Skip to main content
Home General Paddle Craft

Yakless

PBG-JohnPBG-John Senior MemberPalm Beach GardensPosts: 419 Deckhand
Yesterday I sold my beloved Ocean Kayak Angler 15'. Now the age old question of what to buy next. Do I buy a WS Tarpon 14' or 16? Another OK? Maybe the new NW Slayer? I don't want a pedal drive boat so that leaves Hobie and Propel drive boats out.

I'm 6'3", 190 lbs and 95% of fishing is inshore.

Any ideas? :shrug
The latest survey shows that
three out of four people make
up 75% of the population

Replies

• irishff727irishff727 Senior Member wpbPosts: 948 Officer
    WS ride 135. Been eye balling that yak for a lil while

Time enjoyed wasted usually means I've been fishing
    time enjoyed wasted is not wasted time
  • ChobeeboysChobeeboys Senior Member OkeechobeePosts: 417 Officer
    One week ago I got a 12 WS Ride 135, the comfort is awesome, the tracking is good -not great but good. I have not rigged it yet still figuring out what to go with, however I love the ride great yak
    Freedom is not free, but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share.
    Ned Dolan
  • summer dazesummer daze Senior Member Stuart, FLPosts: 883 Officer
    John, you know u wanna come over to the dark side..:wink
    jgocnk.jpg
    Tight Lines..
  • PBG-JohnPBG-John Senior Member Palm Beach GardensPosts: 419 Deckhand

Ya never know do ya?
    up 75% of the population
  • EdwardHBLWEdwardHBLW Member Posts: 58 Deckhand
    What about the Jackson Cudas? I know a few inshore guys that LOVE theirs...
    2012 Hobie Outback
  • VeroDDVeroDD Senior Member Vero Beach, FLPosts: 327 Deckhand
    After owning an OK 15 Angler and the fact you are 6'3", I can't imagine you being happy with a 12' or 13' yak. I think you are looking at an Ultra:cool:
  • timmcollinstimmcollins Senior Member Jupiter, flPosts: 858 Officer

LOL!

After seeing the seat and leg room in Rick's PA, I'm now thinkin how to convince my wife that I REALLY REALLY need one.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, Cheeseburger in the other, body well used and worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"
    LOL!

After seeing the seat and leg room in Rick's PA, I'm now thinkin how to convince my wife that I REALLY REALLY need one.

Yeah Tim, tell her it's for her piece of mind knowing that you're safe out there. Hey, I gotta try that one.
    up 75% of the population
    PBG-John wrote: »
    Yeah Tim, tell her it's for her piece of mind knowing that you're safe out there. Hey, I gotta try that one.

I have a sizeable Life Insurance policy so the "Safety" may not work. Hmmm...let's see our anniversary is coming up there may be a angle there.

If I don't go to the dark side, that new Slayer and the Cuda would have my attention! I like the open bow on the slayer, with the fish bag.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, Cheeseburger in the other, body well used and worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"
    So john how are we going fishing this weekend if you sold your yak? Man guess I got to find another fishing buddy till you make a new purchase. BTW I have test paddled that ride a bunch if times. Great yak very very stable and comfortable.

• Redneck RocketRedneck Rocket Member Posts: 88 Deckhand
    This is how you convince her!

attachment.php?attachmentid=44629&d=1344711386

I take my wife out to cruise around, go snorkeling, check out wildlife etc. and she loves it, and the fact that she can sit back and relax even more!
  • Lt.FireDogLt.FireDog Senior Member StuartPosts: 1,112 Officer
    John,
    since you've already had a Hobie (& didn't care for it), had a great inshore/offshore boat with the Prowler 15...maybe it's time to change it up.......I would take a hard look at the Native Slayer 14.5, it looks like a great fishing platform, has a proven, super comfy seat and it's a "new kid on the block".....you'll be the envy of all your friends! thumbs_up_smiley.gif

....or just go with the Trident Ultra 4.3 & be cool like me! :grin
  • YakerLGYakerLG Senior Member Posts: 129 Deckhand
    Why no pedal drive? Besides the obvious price, they are still low maintenance, you can fish more/fish farther/and fish worse conditions..just my .02 Besides, even though theyre more expensive new I got a hobie revolution with pedal drive for 800 after being patient and prowling the classifieds. I wouldnt rule one out!

The native propel is a nice boat too..
  • Captain YakCaptain Yak Senior Member Broward CountyPosts: 679 Officer
    I had a Tarpon 140 and went to Hobie Outback. WS makes a great Kayak, but the Hobie is way better!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If you don't lose, you will eventually win.
    - Helio Gracie

Links:
    YouTube - SoFlo Kayak Fishing
    Valente Brother's Jiu-Jitsu Fort Lauderdale
    YakerLG and Capt Yak, thanks for the comments. I used to pedal a Hobie Revo. It doesn't do alot for me. Of course there is a big difference between a Revo and a PA.

I have been waiting on the NW Slayer 14.5. They're out now and at the top of my list. I like the first class seating NW has. I'm an old guy and need my recliner.
    up 75% of the population
    irishff727 wrote: »
    So john how are we going fishing this weekend if you sold your yak? Man guess I got to find another fishing buddy till you make a new purchase. BTW I have test paddled that ride a bunch if times. Great yak very very stable and comfortable.

Sorry John, I wasn't thinking. Give me a couple weeks. I'll be back.
    up 75% of the population
    Lt.FireDog wrote: »
    .....you'll be the envy of all your friends

And then everyone will want one.
    up 75% of the population
  • PottymouthPottymouth Senior Member LantanaPosts: 1,547 Captain
    Try a PA 12.. Demo one, pricy but its a bad mo fo!!
    sfkglogo.pngadrenalinelogo.pngjimyjigslogo.jpgaccuratelogo.png
  • Captain YakCaptain Yak Senior Member Broward CountyPosts: 679 Officer
    YakerLG and Capt Yak, thanks for the comments. I used to pedal a Hobie Revo. It doesn't do alot for me. Of course there is a big difference between a Revo and a PA.

I have been waiting on the NW Slayer 14.5. They're out now and at the top of my list. I like the first class seating NW has. I'm an old guy and need my recliner.

I'm with you on the slayer 14.5. I like it over the 12 and I would not mind adding one of those to my fleet. I really like the cut-out in the front. Perfect place for a fish bag!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If you don't lose, you will eventually win.
    - Helio Gracie

Links:
    YouTube - SoFlo Kayak Fishing
    Valente Brother's Jiu-Jitsu Fort Lauderdale
  • jakejake Senior Member SarasotaPosts: 326 Deckhand
    The seat on my cuda is second to none. Stable all day long. I narrowed my choice between a ride, tarpon or cuda. The tarpon was definitely easier to paddle, but I really enjoy being able to stand and fish...
    Sorry John, I wasn't thinking. Give me a couple weeks. I'll be back.

Haha no problem man. I'm gonna be jealous when your rocking that first class seat.

I take my wife out to cruise around, go snorkeling, check out wildlife etc. and she loves it, and the fact that she can sit back and relax even more!

BINGO!! You're my hero! One look at the chaise she'll picture herself being peddled around with a cocktail SOLD! I'll have my PA in no time!!
    BINGO!! You're my hero! One look at the chaise she'll picture herself being peddled around with a cocktail SOLD! I'll have my PA in no time!!

Hopefully you meant to say "pedaled" not "peddled". :nono
    up 75% of the population
    Trout bite was hot again today

irishff727 wrote: »
    Trout bite was hot again today

That's it. Rub it in... :Angry
    up 75% of the population
  • Redneck RocketRedneck Rocket Member Posts: 88 Deckhand

I got that chair at Sports Authority for $40, it even has a sun-shade (look at the backrest area it basically extends up so you can be in the shade.) My wife loves goes on adventures, seeing wildlife, especially dolphins, manatees, birds etc. but she suffers from an immune system disease so she can't really paddle (or pedal) herself and her energy levels are sometimes very low. So it was the perfect solution for both of us. Clearly it is not as stable with 2 people on there, but the load capacity is rated at 500lbs, and we've been out in Biscayne Bay in Miami, out around the flats by the finger channels and even off Dania to snorkel the reefs. As long as the seas are calm, 2 people is a piece of cake with that arrangement, and yes, She Who Must Be Obeyed will feel like a Queen if you're pedaling her around while she reclines with a cocktail!
    That's it. Rub it in... :Angry
    Lol sorry man. Would you sell your car with out having another one ready lol

• Darylb23Darylb23 Senior Member Posts: 254 Deckhand
    You just dont want it bad enough. Get a pool noodle and get out there and fish. :fishing
    South River Outfitters Fishing Team - KayakBassFishing.com AmBASSador
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Senior Member Posts: 4,438 Captain

Now that is Yachting!!!

Wonderful set up.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Senior Member Posts: 4,438 Captain
    Speaking of Jackson Cuda' ( which I was very close to saying 'I Do') now I see this month's FS magazine ad:

Jackson Kilroy

Sit inside and sit on top combo. Looks like self bailing floor.Same hull as the Cuda
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink