Home Bennett Marine

Tabman, what kinda tabs can I use on this boat transom?

SwampsquashSwampsquash Posts: 173 Deckhand
Tabman,

What options do I have for this type of boat hull. I have a set of m120 sport tabs on my old boat, not sure if theres a way they would work, if I moved em to this boat.

Boat is a 22'6" panga style hull. Thx for you Help!

vscoq1.jpg

Replies

• TabmanTabman Posts: 146 Deckhand
    Swampsquash,

Yes that's going to be a challenge! Do you have a picture of the stern from the side of the boat>

Tom
    Bennett Marine
  • SwampsquashSwampsquash Posts: 173 Deckhand
    2a4tk0h.jpg

2ylnxwy.jpg

Okay there it is. Its about a 13 inch difference in the transom "difference" (if you will). I saw another company that makes tabs, that starts with a L and ends with a O. makes a 12x12 for 17-30 ft boats. I guess not even 12 is enough. Is this going to require a ccustom deal?
    Wow, there are a few issues with this design that are going to make installing any brand of off the shelf almost impossible.

As you point out the "difference" (it looks closer to 14-1/2" to me) is going to rule out finding a stock Tab with enough chord (fore to aft measurement). Also with the actuator (ram) positioned on the trailing edge of the Tab the standard strokes of Lenco or Bennett will yield a reduced amount of deflection, although the increased surface area of a longer chord will make up for that a little bit.

The next issue is the height of that little step before the overhang. It looks to be 1/2" - 3/4", that's not enough room to mount the hinge plate for a Tab. The hinge plate would have to be installed on the bottom and screwed up into the hull. This can be done with any brand.

To attach the actuator to the transom you will need to position where it attaches to the trailing edge of the Trim Tab far enough aft so the cylinder body does not strike the transom when the Trim Tabs are in the full down position.

Also with the long chord the Tab will need to be reinforced to prevent cupping. One way to do that would to bend the sides of the Trim Tabs up 1" to increase its rigidity.

I know that we (Bennett) don't have anything that will fit and I suspect the same for Lenco.

On way to proceed may be to find a fabricator who can custom make the Tabs and by the rest of the components from a Trim Tab manufacturer.

Tom
    Bennett Marine
    Tabman wrote: »
    Wow, there are a few issues with this design that are going to make installing any brand of off the shelf almost impossible.

As you point out the "difference" (it looks closer to 14-1/2" to me) is going to rule out finding a stock Tab with enough chord (fore to aft measurement). Also with the actuator (ram) positioned on the trailing edge of the Tab the standard strokes of Lenco or Bennett will yield a reduced amount of deflection, although the increased surface area of a longer chord will make up for that a little bit.

The next issue is the height of that little step before the overhang. It looks to be 1/2" - 3/4", that's not enough room to mount the hinge plate for a Tab. The hinge plate would have to be installed on the bottom and screwed up into the hull. This can be done with any brand.

To attach the actuator to the transom you will need to position where it attaches to the trailing edge of the Trim Tab far enough aft so the cylinder body does not strike the transom when the Trim Tabs are in the full down position.

Also with the long chord the Tab will need to be reinforced to prevent cupping. One way to do that would to bend the sides of the Trim Tabs up 1" to increase its rigidity.

I know that we (Bennett) don't have anything that will fit and I suspect the same for Lenco.

On way to proceed may be to find a fabricator who can custom make the Tabs and by the rest of the components from a Trim Tab manufacturer.

Tom
    Bennett Marine

Ouch thats what i was afraid of.....Ugh!

Any ideas of who to talk to?
    Not really sure you might contact. Try searching for stainless steel fabricators in your area. Let me know what you come up with.

Tom
    Bennett Marine
    Tabman what about something like this http://www.insta-trim.com/trim-tab-systems/trim-tab-set-8.html

I know its a different company....Wondering if the mounting bracket portion would fit on the small vertical flat portion. Maybe a little trimming lol
    or possibly this http://www.iboats.com/16-X-12-Standard-Performance-Trim-Tab-Kit-Lenco/dm/view_id.716909
    Also the (step) that the hinge mounts too actually ranges from 1 3/8"- 1 1/2"......I don't know how wide it really needs to be for a hinge mount.
    Be careful, I think that Trim Tab is 16" side to side and 12" fore to aft.

edgemount_diagram.jpg

And would not fit under the overhang. So it would be best to check first.

We make some Trim Tabs that are 16" fore to aft, but you can see how big the hinge is and its not made to fit under the boat. Also note the location of the actuators:
    ST16%20dropout.jpg

I think itr's pretty much the same for Lenco:
    Heavy_Duty_Performance_Trim_Tab_Kit_e6ba0a354e11c639dc2d37d261e4d67f.jpg

I think the smallest height hinge plate we make is about 1-5/8" and I would not recommend it for a Tim Tab laonger than 12".

Tom
    Bennett Marine
    Hmmm ok well looks like tabs are gonna be near impossible ....
    Thanks for your help tabman as always!

Brian
    well I did a bunch of research and contacted panga marine in sarasota. (who makes a transom nearly identical)

And well lenco makes a 18 X 12 tab Part no 10638-101

Its a complete special order/custom deal....You have to ask for it etc. through a dealer. Its their special "panga tab"

Price tag about 1k with switch, etc. I am not sure tabs will make a thousand dollar difference, but I don't know.

wish I had other options, just thought I'd let you know

Brian
  • perlman1234perlman1234 Posts: 1,449 Officer
    Dude tabs make a 3000 dollar difference
    Dude tabs make a 3000 dollar difference

haha I'm sure to some people.....yes. Unfort I just can't afford it.....It would be nice. I strapped a doel-fin on and replaced the prop (which was needed anyway) Thats made a good difference. I think tabs would help me in the 3+ seas and for side to side listing....but oh well.
  • leonrenoleonreno Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    I saw this on The Hull Truth, maybe it could help: