Skip to main content
Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

08-31-12 Boynton 40lb Wahoo

Me and a co-worker headed straight to the ramps at 6:00am after getting off work. After talking to a few friends and Billy from Lori Jo's fishing the night before, we knew we had to troll for Wahoo first thing... Started trolling NE from 120ft to 250ft as soon as I could see light. Had a wire line with a planer attached to a purple islander with a ballyhoo, a bentbutt setup pulling a TB2 lure with a 32oz lead. Outriggers were pulling two surface baits, both wired ballyhoo, one with a purple mini turbo slammer and the other with a plain pink skirt. Before the sun peeked out, around 7:10am just north of the Ritz Carlton in 135ft the outrigger pops with the pink skirt..And the reel starts dumping.. Hard.. Of course it's the TLD25, one of the smaller reels I have set up.. With no end in sight, I see the spool getting thin, we decide to chase the fish a little... We chased him down and reeled him next to the boat for a nice gaff shot. Brought the hoo aboard and weight him with a handheld electronic scale. With the boat bouncing and the slippery deck 40lbs was what the scale averaged..
We reset and got another hit minutes later in the same area about 160ft, and again on the surface bait, this time it was the mini turbo slammer.. And the spool was dumping... and dumping.. We were just about to start chasing this one when I felt the rod go soft.. It felt like the fish took a run toward the boat and slacked the line and bit it off because the line was chewed.. Even with the boat in gear, those hoo's burst speeds are amazing.. After that one we decided to try and relax and bottom fish but it was not happening, so we headed in..
The water is very dirty. Current is around 1.5 to 2mph. All strikes were on surface baits headed SW against the current near the Ritz Carlton. I had boney strips but opted for the ballyhoo because of the larger bait being more visible in the dirty water... Lots of scattered weed out there too. Seas under 2ft, light east wind.
Hope this helps anyone looking to go out this weekend.. Good luck to all..

Replies