Passport required for kids ???

VenturesomeVenturesome Posts: 1,743 Officer
Does a 13 year old need passport, or will birth certificate do ?? thanks in advance.
2392.jpg

Replies

• halebophalebop Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Yes everyone needs a passport now, also if not your child you have to have a letter from both parents explaining why he is with you if no legal guardian is with you. Also have copies of health insurance card for minor child.
  • IdlewildeIdlewilde Posts: 1,357 Officer
    Does a 13 year old need passport, or will birth certificate do ?? thanks in advance.

For what?

If you mean to travel outside of the USA, every human being other than a baby in arms needs a passport to enter a foreign country as well as to get back into the US. And both parents need to accompany the child - otherwise other regulations apply.
  • myjackmyjack Posts: 232 Officer
    We are cruising next week to Bahamas with my 4 and 14 yr olds. The 14 yr. old was from a prev. marriage.
    Disney explained my daughter did not need one because both of our names are on the BC. My son is a different story, shows his mom (my x).
    We decided it was just best to get them both done... Birth certificates will work, but both parent names have to match. To keep children leaving the country without both parents consent, they enforce the non-custodial parent to submit a notorized form that they allow the submission of the childs Passport.
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,662 Captain
    No passport no return to US.

• CompleatCompleat Posts: 2,774 Captain
    While clearing back in (Immigration part where you show up) a few years ago I watched an officer absolutely rip into a guy returning with a 4yo or so off a sailboat. I mean the officer went off! Threatening prison and fines and stuff. Finally did clear the guy in but not without a ton of drama... My daughter has had a passport since 9 mos old...
  • C Skip RC Skip R Posts: 129 Deckhand
    Definitely get her a passport. You might get lucky getting into the bahamas but returning into the US will be a serious problem.
  • WynWyn Posts: 53 Greenhorn
    You can go to OBB w/o a passport, just birth certificate. They will clear you. Coming back to US could be the problem. You get a different answer for every CBP agent you talk to. Ultimately if you are a US citizen you will get back in the US. The last CBP agent I talked to said if you are on a vessel arriving in US you can clear w/o a passport and a birth certificate will be sufficent.
  • IdlewildeIdlewilde Posts: 1,357 Officer
    alacrity wrote: »
    No passport no return to US.

That's absolutely bull sheet, and anyone who believes that would be a fool. :kick
  • Sails and TalesSails and Tales Posts: 152 Deckhand
    Venturesome, my brother's kids (15 and 13 yr old) have cleared 3 times in the last 12 months in West End without a passport, birth certificate only. And no drama clearing back in to the US.
  • Sails and TalesSails and Tales Posts: 152 Deckhand
    Cytranic wrote: »
    I find that hard to believe. I cleared my wife and kid a few months ago and had to drive down to customs. Someone was getting there *** chewed out because all they had was a birth certificate. Started threatening the boat owner with a fine.

Obviously it depends on which officer you get. Maybe we've been lucky three times, but I doubt it. Fact is the boat owner (me) has LBO. Received clearance number on the phone upon arrival at dock. Brother and nephews as passengers have cleared the next day in person each time. No hassle, no issue.