Skip to main content
Home Fly Fishing

Whats a good online site to buy tie materials??

plankton2plankton2 MemberPosts: 53 Deckhand
I need your help guy i really want in the fly tie scene, where should i buy material from. Personally would be better to have a website rather than a physical location.

Thanks much.

Replies

• Guitarshredder1Guitarshredder1 Senior Member Central FloridaPosts: 354 Officer
    I would use mudhole.com, or orlandooutfitters.com . I have never used Orlando Outfitters, but they have a much larger selection than Mudhole. Plus, both companies are based in Florida, so you are helping out local businesses (Mudhole still sells internationally, though).
    www.afrcustomtackle.zxq.net
    Custom Rods, Lures, and Flies

[email protected]
    407-913-4803 (Leave a message or text)
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Senior Member Posts: 2,422 Captain
    I would use mudhole.com

Mudhole has next to nothing in the way of fly tying supplies, and you would be supporting a company that peddles chinese blanks under the brand "American Tackle" (pretty low if you ask me). Bearsden.com or saltwateredge.com are two good sites with quality materials. For what it's worth, 3 local shops have closed their doors this month (threads have been posted on this forum). If possible, do your community a favor and shop local. You'll save on shipping, and it's always better to get your hands on the materials you use before you buy them.
  • Gladesman1Gladesman1 Member South FloridaPosts: 52 Deckhand
    The Fly Shop in Miami or Ole FL Fly Shop in Boca. Darren at OFFS has a great web site, and Dave is among the nicest and most knowledgeable fly guys you will ever meet. I live near TFSM so it is where I go most. MOST Saturday's noted Fly Tier Chris Dean is there and you can learn all the classics and get some help just by showing up. Worth the drive. Jorge who works there full time part time is a gifted artist and tier as well with many modern easy to tie slants on what works in FL.
  • Guitarshredder1Guitarshredder1 Senior Member Central FloridaPosts: 354 Officer
    Mudhole has next to nothing in the way of fly tying supplies, and you would be supporting a company that peddles chinese blanks under the brand "American Tackle" (pretty low if you ask me). Bearsden.com or saltwateredge.com are two good sites with quality materials. For what it's worth, 3 local shops have closed their doors this month (threads have been posted on this forum). If possible, do your community a favor and shop local. You'll save on shipping, and it's always better to get your hands on the materials you use before you buy them.

That's why I recommended Orlando Outfitters as well.
    www.afrcustomtackle.zxq.net
    Custom Rods, Lures, and Flies

[email protected]
    407-913-4803 (Leave a message or text)
  • shallowflyshallowfly Junior Member West Central FlPosts: 17 Greenhorn
    I would also recommend Andy Thornal Company in Winterhaven Florida. Their new web site rivals bass pro, pictures of everything and prices. If you need some suggestions just call and ask for Allen Wyatt he can help you pick out what you want for what you want to tie and mail it to you right from Winterhaven same day. Great people over there!
  • mbowersmbowers Senior Member Jupiter FLPosts: 499 Deckhand
    Bearsden.com or saltwateredge.com are two good sites with quality materials. If possible, do your community a favor and shop local. You'll save on shipping, and it's always better to get your hands on the materials you use before you buy them.

I've been happy with those two websites and favor saltwateredge.. I agree with the sentiment to buy local if possible. When it's an hour's drive to the nearest decent shop I feel forced to go mailorder. One more website that I've been reasonably happy with is hook and hackle: hookhack.com.
  • MistermtdMistermtd Member Steinhatchee Posts: 76 Greenhorn
    There are tons of places to get stuff. I 100% agree with supporting your local shop as best you can to the degree that when I travel I visit local shops and buy from them. Not really having a local shop, I do wind up buying most of my materials on-line.

Here is a thread on flytyer that lists a ton of references.

Fly Tyers Dungeon has some great deals.

Bob Lemay turned me on to a place for good feathers last week - http://www.cascadecrest.com Buying feathers on line is often a hit or miss proposition. Haven't bought here yet, but if Bob's happy with them then I'm sure I will be.

I bumped into this place for eyes last week. These used to show up in hobby stores and have disappeared lately.

Some of the ones mentioned here are new to me so I'll have to look into them. I've used H&H, feather-craft, Bob Marriots, Red Truck, FT Dungeon and a few others. They've all been fine to do business with.
  • jack001jack001 Junior Member Saint Augustine. FLPosts: 13 Deckhand
    Try Saltwater FlyTyers http://www.saltwaterflytyers.com/
    Great selection, Owner Don Reed is fly Tyer himself and he can help you choose your material.
    He has help me a lot on material selection.