address a perceived flaw is not a solution. Moderation should be the answer, not what was decided.
  • Michael RepperMichael Repper Posts: 4,897 Officer
    Dude! What is your fascination with ****? Most of my post comments are focused on inappropriate material and an occasional mention of **** grouped in with other material.

Almost everyone of your complaintsor replies today have been directly related to ****?

That's my point! This is not about some egregious violation of the rules like **** would be.

You guys have freaked out and messed up a very useful feature to protect us the forum users from WHAT, exactly?

What is it that is so horrendous that we need to have a useful feature messed up like this?
  • RRRRRR Posts: 8,218 Officer
    dang
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dang X 1000 :banghead
    Mark Wilson
  • GT FishGT Fish Posts: 9,448 Officer
    Dude! What is your fascination with ****?

You are a hetro male? I thought everyone was fascinated by it? :)

The problem is losing a VERY useful feature will hinder other members and possibly cause them not to share FISHING reports. I know for fact they get alot of hits by non posters.
    mousey.gif
    61903c544aca27b57fb2aa29e6bc4a3b.gif
    gnat.gifWzz6I.gif
  • flattitudeflattitude Posts: 536 Officer
    CaptTater wrote: »
    Sorry meant I CAN get **** elsewhere. They do have a good girls in bikinis on boats. Lots of sandbar shots.
    Sent from my Venue Pro using Board Express

if we had an edit feature you could have fixed that.
  • capt.natecapt.nate Posts: 2,359 Captain
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQuakv-BeNJB1a14JDa4hHlSDUcSnd7NfxZm8WLI0il5BDeQvZN9K7qN-lu
    http://www.captain-nate.com/
    "If I had my life to live over again, there are some things I’d do differently, but, oh yeah, I’d still be a fisherman. No doubt about that."
    Thomas 'Blue' Fulford
    sig%20pic%20yamaha_zps9bj5fb89.png
  • Accurate TwrsAccurate Twrs Posts: 1,992 Officer
    I see the problem... thin skinned .... upper crust..

Last edited by Docked Wages; Today at 05:46 PM. Reason: unnecessary comments

That's very funny. :grin
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
    That's very funny. :grin

Thank you Gary, remember I am here to amuse you :-)

I guess the reply of "Comments violated FS Policy" would have been more appropriate but I was pressed for time as the dolphins game was on.
    Mark Wilson
  • PolarPolar Posts: 22,492 AG
    whatta game huh? sheese!
  • Thank you Gary, remember I am here to amuse you :-)

I guess the reply of "Comments violated FS Policy" would have been more appropriate but I was pressed for time as the dolphins game was on.

That anything posted here needs to qualify as necessary is pretty amusing.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG
    if we had an edit feature you could have fixed that.

I didn't because it was already quoted by someone else.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
  • CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG
    I see the problem... thin skinned .... upper crust..
    I'm not
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
  • got ants?got ants? Posts: 9,139 Admiral
    Dang X ~ (infinity)
    Really though, if not anything, this is just the norm of what we've come to expect... fixin' something that ain't broken. or tinkering with something without a fore thought.

I already posted a thread on how to actively moderate this forum, without effecting the vast majority of members in a negative way. And yet, not a single mod commented on it. Why? Because it made too much **** sense...
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 13,570 AG
    Link?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
    Keep in mind, the banned forum member explanation page would be locked, and only edited (additional posts) by mods. You can even have it in a separate area, like a sticky over on the rules sub-forum, so its not on top here...
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,466 AG
    This forum's in pretty good shape so far as moderation and mods themselves go.
    It would be nice if some of the old characters were still around. Seems the active population in OT has shrunk down to a dozen or so regulars.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • Accurate TwrsAccurate Twrs Posts: 1,992 Officer
    Simply put... I gave some criticism and a suggestion. Called the little boys hitlers... it seems that didn't settle well with them. No swearing or attacks..
    Just truth... And you all know what they say about truth. Now it seems they are thinking about a section, PW protected..
    Imagine that...!!!!

Guys... change isn't a bad thing... look at it this way... Just another way for the forum to grow... and maintain its good reputation...
    And some of you can get some rest for a change...