GLoomis NRX spinning rod - REC guide damage from PP or PPSSlick?

Power SnapperPower Snapper Posts: 22 Greenhorn
Second post. Maybe this is an old rumor and has been debunked or maybe not but...

Picking up a GLoomis NRX spinning rod.

Recoils.. uuuh.. Is this a :nono with braid? I only ask because of pictures on the internet and from what others have told me. I've never tried it myself. I would hate to have to switch lines because power pro or super slick or other braid will..may?.. groove into the guides causing sharp edges. Is this true?

I should clarify. I have heard tiny bits/debris/sand works into the braid. Then the line eventually saws into the rec guides. I called Shimano earlier today and the person I spoke with claimed he had never heard of braid causing this problem. I suggested that he google it and look at some photos. The same person also had no idea what a JDM Shimano reel was.. so. :huh

I have a hard time believing Shimano would sell a product that causes damage to their other products.. but.. the world is a crazy place and crazier things have happened.

I'm left kind of confused about this. I've heard it's true and seen pictures but then also heard it isn't true and to me - just doesn't make sense. Does anyone have first hand, extended experience using power pro and/or super slick with the NRX or other REC equipped rods? Any damage? Can I rest easy knowing my NRX will be in good company with my power pro and super slick?

Replies

• bantam1bantam1 Posts: 541 Officer
    The REC guides are approved for use in braided line. They use a Titanium Nickel alloy with a special coating. If the composition is not correct then I can see there being a soft guide. From a warranty standpoint we do not see many issues with grooved guides. I answer all of the customer service emails we receive. I see this complaint maybe 2-3 times per year.

I personally have several NRX rods along with my fishing partner. We both use Super Slick and have not had any issues. The guides are still black in color. You would think the line would make them shiny by now.

Buy with confidence. We are not going to release a product that is not going to work with Power Pro since we own Power Pro. The rods are also covered by a lifetime warranty.

Our customer service people are not going to have any information on the JDM models. We deal with the North and South American market only. We offer the US model reels to these markets.
  • Power SnapperPower Snapper Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    Good info - thanks ! Hopefully anyone on the fence with this issue will see this via google or whatever and can dismiss it!

I will say that when I talked to the person about JDM items they did try and point me to someone who could help. I probably should have came here first.

Thanks again Bantam! NRX should be in my hands this evening. Will post pics later... If I'm not busy - fishing, that is!
  • Power SnapperPower Snapper Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    Threw super slick on the combo this weekend. Immediate benefits are as advertised - smoother longer casting and less noise from sliding through the guides.

Somewhat related note:

I was sold on some comparable Ohero braid when I picked up the Superslick. I was in a local shop and the salesman wanted me to go with Ohero. He was adamant that I would be just as happy with the Ohero. That it would perform just as well at a lower price. I made a compromise since he was a real nice guy and seemed to really stand behind the product. (that or he had a lot in stock and there is a good mark up on it :wink)

I spooled one reel with Ohero and the other with Superslick. Well... I hate being the bearer of bad news but... too bad for the Ohero - Superslick for the win. Ohero was really good line and I can't knock it, who knows - maybe my experience and opinion will change over time. It's a good product for what it is and I will be using it on one of my back up reels just not my primary rigs.
    I am glad you like the rod and the Super Slick.
  • kodiakzachkodiakzach Posts: 6,074 Admiral
    I normally use Tuf-Line XP braid, or normal Power Pro and have been able to spool up and fish for years (literally) without needing to change out the line.

However, I had a chance to fish with PP Super Slick on a friends new combo and was impressed with the casting distance. I was able to get 5-10 feet more per cast.

So I spooled up one of my Stradics with the Super Slick and fished daily with it for about a month. I am not happy. The teflon-like coating wears off after a few weeks of frequent casting.

As soon as the coating is gone, casting distance is gone too. I have also found that it is very easily frayed and then breaks with very little effort.

I WILL NOT be using Super Slick again. The whole experience has me wanting to buy a new spool of Tuf-line and ditch the PP altogether.
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,263 Captain
    I've been using RECoil guides for the better part of a decade with all varieties of spectra, and have seen no noticable wear from use with braided lines. They're on my tarpon rods, my jigging rods (77lb wahoo with 40lb hollow core), and my fly rods. The only negative post I've read about recoil guides was from a bass angler in Australia, and the guide he posted had a polished chrome finish (I have very serious doubts as to the authenticity of his claims). The only recoil I've ever had to replace on any of my rods broke while steelhead fishing when it was 15 degrees.
    We have seen a few come back with grooves. This was due to a bad guide. They are Titanium Nickel Alloy. If the composition is not correct, or they are not heat treated correctly, then it will be soft. Of the thousands of guides only seeing a few back is impressive.
    kodiakzach wrote: »
    I normally use Tuf-Line XP braid, or normal Power Pro and have been able to spool up and fish for years (literally) without needing to change out the line.

However, I had a chance to fish with PP Super Slick on a friends new combo and was impressed with the casting distance. I was able to get 5-10 feet more per cast.

So I spooled up one of my Stradics with the Super Slick and fished daily with it for about a month. I am not happy. The teflon-like coating wears off after a few weeks of frequent casting.

As soon as the coating is gone, casting distance is gone too. I have also found that it is very easily frayed and then breaks with very little effort.

I WILL NOT be using Super Slick again. The whole experience has me wanting to buy a new spool of Tuf-line and ditch the PP altogether.

There actually is minimal coating on the line. There is no teflon. We use 8 carriers to allow for less coating to reduce the noise of the line. If the line is fraying then you need to check your rod guides for signs of damage. The line will not fray unless there is something causing friction.
  • kodiakzachkodiakzach Posts: 6,074 Admiral
    bantam1 wrote: »
    There actually is minimal coating on the line. There is no teflon. We use 8 carriers to allow for less coating to reduce the noise of the line. If the line is fraying then you need to check your rod guides for signs of damage. The line will not fray unless there is something causing friction.

Whatever the coating, it wears off quickly and then the extra casting distance is gone. Read the reviews on it. It's not just me experiencing it. Also, yes I checked my guides the first time I noticed it fraying. No issues. Sadly for PP Slick, the only thing that changed was the line. What did NOT change was the locale, the rod/reel, or frequency of my fishing. Nope, the only thing that changed was the line... And as stated before -- Tuf-Line and original PP hold up a lot better than the new Super 8 Slick.

PS - when it broke I was bridge fishing so it's possible it might have barely rubbed the underside of the bridge railing. Regardless, it's the same place and fishin conditions where I've been using Tuf-Line and Original PP without issue for over 6 years now.
    As I said there is no coating on the line that makes it cast better. We went with minimal EBT and more carriers to add strength and shape. In my opinion Super Slick is best suited for low profile casting reels in freshwater applications. For spinning reels I think the standard Power Pro performs better. The EBT that we use on standard Power Pro also improves the abrasion resistance. No matter what braided line is not more abrasion resistant than mono. Smaller diameter means more chance the line will fail when knicked by something sharp.