Thursday report: Dania - Lauderdale Beach speed drift

mapachemapache Posts: 262 Officer
I made a spur-of-the-moment trip yesterday from Dania when I saw that the wind was finally looking good. The water was still turbid - I kept paddling east in search of that clear tuna water, but as far out as 4 miles it was still silty, though blue. I saw some pods of little tunny busting on top from 1-4 miles out, and I jigged up a nice king mackerel (made great sashimi) in the green water at about 100+ feet.

The current was really ripping - 3 miles out, my GPS was reading 5mph north. To get back to my car I had to paddle 8 miles along the beach from Oakland Park Blvd to the Dania Pier. The current was negligible within 100 meters of the shore.

I saw someone suggest a Dania to Pompano drift on this forum a while ago - now would be a good time to get this done, since it would only take about 4 hours, less if you only count the time you would have on the ledge.

Replies

• 1OzLead1OzLead Posts: 352 Officer
    Congrats on your catch and thanks for the report. That drift was fast!
  • meckertmeckert Posts: 76 Deckhand
    Brutal... I went off Pompano on Thursday and everything looked good from the beach but once i got about a mile out the current was pulling hard to the North. I gave up quickly which was to bad b/c i loaded up on live Pilchards that were getting washed up on the beach. Oh well...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,298 Moderator
    Went to Pompano today, the current was still very strong. We were being taken north at no less than 3mph. Probably same story at Dania, and going to be more of the same tomorrow. Be careful out there guys.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • Captain YakCaptain Yak Posts: 679 Officer
    jcanracer wrote: »
    Went to Pompano today, the current was still very strong. We were being taken north at no less than 3mph. Probably same story at Dania, and going to be more of the same tomorrow. Be careful out there guys.

Did you notice any bait on the beach??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If you don't lose, you will eventually win.
    - Helio Gracie

Links:
    YouTube - SoFlo Kayak Fishing
    Valente Brother's Jiu-Jitsu Fort Lauderdale
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,298 Moderator
    not on the beach but i think we passed through a school of bait maybe 100-200 yards from shore
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • mapachemapache Posts: 262 Officer
    I saw a school of 8-12" mullet in the surf at Dania the other day. Horse-eye jacks were chasing something smaller.
  • Jkamensky80Jkamensky80 Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    You gotta do what my buddy Eric and i have been doing. You go in pairs and one truck gets left at Dania or Fort Lauderdale beach and the other one gets parked at Commercial or Atlantic. This way you can enjoy your drift and not have to go crazy getting back to your drop spot.