Home Conservation Front

Charter Fisherman's Association Officers

I was recently being attacked/harrassed by an anonomous poster on another forum recently who refused to identify himself when asked - however, another forum member was able to uncover his identity - Capt. Shane Cantrell, an officer in the Charter Fisherman's Association.

Capt. Cantrell approached me at the New Orleans GC meeting and seemed to be a pretty good young captain - I guess I was wrong, but I should have known seeing the company that he keeps. You see, he is an officer with CFA - the Charter Fisherman's Association, and EDF has all of their minions workng overtime to try to discredit people who are actually trying to fight the corrupt system for ALL recreational fishermen in the Gulf, including the recreational fishermen who choose to fish aboard CFA vessels.

Here are Fishball's websites;
https://www.facebook.com/CharterFA#!...ictioncharters

http://gulfoffshorefishing.com/

Cantrell, aka "Fishball" on that forum is shown on the enclosed photo where he and a EDF-funded bus load of minions are driving back from the Congressional hearing in Panama City. FL a while back for the sole purpose of harrassing Rep. Steve Southerland and providing propaganda fodder for enviro writers such as Matt Tinning of the Marine Fish Conservation Network. The orange t-shirts they are wearing exclaiming "Keep Catch Shares On The Table" were paid for by EDF/Shareholders Alliance and handed out at the meeting by the Shareholder's TJ Tate. The Charterfisherman's Assocation's facebook page even contains a poorly vieled threat against the Congressman; "Dear Congressman,
Don't mess with Texas!!!!! We will give you a real welcome home."

This busload from Texas, according to enviro propagandist Matt Tinning supposedly represented "Fishermen in the Gulf — irrespective of their views on catch shares — spoke out en mass against Florida Panhandle Congressman Steve Southerland. And they did it for one simple reason: because he’s abjectly failing to do his job and represent them." En mass? Give me a break. Looks to me that the obnoxious orange t-shirts proclaim VERY LOUDLY that they ALL have the exact same view on catch shares despite Matt Tinning's propagandistic claim otherwise. They did it for one simple reason all right - GREED.

So, this young CFA officer has, as I predicted, used the typical M.O. of the EDF-funded lackeys of attacking people who are trying to shine the light on their profit grab, but do not possess the fortitude to stand up like a man and say it openly.

So much for CFA's highly touted push for "ACCOUNTABILITY". The Charter Fisherman's Association claims to be pushing for catch shares / sector separation for "accountability" reasons, yet they don't even want to be held accountable for their own actions.

What an absolute joke. No wonder they aren't interested in holding the NMFS accountable either.

I'm not surprised in the least. Look at other CFA officers/advisors and you will see plenty of people who have exhibited ethical lapses when it comes to being held accountable relative to our fisheries, EDF involvement, or failure to provide full disclosure.
http://charterfisherman.org/Default.aspx?pageId=1383628

CFA President Mike Jennings either bald-face lied to me (or was simply misinformed himself) when he wrote in an email to me that EDF wasn't involved in the Sector Separation Workshop 2 years ago. According to him, "EDF was not involved, not invited, and not at the table". However, the truth is that the Sector Separation Infomercial, uh, I mean Workshop, was SUPPOSED to have been a Gulf Council function but was in reality designed, orchestrated and CONTROLLED by EDF's Whitney Tome.

Capt. Billy Archer was involved in some legal morass a while back regarding the hiding of red snapper filets in the hold of his vessel. Although they tried to hold him accountable for these actions, he still denies any guilt in attempting to circumvent our fisheries management laws.

Capt. Mike Miglini; Scroll down on the link above and you will see the background of each officer - here is Miglini's; "Captain Michael Miglini owns Out to Sea Adventures in Port Aransas Texas and runs spearfishing, scuba diving and offshore fishing trips in the Gulf of Mexico. In addition to running regular offshore fishing trips Capt. Miglini has taken over 2,000 recreational fishermen and women on their first diving and spearfishing trip in the Gulf of Mexico. His specialty is providing safe, fun and friendly fishing opportunities to new anglers and divers of all ages and experience levels. Michael also assists local universities in conducting research on artificial reefs, red snapper, and physical oceanography. Graduate of St. Edward’s University with business degree in finance. Michael is married to his wife and first mate Jaime. He is the past secretary and president of the Port Aransas Boatmen, Inc., graduate of Leadership Corpus Christi, completed the Marine Resource Education Program in Massachusetts and has served on numerous fishery advisory panels."

I don't see any mention of the fact that Capt. Miglini is being paid $40,000/year by EDF for his position at CFA. I also don't see any mention that Capt. Miglini owns every conceivable type of COMMERCIAL IFQ there is. He very probably makes more money on the commercial side of the fishery than he does on the recreational side, yet he portrays himself as purely recreational in this EDF-scripted fluff. There is no mention of how Miglini, or any of these CFA captains are going to profit personally from the proposed windfall that will come if and when sector separation / catch shares come to the Gulf recreational fishery as the Shareholders Alliance members are telling them will happen.

Capt. Steve Tomeny. I don't see any mention of his felony conviction years ago of making false statements to the NMFS to obtain a red snapper endorsement;
http://masglp.olemiss.edu/Water%20Log/WL19/false.htm

"Appellants thereafter pleaded guilty to violating 18 U.S.C.
§ 1001, and appellants signed a written stipulation concerning the
factual basis for the guilty plea. The district court sentenced
Tomeny to six months’ home confinement and three years’ probation
and fined him $20,000. The district court fined Tomeny, Inc. $12,000."

I know you can't be elected to public office if you have been convicted of a felony, but I guess that doesn't apply to being appointed to the Board of The Charter Fisherman's Association.

Bottom line: These CFA officers and their minions do NOT want to provide full disclosure as to what they are actually up to here.

Word is the extremists enviro groups, such as EDF, are about to launch a billboard advertising campaign in FL District 2 depicting Rep Southerland as the #1 enemy of the oceans. Nothing is further from the truth. These extremists enviros that include EDF will use their Millions of dollars and handful of fishermen they support to spread the lies and misconceptions of reality to keep Rep Southerland from being re elected.

We clearly do not have the free Millions of dollars provided to the extremists enviros by family foundations they use to mislead the public, but we do know who has helped us to survive and who is truly concerned for our resources and livelihood. We can spread the truth of the work Rep Southerland and others have done for our resources and for jobs.

AND WE WILL CONTINUE TO PROVIDE THE TRUTH.

Capt. Thomas J. Hilton

Replies

• Keep on 'em Captain Tom.:applause
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • KyleStyleKyleStyle Posts: 426 Deckhand
    I want to preface this post by saying that you gentleman and ladies are doing a fine job of keeping the weekend warriors like me informed on what's really happening. It is very much appreciated. That being said, I often times chuckle at the tone some of these posts take. Some times I want to grab my tin foil hat, or a pitch fork for that matter. This post is in response to a passage from the OP that I looked into a little further.

As one who appreciates the reports of violations posted by FWC, I often research violations that are pointed out in the confron section. If not for anything, just to gain a better understanding of how our system works.

I was intrigued by the mention of the captain that was hiding Red Snapper fillets, "Capt. Billy Archer was involved in some legal morass a while back regarding the hiding of red snapper filets in the hold of his vessel. Although they tried to hold him accountable for these actions, he still denies any guilt in attempting to circumvent our fisheries management laws."

I looked it up- http://www.gc.noaa.gov/documents/2012/2010_ALJ_Archer_ocr.pdf

I read the whole thing and all I got out of it was; The offending charter captain may have fished in state and fed waters as he navigated both that day. Officer stopped the vessel for inspection as he entered state waters. As part of the inspection the officer asked the captain to show him on a chart where he caught these fish in state waters. Based on his previous dealings with this officer, the captain declined to show him where in state waters the fish came from. That captain fought the charge and won based on the defense's argument of the investigating officer's ignorance of the workings of his equipment/ it's calibration, and the offending captain's previous history with the investigating officer.

In those previous dealings, the investigating officer sought to form a commercial charter business- either in cooperation or competition with the offending captain- relying on a dead capt's numbers. That officer wanted to know what spots were natural bottom, what was man made reef.

This excerpt from a deposition surrounding the investigation introduced into evidence outlines the previous history with the officer and that history's role in the investigation;

"Respondent Billy P. Archer explained that Officer Erdman:
    A .... was explaining to me that he wanted me to look at the book
    and tell which were the anificial reefs and what was the natural
    bottom. I was-to be honest with you, I was offended by that
    because he is a state wildlife officer that is going to be in
    competition with me ... Later on that summer, I had passengers on
    my boat from Montgomery and Enterprise, Alabama, that said that
    Officer Erdman had contacted them, via telephone, and told them
    that he had Horace Posey's LORAN book, and Horace Posey's son
    was going to work deck for him, and the needed to fish with David
    Erdman and not fish with Billy Archer. ..
    Q. He [Erdman] says that he asked you to show him one of your
    spots on the chart where you say you would have caught these
    fish?
    A. He did.
    Q. And you refused to do that?
    A. I was offended by that."

Sounds like the LEO trying to circumvent the captain's denial of his earlier request for information about his own hand-me-down log book by initiating an investigation into the very information he was seeking.

Crooks on all sides. Will they not rest before they make outlaws out of honest men?

Keep up the great work, Mr. Hilton and Co.! Your posts are read, researched and discussed by many fisher-people.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,579 Moderator
    Interesting.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Tom HiltonTom Hilton Posts: 1,594 Captain
    Howdy,
    Again, what I object to in this process of misinforming the Gulf Council and American Public in general is the intentional lack of FULL DISCLOSURE.

Here is Michael Miglini's testimony at the Gulf Council meeting October 27-28, 2011;

"MR. MICHAEL MIGLINI: I’m Captain Michael Miglini and I thank you all for the opportunity to give public testimony today. I’m speaking on behalf of the Charter Fishermen’s Association. The Charter Fishermen’s Association was formed by a group of captains who each wrote a check out of their own personal or charter business accounts and pooled our resources to get organized and engage more effectively in this council process.

We are proud to work with any party or person who wishes to leave behind angry rhetoric or name calling and sit at a table with us to work on solutions which move this council process forward.

We are an independent association of proactive, solution-oriented people engaged in this process to have our own ideas and concerns heard.

The Charter Fishermen’s Association strongly supports any group or individual to bring forth new ideas and programs to be tested. We appreciate the Ecosystem Committee sending sector separation to scoping so we can see in greater resolution what it could look like and whether it could help or harm and whether we want to have it in the long term.

Without letting ideas proceed through the system, the system fails to function as it was designed. Multiple ideas can be concurrently tested and the Charter Fishermen’s Association would like to invite anyone to present ideas and programs while we also test days at sea, a headboat IFQ pilot program, or other ideas.

We are glad to see the Reef Fish Committee move our pilots forward for consideration and hope our success encourages others to bring forward ideas and engage in the solutions end of the council process as well."

First of all, the CFA was funded with $48,000 laundered for EDF by the Gulf of Mexico Reef Fish Shareholders Alliance in 2011 according to IRS records - the idea that these captains pulled out their own checkbooks and get engaged is not truthful by any stretch of the imagination, nor are they an "independent association" - they are highly dependent upon the Environmental Defense Fund to finance their travel, provide seed funding for the development of their organization, scripting of their speeches made at Congressional hearings, etc. - that is not name calling or "rhetoric" - it is a matter of public record.

They are, simply, a front organization for the Environmental Defense Fund.

Why not be honest about it instead of all of this nonsense? Oh yeah, people might see what they are REALLY doing here.

Capt. Thomas J. Hilton
  • testerman28testerman28 Posts: 1,329 Officer
    I will say this.. this red snapper bull has gone on for so long it makes people sick of it. As for trying to pick apart people like Billy Archer on his spots he built is just stupid! while others sat on their *** and only fished bottom, Billy worked his *** off making reefs.. i know this because i helped cut tires! too bad the feds, state and regular people do not understand what a simple life of fishing has become for some that only want to fish and make a living..
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,379 AG
    Man up Tom and grow some balls, if the boy is picking on you just kick his ****, lawyer up, and ride it out. Quit crying like this on an internet forum.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    Art,

You talking to me?
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,379 AG
    Yes, but it was a joke. I shoulda did a smiley.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Long GoneLong Gone Posts: 82 Deckhand
    The CFA does not represent the true opinion/views of the majority of charter fishermen in the Gulf. They exist to give the illusion that they do in the face of management officials and congressmen.
    What is the penalty for intentionaly submitting false information to the Gulf Council?
  • CaptBobBryantCaptBobBryant Posts: 5,716 Officer
    Tom Hilton wrote: »
    What is the penalty for intentionaly submitting false information to the Gulf Council?

None...Roy does it everyday and every time he opens his mouth....now the lies they tell congress that's a different story
    National Association of Recreational Anglers - Add Your Voice
    https://www.facebook.com/RecAnglers?notif_t=page_new_likes
    Here is a copy of the agenda for the upcoming Gulf Council meeting later this month;

http://www.gulfcouncil.org/council_meetings/agenda/Council%20Agenda%20-%2010-12.pdf

At the bottom of the first page of the agenda, you will see this warning;

"Oral or written communications provided to the Council, its members or its staff that relate to matters within the Council’s purview are public in nature.

These communications will be made available to the public in their entirety and maintained by the Council as part of its permanent record. Further, knowingly and willfully submitting false information to the Council is a violation of Federal law."

Miglini knowingly and willfully submitted false information to the Council in his public testimony from last October, and needs to be held accountable.

Capt. Thomas J. Hilton
  • CaptBobBryantCaptBobBryant Posts: 5,716 Officer
    Send this to the NOAA IG.....as part of his/her on going investigation...Rep Sutherland might like it as well....
    National Association of Recreational Anglers - Add Your Voice
    https://www.facebook.com/RecAnglers?notif_t=page_new_likes
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,284 Moderator
    Title 18 U.S.C. § 1001 : US Code - Section 1001: Statements or entries generally

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, whoever, in any
    matter within the jurisdiction of the executive, legislative, or
    judicial branch of the Government of the United States, knowingly
    and willfully -
    (1) falsifies, conceals, or covers up by any trick, scheme, or
    device a material fact;
    (2) makes any materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent
    statement or representation; or
    (3) makes or uses any false writing or document knowing the
    same to contain any materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent
    statement or entry;
    shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 5 years
    or, if the offense involves international or domestic terrorism (as
    defined in section 2331), imprisoned not more than 8 years, or
    both.
    (b) Subsection (a) does not apply to a party to a judicial
    proceeding, or that party's counsel, for statements,
    representations, writings or documents submitted by such party or
    counsel to a judge or magistrate in that proceeding.
    (c) With respect to any matter within the jurisdiction of the
    legislative branch, subsection (a) shall apply only to -
    (1) administrative matters, including a claim for payment, a
    matter related to the procurement of property or services,
    personnel or employment practices, or support services, or a
    document required by law, rule, or regulation to be submitted to
    the Congress or any office or officer within the legislative
    branch; or
    (2) any investigation or review, conducted pursuant to the
    authority of any committee, subcommittee, commission or office of
    the Congress, consistent with applicable rules of the House or
    Senate.
    I believe that Mr. Miglini knowingly and willfully submitted false information to the Gulf Council in direct violation of Federal law, since the IRS forms document that not only did these captains NOT fund the creation of the Charter Fisherman's Association, that the CFA could in no way be considered an "independent association" due to their heavy reliance on the Environmental Defense Fund for their very existence.

I believe Mr. Miglini intended to mislead the Gulf Council regarding the true nature of the CFA's creation, function, and role in the fisheries management process, as he certainly did not provide full disclosure regarding such.

In fact, The Charter Fisherman's Association is HIGHLY dependent upon the Environmental Defense Fund to provide; seed funding for the development of their organization, finance their ongoing travels to Washington DC, Gulf Council and other meetings, paying Miglini's $40,000/year salary, scripting of their speeches made at Congressional hearings, etc. They can in no way be considered an "independent association" when their very existence hinges on the revenue stream/"guidance" generated by the Environmental Defense Fund. The ideas espoused by the CFA are not "their own ideas" but rather those that have already been vetted and scripted by the Environmental Defense Fund.

The CFA is in effect an extension of the Environmental Defense Fund, acting as their agents in promoting the EDF-scripted fisheries management plan known as Sector Separation / Catch Shares. The CFA is in fact a front organization designed to give the illusion that the fishing industry supports this EDF-scripted agenda when in fact the overwhelming majority of Gulf recreational fishermen reject it. This is the same M.O. exhibited by EDF in their creation/development of similar front organizations up in the NE such as The Cape Cod Hook and Line Fishermen's Association or the Shareholders Alliance here in the Gulf to do EDF's bidding at Council/governmental functions.

The EDF Progress report states; "The work we are doing with a core group of for-hire recreational fishermen, whose movement we helped develop and continue to support, called SOS (Save Our Sector), will be important to continue to move catch shares forward in the for-hire sector of the recreational red snapper fishery." The Save Our Sector group has since changed its name to; The Charter Fisherman's Association. It is obvious what they are doing here, and Mr. Miglini needs to be held accountable for his attempt to mislead the Council with his public testimony, in apparent violation of Federal Law.
  • testerman28testerman28 Posts: 1,329 Officer
    Jack.. in this world of people fighting from both sides of a 'divided line' and 'shady deals' there would be many people going in for 3 meals and a cot for the 3-5 years if there was enough room.. :) great post though.. (seems our whole government may be emptied out if it was enforced though.. )..
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,284 Moderator
    Having a Federal LEO background, I will say that 18 USC 1001 is NOT a well used law. U.S. Attorneys rarely use this in prosecutions even though agents could press them to use it in almost any case, it rarely happened.

And trying to convince a U.S. Attorney to bring charges using this statute was tantamount to banging ones head against the proverbial brick wall
    I have received some emails concerning what is going on here - this is a quote from a commercial fisherman below;

"Miglini is the same guy that owns "Great Sage" right? Do you know how many shares or red snapper they own? I think they are the largest of all share holders, when you figure in all their relatives and shell corporations. If it is indeed Great Sage, and I think it is, I leased some red snapper from they last year. They are essentially THE people with red snapper allocation. If you would like to go catch and sell RS from the Gulf you call them, everyone does. Its a private company whos primary function is leasing red snapper to the Gulf's fishermen. I have heard they own hundreds of thousands of shares."

If this is true, this not only MAGNIFIES the problem, it underscores the deception that is being perpetrated upon the Gulf Council and the American People. Miglini either owns or is connected to the following corporations; South Atlantic Fishing, Inc., Great Sage, Inc., South Atlantic Grouper, Inc. and Decent Seas, Inc. I bet he makes over $1 million / year leasing his quota. NONE of that pertinent information was disclosed to the Gulf Council either when Miglini was trying to pass himself off as a "recreational" charter captain.

Miglini is in actuality a commercial fish broker masquerading as a recreational charter captain representing, as a Board Member, a "recreational charter fisherman's association" that is in reality an extension of an extreme anti-fishing environmental corporation that wants to privatize our Public Trust Resource - OUR Fish.

WTH?

Of course, this type of activity is safeguarded by the NMFS rules that prevent any American citizen from obtaining information regarding ownership of the shares, despite the fact that these shares represent what every American ALREADY owns - our Public Trust Resource - OUR Fish. Also, I understand that NOAA has proposed a data confidentiality rule would further significantly restrict my access to fisheries information - anyone else see where this is going?

Capt. Thomas J. Hilton