Yellowtail Closure

Southeast Fishery Bulletin National Marine Fisheries Service, Southeast Regional Office, 263 13th Avenue South, St. Petersburg, Florida 33701
FOR INFORMATION CONTACT: August 29, 2012
727-824-5305, FAX 727-824-5308
FB12-063
NOAA Fisheries Announces Closure Dates for the Commercial Harvest of the Deepwater Complex, the Porgy Complex, Gray Triggerfish, and Yellowtail Snapper in the South Atlantic
The commercial harvest of the deepwater complex and the porgy complex will close, effective 12:01 a.m. (local time) September 8, 2012, through 12:01 a.m. January 1, 2013. The commercial harvest of gray triggerfish and yellowtail snapper will close, effective 12:01 a.m. (local time) September 11, 2012, through 12:01 a.m. January 1, 2013. Updated landings data indicate that commercial harvest of these species and species complexes will likely meet the respective annual catch limits established by the South Atlantic Fishery Management Council-approved Snapper- Grouper Fishery Management Plan by these dates. As a result, commercial harvest will be closed in federal waters of the South Atlantic.
The operator of a vessel that has been issued a federal commercial permit for snapper-grouper and that is landing deepwater complex species and/or porgy complex species for sale must have landed and bartered, traded, or sold such fish prior to 12:01 a.m., local time, September 8, 2012. The operator of a vessel that has been issued a federal commercial permit for snapper-grouper and that is landing gray triggerfish and/or yellowtail snapper for sale must have landed and bartered, traded, or sold such fish prior to 12:01 a.m., local time, September 11, 2012.
During the closure, all harvest and possession of the deepwater complex species, gray triggerfish, porgy complex species, and yellowtail snapper in or from closed federal waters of the South Atlantic is subject to the applicable bag and possession limits, and the sale or purchase of fish taken from closed federal waters is prohibited. For a vessel for which a valid federal commercial or charter vessel/headboat permit for South Atlantic snapper- grouper has been issued, bag and possession limits, and the prohibition on sale or purchase, apply in state and federal waters.

Complex
Species

Deepwater
Yellowedge grouper, blueline tilefish, silk snapper, misty grouper, queen snapper, sand tilefish, black snapper, blackfin snapper

Gray triggerfish
Gray triggerfish

Porgy
Jolthead, knobbed, saucereye, whitebone, scup

Yellowtail snapper
Yellowtail snapper
Table 1. Snapper-Grouper species in the South Atlantic, which will close to commercial harvest.

Replies

• CaptHeavyCaptHeavy Posts: 717 Officer
    whoa
    Lady Mitchell, Haulover
    600211_10200798788204965_398630343_n.jpg
    www.CaptainHeavy.com
    Instagram: @captheavy
  • Conch27Conch27 Posts: 218 Officer
    uuuuuhhh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • copout@castaways[email protected] Posts: 5,779 Admiral
    wait,, what?
    I only see where it applies to commercial no mention of recreational.
  • Reef BanditReef Bandit Posts: 997 Officer
    Here's what's going to happen. The comml guys are going to scream bloody murder (and I can't blame them) that they aren't allowed to fish yet the rec guys can so Crabtree will also take it away from the rec's. Thus, he gets exactly what he wants.... us all to not keep fish. This is also the guy behind the "we opened red snapper in the atlantic". Yea, he opened it alright, and let us keep a whopping 1 fish per person. But wait, in his generosity, he made it so that there is no size limit so those of you that would like to keep a 1 lb snapper now have approval. This guy Crabtree has got to go or we'll all be watching bass fishing on Sat morning instead of fishing ourselves.

Hammer
    yes, one fish any size for two weekends, oh so thoughtful!
  • lowe-boylowe-boy Posts: 1,217 Officer
    Muttonman, can you chime and advise?
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
  • SFCarlSFCarl Posts: 300 Officer
    Who cares its only commercial ahahaha
  • captrvcaptrv Posts: 146 Officer
    Gill, you sell the boat?
  • Lucky27Lucky27 Posts: 34 Deckhand
    No. The boat is going back to SeaVee, in trade, in a couple of weeks. They have already started on the new boat so the approximate finish time is around November. .
  • captrvcaptrv Posts: 146 Officer
    give me a shout and we'll do a shake down. what power did you decide on?
  • Lucky27Lucky27 Posts: 34 Deckhand
    Cummins 425 Intermittent Duty Engine. The motor is rated for 1500 hours a year. I'm tired of replacing boats and motors so I'm keeping this one for a while. Lots of custom stuff being done. I will have close to 300 gallons of wells available if I want it. Like I said lots of cutom stuff.
  • HialeahAnglerHialeahAngler Posts: 9,612 Admiral
    all we need now is a mutton closure.
    friedpeacocks.jpg
  • lowe-boylowe-boy Posts: 1,217 Officer
    all we need now is a mutton closure.

Or MuttonMan closure?
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
  • BobbyhernandezBobbyhernandez Posts: 131 Officer
    Going to have take up Golf. Too many rule and regulations.
  • ultraplayer26ultraplayer26 Posts: 814 Officer
    I believe it only applies to commercial fisherman
  • rossewagerossewage Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    Just read an article in the Miami Herald about this. There is a recent report showing that yellowtail populations are doing just fine, so there is a meeting scheduled for NOAA in Charleston sometime later this month to discuss removing Yellowtail from the closure if the population supports it.
    http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/09/05/2984660/commercial-harvest-of-yellowtail.html
  • doctodddoctodd Posts: 84 Deckhand
    YT quota of 1 million pounds reached in atlantic waters. Gulf quota at 800,000 lbs so far.