Skip to main content
Home Politics

Can Obama have a sucessful second term?

TriathleteTriathlete Posts: 698 Officer
Not likely. Especially given the lack of leadership demonstrated in his first term. [Tri]

Barack Obama will face serious challenges if he's re-elected in November. Of the nineteen presidents who have won a second term, only seven have been judged to have succeeded during that time in office.

Many articles have recently been written about the impending battle between the president and Congress over the extension of the Bush tax cuts, raising the debt limit, the potential of automatic cuts in spending and various tax benefits that expire. The necessity of resolving these issues is what Federal Reserve chairman Ben Bernanke refers to as a “fiscal cliff.” It is possible that these momentous decisions will be given brief extensions so that the next president and Congress will be saddled with making them. As a second-term president Obama would face obstacles rarely experienced by a chief executive returned to office. Compromise has been the source of major legislation since the end of World War II, but Obama would face sizeable numbers of members of the Senate and House who have stated they will not compromise. There are ominous clouds on the horizon for a second term for Obama.

The list of those who prevailed in their second term includes George Washington, James Madison, Andrew Jackson, Theodore Roosevelt, Dwight D. Eisenhower, Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton. Those who had troubled or failed second terms were Thomas Jefferson, James Monroe, Ulysses S. Grant, Grover Cleveland, Woodrow Wilson, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Harry Truman, Lyndon B. Johnson, Richard Nixon and George W. Bush. (Lincoln is not included in this list as his second term was so brief).

The dominant source of failure for second-term presidents has been their inability to successfully work with Congress. Obama demonstrated this inability to work with congress in his first term [Tri] Fully eight second-term president had troubled or failed second terms due directly to clashes between Congress and the White House. Even having a congressional majority of a president's own party is no assurance of relief -- Andrew Jackson was censured by a Congress controlled by his own Democratic Party, a slight he never forgave, and Eisenhower, a Republican, fought legislation drafted by a fellow Republican, John W. Bricker of Ohio, who sought to take away presidential powers.

http://www.thecuttingedgenews.com/index.php?article=74044
109845678380823202_Fl0UIBrN_b.jpg

Replies

• ScminnowScminnow Posts: 4,119 Captain
    Please define " success " if by success you mean destroying capitalism then yes he can be successful
  • Bimini TwistedBimini Twisted Posts: 11,443 AG
    He's got a better shot than Romney having a successful first term.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 12,088 AG

Probably true and hopefully will show the people of this Country that our present two party system is broke. The Dems would block everything they can if Romney wins. And again they will fiddle while we burn.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • Bimini TwistedBimini Twisted Posts: 11,443 AG
    Flash wrote: »
    Probably true and hopefully will show the people of this Country that our present two party system is broke. The Dems would block everything they can if Romney wins. And again they will fiddle while we burn.

You get no argument from me there, I guess it boils down to how one defines the lesser of two evils.
  • PetealanPetealan Posts: 274 Officer
    He's going into his second term with the country in worse financial condition than his first term. I wonder if he wins, will he'll still be blaming Bush in 2016? :Sinking
  • esteroestero Posts: 2,041 Captain
    I think its FDR's fault or maybe Lincoln's????

The current batch of Obama supporters will run away like rats leaving a sinking ship in a few years if Obama wins.

Just because you’re  Offended  Doesn’t mean you right!

• silvergsilverg Posts: 1,456 Officer
    He has nothing because he is nothing. Hard to be a success at running the greatest country in the world when you haven't run anything more than a voter drive in your neighborhood. Well the only thing he has going for him is that he has a successful business man running against him.
  • PetealanPetealan Posts: 274 Officer
    silverg wrote: »
    He has nothing because he is nothing. Hard to be a success at running the greatest country in the world when you haven't run anything more than a voter drive in your neighborhood. Well the only thing he has going for him is that he has a successful business man running against him.

Aint the a fact. It's become bad to become successful, and good to hang out with Rappers. What a country.
  • razorreilly09razorreilly09 Posts: 8,401 Admiral
    I guess it boils down to how one defines the lesser of two evils.

how about as an evil of somewhat lesser proportionate?
  • TriathleteTriathlete Posts: 698 Officer
    You get no argument from me there, I guess it boils down to how one defines the lesser of two evils.

BT - There are plenty of things I like and dislike about both candidates and both platforms, but even if Obama were 100% aligned with my priorities, I would not vote for him because I feel Obama is an ineffective leader.

It doesn't matter how good your ideas are if you can't be successful in getting people on board with them. Blaming the opposing party is a cop-out. There is always an opposing party and their opinion counts, too. If Obama is re-elected, the end of his second term IMO will leave the country looking pretty much like it does now, struggling and divided, not from a lack of good ideas, but from a lack of good leadership.

Gotta run - litterally. I'm going long today and I've already slept in.
    109845678380823202_Fl0UIBrN_b.jpg
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,246 AG

You mean that Mitt could not do "better" than THIS????????

obama_economic_record.jpg
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,246 AG
    Triathlete wrote: »
    Barack Obama will face serious challenges if he's re-elected in November.

A second Obama term would be like the Titanic backing up and taking another shot at the iceberg......