Skip to main content
Home Fly Fishing

Sili leg question

tj5485tj5485 Senior MemberPosts: 139 Officer
been messing around with merkins and crab patterns lately....trying to figure out the easiest way to tie the knots in the sili legs for the jointed look. Should i tie the knots first? after? do the legs need to be facing each other or away? Thanks guys

Replies

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Senior Member Posts: 4,804 Captain
    Sili legs being a bit soft I've never tried to do that simple overhand knot that some use. Don't think the fish will ever notice whether it's knotted or not....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • tj5485tj5485 Senior Member Posts: 139 Officer
    Mr lemay, have you tried with any other leg material? I just feel like there is more movement in the water when the legs are jointed? I could be wrong.
  • kudzukudzu Senior Member Jacksonville, FLPosts: 245 Deckhand
    I just tie the overhand knot and pull tight a few times being careful not to be so firm I snap the leg. Then I attach to the body.
    Team Fishbusters
    Twitter @redfshwhisperer
    - Pelican Eclipse 116
    "My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it." - Koos Brandt
  • tj5485tj5485 Senior Member Posts: 139 Officer
    But how far apart do you make the knots? And should the legs all be going in the same direction? Or ....
    I only use one knot and sweep the legs back (same direction). The claws go forward so I figure that covers both bases.
    Team Fishbusters
    Twitter @redfshwhisperer
    - Pelican Eclipse 116
    "My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it." - Koos Brandt
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Senior Member Posts: 4,804 Captain
    Since I used to teach fly tying (back in the Stone Age - or early eighties to be more accurate).... Here's what I used to advise my students. Tie up any pattern - then go use it.... On the water, be critical of how the fly performs (does it sink fast enough - or too fast), does it move the way you want it to in the water.... If the fly doesn't do what's needed then try something else...

Seriously - there's just no substitute for time on the water and watching very carefully to see what the fly is actually doing.... and of course, you get the fun of doing something different the next time you sit down to tie up a few.....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    I'd agree with Bob. The legs look fine to me (I'd just shorten them a bit).

With a young son at home I don't get on the water much but all of my flies get bath time. :) My son's gotten used to me invading the first minutes of his bath (before he's in the water, of course ;) ) to try new patterns/material combinations. You'll find that what you thought would work makes the fly ride funny. Or maybe it doesn't get down like you'd like. I also take advantage of the pond across the street the same way.
    Team Fishbusters
    Twitter @redfshwhisperer
    - Pelican Eclipse 116
  • shouldabeenworkinshouldabeenworkin Member Mount DoraPosts: 60 Deckhand
    I like the bathwater trick, your son will remember when the urge to fish comes upon him. I'm lucky enough to have a pool and recentley purchased a gopro camera that may really prove useful in evaluating fly movement under differing stripping rythems. Maybe that would make some good posts?