Home Angler On Foot

mullet pods

Stonecrab_23Stonecrab_23 Posts: 209 Deckhand
My favorite bait is mullet and here in Clearwater they like to hang out just out if reach with a cast net and would love to get hold of em. Can someone help

Replies

• barrynflabarrynfla Posts: 592 Officer
    Might be kinda slow going but you can use a big treble hook and try to snag a couple, or a few. I've gotten some this way. Depends on how many you need.
  • peshkatarpeshkatar Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    I use a kayak for this. I can fill up a 5 gallon backet in half an hour or so when they are thick. I can't believe it most people here in US don't bother eating them! They are a delicacy in Europe :). I can't wait for the roe mullet run in Daytona area in the next couple of months.
  • Stonecrab_23Stonecrab_23 Posts: 209 Deckhand
    I would love a kayak but these mullet are big and hang by the Courtney cambell causeway
  • Indian River JoelIndian River Joel Posts: 362 Officer
    stone,

Cast net them somewhere else. They are all over the place in Tampa Bay. You can get them at the Weedon Island dock, Ft. Desoto, on the South side of the road on the Gandy once you get to st. pete, and everywhere in between.

Edit: I almost forgot. Snug Harbor Rd. is the best place to get bait in general whether its mullet, fiddlers, or white bait. Go there on an incoming tide and the mullet will be thick
    "Indian River" Joel
    www.wadefishingflorida.com
    321-402-9881
  • Stonecrab_23Stonecrab_23 Posts: 209 Deckhand
    Sweet I use to live in Jacksonville and all I had to do was go to Anastasia island and boom but thanks for the tip sir.
  • Indian River JoelIndian River Joel Posts: 362 Officer
    I used to live in St. Pete. The mullet tend to be pretty big over there, but they are plentiful. What are you targeting? mullet may not be your best bait choice
    "Indian River" Joel
    www.wadefishingflorida.com
    321-402-9881
  • TB421TB421 Posts: 271 Officer
    Be careful trying to net them off the CCC. Alot of good places to lose your net there if you're not careful. Like barrynfla said, using a large treble hook works. I've done it at the CCC, just driving down the service road until I see the school, pass them, jump out, cast the weighted treble and wait. As soon as the school moves along reel in fast and the second you feel the hook hit em yank the rod back. If they're thick out there, then you can get quite a few in no time.