Home Angler On Foot

New to beach fishing. Caught a few at longboat key

Gray8188Gray8188 Posts: 24 Greenhorn
Went there over the weekend hoping to catch some snook but was only able to catch some lady fish. A few were decent size but not what I was hoping for. Was using an array of mirrodines top water and a few suspending ones.
I'm kinda new to beach fishing, have done mostly freshwater fishing practically my whole life. And now I'm trying to get more into salt water fishing. I don't have a boat yet, so will be doing my fishing by foot. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. I live in new Tampa and am trying to find places around Clearwater, St Pete area. But looking forward to reading alot and learning from this forum.

Replies

• dtobiasdtobias Posts: 733 Officer
    Just put in your time. I throw jig and plastic combos, buctail jigs and a variety of hard plugs like the Mirrodine. You'll get one. Pay attention to the tide. I prefer the higher stages and just after the turn at the top. It puts more water up closer to the shorebreak. If there is water in the first trough, don't cast out as far as you can. Most of the fish are following the bait and pushing them up tight. I usually throw 30- 45 degrees which keeps your bait in the strike zone longer. Natural colors work, but you can't go wrong with white or glow when fishing the beach. Good luck out there.
  • Gray8188Gray8188 Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the tips I appreciate it. Last time I went it was low tide had to walk out 20ft to be in shin deep water. I will fish the higher tide next time and hopefully I will have better luck. Any other good beaches around for snook?
  • Homer47Homer47 Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    Used to fish Tampa Bay a lot. A few good spots you might like to try are Picnic Island, Gandy causeway on the west side, and Riviera Bay(go south off Gandy at the dog track).Used to get a lot of speckled trout,ladyfish, and a few snook wading in those spots. I was flyfishing, but Mirrodines(they were Mirrolures back then) should be just fine. You might also try a topwater like the Zaraspook, in a medium size and in blue and silver,yellow and silver, or red head white body. Watch out for stingrays!
  • Lunch Money SurfLunch Money Surf Posts: 1,033 Officer
    Two pointers:

1 - Get a beach cart or small over-the-shoulder tackle bag. Preferably both... the cart for multiple rod and/or live bait fishing so you can tote all your gear down in one trip... the tackle bag for surfstalking with one rod and artificials... for what it's worth, I've got a Fish-N-Mate beach cart, and an AquaSkinz Small Tall bag, but there are other brands out there

2 - Go to the beach and fish a lot... lol this is the easy part...
    Thank for the tips guys. I have a few surf rods I need to get a cart or bag but unfortunately I drive a 350z so a cart is out of the question lol. I wish I still had my truck still. But I plan on buying a fin nor 9500 in the next couple months and a nice surf rod for some bigger game, sharks stuff like that.
    Homer47 wrote: »
    Used to fish Tampa Bay a lot. A few good spots you might like to try are Picnic Island, Gandy causeway on the west side, and Riviera Bay(go south off Gandy at the dog track).Used to get a lot of speckled trout,ladyfish, and a few snook wading in those spots. I was flyfishing, but Mirrodines(they were Mirrolures back then) should be just fine. You might also try a topwater like the Zaraspook, in a medium size and in blue and silver,yellow and silver, or red head white body. Watch out for stingrays!
    I know exactly where those spots are I will give them a try. Thanks, and I have a bunch of the mirrolures and I'll pick up a few of the Zaraspooks. And I have a fly Rod but it's a 5wt for bass and blue gill. I need to get a bigger one.
  • Lunch Money SurfLunch Money Surf Posts: 1,033 Officer
    3 - Get rid of the little sports car and buy a truck

:)
    3 - Get rid of the little sports car and buy a truck

:)

Lol I plan on it. I drive alot and needed something better on gas so I sold my mustang which I really regret and dodge ram and I got this to hold me over until I'm done with school.
  • Austins26Austins26 Posts: 1,989 Captain
    a 350z ain't exactly sippin gas :rotflmao

all the spots mentioned will help you catch fish as will Safety Harbor, CCC south side after the smaller clearwater bridge, 4th Street flats, Honeymoon Island, Dunedin Causeway, all the area close to Fort Desoto, Cypress Park (in Tampa), etc etc etc list goes on an on

there are some guys here that specialize in wade slaying fish all the area list do not require a boat

but a pair of dive booties an you'll be all set ($25-30.00) rocks, glass, goodness knows what you'll be glad you did cheaper than trip to the ER
    The Original HOTD poster
    680k views 360 plus posts Deleted by a so called Mod over a little cleavage

member since Oct 1998 long before most of You
    Austins26 wrote: »
    a 350z ain't exactly sippin gas :rotflmao

all the spot mentioned will help you catch fish as will Safety Harbor, CCC south side after the smaller clearwater bridge, 4th Street flats, Honeymoon Island, Dunedin Causeway, all the area close to Fort Desoto, Cypress Park (in Tampa), etc etc etc list goes on an on

there are some guys here that specialize in wade slaying fish all the area list do not require a boat

but a pair of dive booties an you'll be all set ($25-30.00) rocks, glass, goodness knows what you'll be glad you did cheaper than trip to the ER

Lol the z is better then my truck (5.7 quad cab 4x4 on 35's) and a modded mustang with a big rear gear. I was lucky to get little better then 12mpg in town with either lol.
    And thanks I'll check those places out I've heard good things about honeymoon island/Dunedin area. And good call on the dive boots I've got some I used for jet skiing I'll put those to work.
  • fishingkid315fishingkid315 Posts: 1,953 Captain
    Lady fish is great bait for redfish!!
    Sarasota,Fl 
    Fishing, Photography, Life
  • Indian River JoelIndian River Joel Posts: 362 Officer
    PM me if youre interested in some really good wading spots for snook. I can give you a few really good spots in St. Pete
    "Indian River" Joel
    www.wadefishingflorida.com
    321-402-9881