Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Everglades Inshore Trip

Took another group of guys out last weekend. These gentleman had never been fishing on a boat before and booked a trip to try something new. Left POI around 7am and headed out. With the weather conditions and threat of storms all day, inshore was going to be the place to be. Water was low with the negative low tides, so I brought us to some deeper cuts to drift until the tide turned. That landed about 3 redfish, these were on the smaller side. 2 being shorts and one was around 20". As the tide turned though, the bite turned on.
Everglades%2091512%20001_zpsa2e62771.jpg
Everglades%2091512%20005_zpsa6706bfb.jpg
Everglades%2091512%20014_zps9b4ff857.jpg
Cut ladyfish was the big winner again today. The guys had a blast. We caught around 25 redfish, the largest fish was about 25". Small snook, snapper, a few trout. Later in the day a big school of jacks and juve tarpon came thru and crashed our baits.
Everglades%2091512%20011_zpsc5280dc0.jpg
Everglades%2091512%20002_zpse9837ccb.jpg
Everglades%2091512%20008_zps5527770c.jpg
And I did realize that I have become a fish "snob" when it comes to the fish I eat. Very seldom do I harvest a fish personally unless I am going to eat it that day. Not that there is anything wrong with it, I just prefer fresh and not frozen. These guys were very happy to have the fish in this picture. And what you are not seeing is the cooler full of big sailcats and jacks that thy were more excited about than the redfish. I asked if they wanted me to fillet the fish at the close of the day, to which they said filleting was to wasteful, they would take care of it.
Everglades%2091512%20015_zps1571c665.jpg
A good day with good people.
http://hopefishing.comFishing the Florida Everglades National Park with Hope Fishing Adventures.

Replies

• nightflynightfly Posts: 504 Officer
    Sailcats and jacks huh. Honestly I have tried both years ago and I remember it wasn't too bad. I've become a snob as well I like my mangs and flounders. Good job on all those redfish that's quite a day.
  • blewitupsirblewitupsir Posts: 774 Officer
    I to tried them long ago, and while the sailcats were not to bad, I couldnt figure out a way to make the jacks overly enjoyable. And here lately I have been scoring every trip with the redfish. Makes for a very enjoyable day for both my guest as well as myself.
    http://hopefishing.comFishing the Florida Everglades National Park with Hope Fishing Adventures.
  • JSTickumJSTickum Posts: 412 Deckhand
    I to tried them long ago, and while the sailcats were not to bad, I couldnt figure out a way to make the jacks overly enjoyable. And here lately I have been scoring every trip with the redfish. Makes for a very enjoyable day for both my guest as well as myself.
    Great report , the Reds seem to be thick every where . As for the Jack's , this time of year they are great , they come in off the Gulf , fight hard and are some what clean . I look for the 10 to 15 pounders , bleed them , cut the back strap off leaving the skin on and smoke them for 3 to 4 hrs with butter , green pepper , onion , and oldbay , peel the skin off and serve over lettuce and tomato .
  • tailchaser16tailchaser16 Posts: 655 Officer
    True Story: Wife told me to go fishing cause her widowed aunt wanted some fresh fish. Headed over to the Islands and all day long all I could manage was a 4-5 lbs Jack. Threw it in the cooler and said well this is what she's getting. Went home, wife asked what I had caught and I showed her. She asked, are you kidding? Going to give my aunt that? I replied; look, your uncle used to fish from the beach and God only knows what he was catching there and eating so this will be a bit of treat for her.
    I filleted the Jack and removed the skin and blood line. She now had 4 pure white meat fillets in a zip lock. Sure enough her aunt came over picked up the fish that night. Two days later the aunt calls and asked what kind of fish it was I gave her, cause it was delicious! Wife replied, "I have no idea what he gave you".