Home Angler On Foot

ormond beach trip

Stonecrab_23Stonecrab_23 Posts: 209 Deckhand
I'm heading east and targeting the waters of the Atlantic my desired catch is blue fish, shark,permit and jack creval.any tips?

Replies

• BayportBayport Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    I'm heading east and targeting the waters of the Atlantic my desired catch is blue fish, shark,permit and jack creval.any tips?

I surf fish Ormond all the time. For what you are targeting use live finger mullet on a fish finder rig with enough weight so you bait does not wash ashore. This time of year there should be plenty of finger mullet to castnet. I am heading over this weekend to give it a try.
    I would also throw a plug this time of year when the mullet are running. I have had success with Gags Bluefish Bomb in chrome and the Rapala XRap Skitter Walk (large size so you can throw it some distance). Do not overlook throwing parallel to the beach in the first swash channel. I have caught bluefish throwing the Bluefish Bomb in the first swash within 6 feet of the sand.
  • Stonecrab_23Stonecrab_23 Posts: 209 Deckhand
    Ha I'm heading out there this weekend also well maybe I see you man well If I knew who you are lol but ill bring a castnet and squid and mullet.
    Ha I'm heading out there this weekend also well maybe I see you man well If I knew who you are lol but ill bring a castnet and squid and mullet.

I am fishing down on Mosquito Lagoon on Friday morning and in the evenings I probably will be out on the beach behind Surfside South Condo. I will have a cast-net as well and a couple of bait rods out and a plug rod. If you can find the Bluefish Bomb lure they work great during the mullet run. You probably would not be able to find any locally, I purchase my lures over the internet. That lure is more popular in the northeast for Blues and Stripers. You can cast it a mile and you reel it so it skips across the surface and the blues and jacks will nail it this time of year. I think the large Skitter Walk will work just as well; it looks a lot like a finger mullet. Wish you luck over there. There will be a full moon this weekend so there will be strong tides that will make the fishing even better.
    Ill be at the cove hotel and much thanks for the advice and much luck to you sir. Nothing are there any special rigss I can use to better my fishing such as the a Carolina rig for that be appropriate to use?
    Ill be at the cove hotel and much thanks for the advice and much luck to you sir. Nothing are there any special rigss I can use to better my fishing such as the a Carolina rig for that be appropriate to use?

I use a fish finder rig when I am using a live finger mullet. Similiar to the blue photo on the attached link: http://www.stripersonline.com/t/485703/fish-finder-rig
    Oh ok I got this . I should do more than 20 lbs test then
    Oh ok I got this . I should do more than 20 lbs test then

I use braid on my spinning reels so I can go with a thinner diameter and have a greater strength fishing line. The thinner diameter will allow you to make longer casts. I also use conventional reels for my bait rods and use mono on those reels. I use no more than 17lb test mono on those reels with a 12 to 13 foot shock leader followed by a 40 to 50 pound mono leader that I attached my hook and weight to. With that rig on a conventional reel and a quality rod you can put your bait out close to a 100 yards. When using the mono you have to be careful of the tension settings on your drag.
    I greatly appreciate it sir
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    I fished a pompano rig a couple of weeks ago using live finger mullet and got my first sea turtle just past the first bar.

I couldn't get over how white and mild the flesh was. Much better than Manatee.