Skip to main content
Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Rod warranty info some good some bad

So I finally get around to sending off a few rods that have been damaged. I had a Trevala rod (Shimano) that lost a ceramic eye. Put it in the box sent it away and a week later they returned a brand new rod to replace it. Thank You very much Shimano!! Next I sent a 6 year old St Croix off for a broken tip (closed in a tailgate) and for $20 they send me a new rod to replace it! Thank you very much St Croix! Finally I send a GLoomis Greenwater off ( It actually snapped in half while fighting a fish). The Gloomis company (which is also Shimano owned) tells me the rod had a stress break and that is not covered by warranty! They would offer a half MSRP replacement plus $20 shipping and handling.....Now I know the manufacturing costs on the rods are nominal compared to the price MSRP and seeing as I have 6 of the Gloomis rods I have more than supported the product. I politely ask for a supervisor and explain the issue and she states that the warranty is "limited" and that is the Gloomis policy. End of story. Ok, well guess what....No more loomis products will be purchased by me! There are too many other quality rod builders that stand behind their products to spend that kind of money on loomis. Just wanted to let everyone else know my experience so that you consider that in your next purchase.

Replies

• summer dazesummer daze Posts: 883 Officer
    Thx for the info. I have only had great experiences with Shimano, they stand behind their products. I broke a rod not to long back and mailed it off. A week later they OVERNIGHTED me a brand new one.. Can't ask for much more than that... :hail
    jgocnk.jpg
    Tight Lines..
  • SnookMan772SnookMan772 Posts: 661 Officer
    Too Ironic.... I actually just sent back a blue water series rod to GLoomis. After reading the warranty info online I decided to go thru Lott Bros to do the express program. $100 and no questions asked. This included the shipping. Now I still wasn't very thrilled overall for having to pay $100, but i guess it's better that 1/2 MSRP. After reading the warranty info online i had the feeling that they would pull that kind of stuff when you send it back. Low and behold that exactly what they did to you!

That's why i stick with local stuff like Crowder Rods. Great rods and a great warranty, plus they are local so no shipping. I just picked up a few warranty rods yesterday for NO COST! Now if you broke the tip off on your tailgate i wouldn't expect them to replace that for free since it wasn't a defect or their fault anyway. The GLoomis case would have been a differnt senario.

Hey 2 out of 3 isn't that bad i guess. It's like the glass half full or half empty???
  • CATastropheCATastrophe Posts: 271 Officer
    That is ironic....I agree with you on the rod tip! I just took a flyer on the St Croix and to my suprise they stepped right up with a new rod! I am not too disappointed as I had already replaced the broken rod with an extra I had on the rack but still a little disappointing that they did not replace a rod that broke doing what it was designed to do. Especially considering the price they ask for the rods. Good product but I agree that there are local builders that build as nice a rod. I actually have a couple of Crowders and I love them.
  • avmechavmech Posts: 1,381 Officer

That's why i stick with local stuff like Crowder Rods. Great rods and a great warranty, plus they are local so no shipping. I just picked up a few warranty rods yesterday for NO COST! Now if you broke the tip off on your tailgate i wouldn't expect them to replace that for free since it wasn't a defect or their fault anyway. The GLoomis case would have been a differnt senario.

That is why most of mine are Crowders too
    Member #10822
  • ShoelessShoeless Posts: 2,110 Captain
    Every rod I own is a Crowder. Rob is a VERY upstanding rod builder that stands behind his product.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PaulBoatPaulBoat Posts: 4,389 Officer
    I'm surprised. I sent Loomis a broken rod that I've had for almost 15 years. My son left it in a rod holder on the dock overnight with bait on. Next morning I found it broken. I sent it with a note saying how old the rod was and that I did not have the receipt. To my surprise a new one showed up two weeks later.

Might be hit or miss....

Sent from my Droid
  • Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,804 Moderator
    PaulBoat wrote: »
    I'm surprised. I sent Loomis a broken rod that I've had for almost 15 years. My son left it in a rod holder on the dock overnight with bait on. Next morning I found it broken. I sent it with a note saying how old the rod was and that I did not have the receipt. To my surprise a new one showed up two weeks later.

Might be hit or miss....

Sent from my Droid

Was this the warranty or "expeditor" service? I have a Loomis glx that needs to be replaced, but not sure if I want to gamble using the warranty method...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keeping busy while away from Florida

https://www.youtube.com/user/UFpwrLifter/videos?view_as=public
    Warranty. Printed the form they have online. Filled it out and sent along with the rod.

Sent from my Droid
  • Ankona SkiffsAnkona Skiffs Posts: 123 Deckhand
    Shoeless wrote: »
    Every rod I own is a Crowder. Rob is a VERY upstanding rod builder that stands behind his product.

Tried to get a rod replaced once by Crowder. Well half dozen phone calls and 6 months later I finally got it.

Was treated like an inconvenience and disregarded. Very dissapointed
    Paul,

How long ago was that? I went through the same process....even called them to confirm I was following the right procedure, went through the receipt file and found the original receipt. I was still told I had to pay 1/2 msrp.
  • snooknreds2snooknreds2 Posts: 514 Officer
    Sorry to hear loomis wont step up! But like others said 2 out o3 aint bad!

Do any of you guys know about Star rods? I have one that I acquired years ago that now has a broken tip and broken reel seat.
    A lazy fisherman is a boater!!
  • blazing_reelsblazing_reels Posts: 595 Officer
    My Shimano Trevela S-rod broke off 3 guides partly due to my fault of using the wrong knot for braid to floro. I mailed it back to them along with org receipt and once they had my rod I had a brand new one in my hands 3 days later. I have gone through shimano for years now and trust their product and service. Top notch!!
  • Capt.AWCapt.AW Posts: 937 Officer
    Tried to get a rod replaced once by Crowder. Well half dozen phone calls and 6 months later I finally got it.

Was treated like an inconvenience and disregarded. Very dissapointed

No kidding..I'm 5 weeks out right now on a warranty from them.
  • snook87snook87 Posts: 1,707 Captain
    There's a family and personal friend of mine that fixes all my rods and hundreds or other for less then the price of shipping the rod away. He's been doing rods and other crafts for over 20 years and also makes his own rods. If anyone is interested contact me through a PM and I can give you his info and number. His shop is in hobe sound off shell ave(runs parallel to the railroad tracks south of bridge rd)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • snook87snook87 Posts: 1,707 Captain
    No kidding..I'm 5 weeks out right now on a warranty from them.

I turn mine in to the crowder rod shop and they either fix it next day or replace on the spot. Talk to Rob directly when you go to their shop. Sometimes things get backed up when trade shows come up and the production of his new series line for all the big name stores is demanded.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Capt.AWCapt.AW Posts: 937 Officer
    I work for a Crowder retailer. Myself and 100% of our customers are treated like this......Star rods on the other hand are replaced the following week if they have it at their warehouse.
    I work for a Crowder retailer. Myself and 100% of our customers are treated like this......Star rods on the other hand are replaced the following week if they have it at their warehouse.

Sorry to hear you are having troubles with Crowder, your experience is completely different from mine. I had two light tackle rods that broke, one my fault and one fishing. I walked right in his shop and both were replaced on the spot. I paid $40 for the one I broke, which was less than 1/3 of retail so I was happy. My next experience will keep me with Crowder for a long time.

I had Rob build me 4 custom Blue Water Series high speed trolling rods some time ago and unfortunately one snapped at the tip. Rob built me a completely new rod to replace it for no cost!!! This one took about a week and a half to rebuild. I was completely ok with that time frame for a total custom rod.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Paul,

How long ago was that? I went through the same process....even called them to confirm I was following the right procedure, went through the receipt file and found the original receipt. I was still told I had to pay 1/2 msrp.

This year - early in the year. That's when I actually realized Loomis was owned by Shimano when I got a package from them, I thought to myself that I hadn't ordered anything...

Sent from my Droid
    I have 2 custom Crowders in need of repair, a little nervous from the mixed reviews...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Martin LocalMartin Local Posts: 557 Officer
    crowder is great i usually just drive over to the shop
    MartinSig012-1-1.jpg
    I have 2 custom Crowders in need of repair, a little nervous from the mixed reviews...

Hey Long,

If the repairs are needed due to a defect covered under the lifetime warrantee, you should have no problem. If you slammed them in a car door, tell them, and they will treat you right. Just walk in the shop and ask for Rob.

Let me know how it works out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Shoeless wrote: »
    Hey Long,

If the repairs are needed due to a defect covered under the lifetime warrantee, you should have no problem. If you slammed them in a car door, tell them, and they will treat you right. Just walk in the shop and ask for Rob.

Let me know how it works out.

Just dropped the rods off to Rob at crowder. Took down my name and number and said it will be done within 2wks. Nice guy, smooth process so far. One rod needed a new ceramic piece around the tip guide and the other rod had the second guide from tip have a guide foot come off of the blank. Not sure how or when these things happened, but it sounds like it will be covered. I'll report back.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Just dropped the rods off to Rob at crowder. Took down my name and number and said it will be done within 2wks. Nice guy, smooth process so far. One rod needed a new ceramic piece around the tip guide and the other rod had the second guide from tip have a guide foot come off of the blank. Not sure how or when these things happened, but it sounds like it will be covered. I'll report back.

Let us know, I have a feeling you will be very happy with the entire process.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AlleniAlleni Posts: 344 Deckhand
    Drop my star rod at the dealer the other day had a brand new rod 2 weeks later, no questions asked. Didn't pay a dime and have been very pleased with this company since I bought my first rod with them.

I just picked it up. It was repaired under warranty at 2wks on the dot. I am happy with the service.

Also sent my g Loomis glx (owned by shimano) rod in for repair a couple of days before dropping off the crowder rod and received a brand new one (new model since old was discontinued) at my door at the 2wk mark.

I would be more satisfied with crowder's service if they at least polished the rod or repaired a couple of other areas on the rods that you can tell will pose a problem within a year. They did neither, they just repaired the areas that absolutely needed it to function properly.

I am thrilled with shimano/g loomis's warranty service. They could've repaired only the guides, but sent me a brand new 2013 model valued at $435 instead.

I'm not saying I won't buy another crowder, but if there were a comparable g Loomis or shimano, I'll probably stick with them based on past experiences.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Did you pay anything for the Gloomis? I am a little confused as to why they would send you a new rod for broken guides and refuse to replace mine that broke while fighting a fish. :huh
    Did you pay anything for the Gloomis? I am a little confused as to why they would send you a new rod for broken guides and refuse to replace mine that broke while fighting a fish. :huh

All I paid was to ship it to them. In my warranty paper that I sent to them, I questioned why the "unbreakable" recoil guides broke on my glx... They didn't ask any questions, just sent email with tracking number and new rod. Did yours have a lifetime warranty?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]