Home General Paddle Craft

Walkie Talkies; 2 way radios

PitPit Posts: 7 Greenhorn
Does anyone use a pair of two way radios when fishing with a partner in a different kayak? Or maybe can point me in the direction of a site that offers reviews? Thanks...

Replies

• krashkrash Posts: 685 Officer
    Handheld VHF...
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • YaksquatchYaksquatch Posts: 499 Officer
    I agree, don't bother with the 2-packs of walki's. Most are not worth your time and can't handle saltwater. You need a Marine VHF that is AT LEAST submersible, even better if it floats or tie a piece of pool noodle to it. Be sure to read the manual and familiarize yourself with proper hailing etiquette as well as procedure to Mayday if it hits the fan!

Good luck,
    Alex
  • PitPit Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    I'm used to using a panel mount VHF in aircraft. Are there open freq's to use with the VHF? I'm used to FCC regulated channels. Sorry if that's a noob question, just never used a handheld for this reason.
    Thanks...
  • ruskinredneckruskinredneck Posts: 1,121 Officer
    I use a Garmin Rhino GPS/radio. It has a function that allows you to see where the other person is on the GPS. Very handy at the hunting camp also.
  • guido4198guido4198 Posts: 2,247 Captain
    Another SERIOUS vote for handheld marine VHF.
    To answer your question, I have used the inexpensive 2-ways. Also used the "message function" on cell phones.
    Scrap all that...go with a MARINE Handheld VHF. Get all you can afford. If you can go for the internal GPS so much the better. All this might seem like a bit of overkill...right up until YOU NEED IT, REAL BAD.
  • Lt.FireDogLt.FireDog Posts: 1,112 Officer
    Another yes for a handheld VHF! sHa_thumb2.gif
    My fishing partner and I both carry one, alot of the time we're fishing out of sight of each other (really important when fishing Jax'ville) on the hunt, when one get's in the fish the other is just a shout away....beats using a cell phone.
    I carry the Standard Horizon HX750S floating 6 watt. He carries a Icom M32.

STANDARD_HORIZON_HX750S.jpg
  • livebhaterlivebhater Posts: 62 Deckhand
    I 2nd the ICOM. Used to use it to listen to the weather reports while out to sea off of boyton/delray. Now I live in Ft Myers and I still carry it with me. A must have when things hit the fan...
  • HookedHooked Posts: 391 Officer
    I am tryin to save up for a Icom IC-M24 VHF but I might save some money and go with Cobra MR HH475.
  • YaksquatchYaksquatch Posts: 499 Officer
    Pit wrote: »
    I'm used to using a panel mount VHF in aircraft. Are there open freq's to use with the VHF? I'm used to FCC regulated channels. Sorry if that's a noob question, just never used a handheld for this reason.
    Thanks...

The US Coast Guard monitors marine VHF transmissions and have particular frequencies designated as distress only, hailing only, commercial vessels, open use, etc. Whatever VHF you settle on will have a detailed explanation in the instruction booklet as well as a list of frequencies and their designated uses. The basics are, use channel 16 ONLY for Hailing and/or Distress calls. Then switch to another to carry out a conversation. The local kayak fishing community up here in the Panhandle uses 71 and/or 72. Not sure what they use in your area.

Good luck,
    Alex
  • PitPit Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    Thanks for all the replies and the idea for the VHF. Sounds like the way to go. I don't really have a need for the wx side of things and have never needed to mayday (in a kayak at least). But I'll look into those...
  • Fireman BillFireman Bill Posts: 578 Officer
    handheld waterproof floating VHF radios is the only way to go. Buy a good one.

Fireman Bill