Favorite trail cam....?

wetley49wetley49 Posts: 107 Officer
I bought a Spypoint IR5 and I really don't like it. The pics at night suck unless the deer is less than 3feet away. I have the cam in the backyard and yesterday I watched a doe from the living room wear out a salt block and the stupid camera didn't get one pic of it. What are you guys using? My brother in law says the Bushnell cameras at wally world work pretty well. Any suggestions? I'd like to keep the cost under $150.

Replies

• flydownflydown Posts: 6,464 Admiral
    The tyranny of the trail cam. Most are poorly made. Some are better than others, but for the most part, they are unreliable at best until you get in the Reconyx price range.

I know many have had great luck with the Bushnell Trophy cam, and you can find them on Ebay for around $140 or so.
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do
  • ReaperReaper Posts: 486 Officer
    truthcam 35 80 bucks
    tumblr_lesrrtx1Hc1qe0eclo1_r1_500.gif
  • BowtechGen3BowtechGen3 Altoona, FlPosts: 774 Officer
    I've got a couple of Moultrie D55's Flash that I think are a good for the price. I have a couple of them that have a few thousand pics on and they are still ticking along. But I just got a Bushnell Trophy Cam HD and so far so good the videos are phenomenal imo
    Director - Central Florida Dog Hunters & Sportsmans Association
    https://www.facebook.com/CFDHSA

1461718pb77ew55q8.gif
  • Bowd upBowd up Posts: 1,115 Officer
    Look back thru recent posts , I posted pics from a moultrie IR60 that are 119$ at academy. we bought 2 and also a Primos truthcam 45 at the same time that was the same price , just to compare. Moultrie is WAY WAY better on pic quality. awesome deal for the money.
    ]
  • Bass2bucksBass2bucks Posts: 653 Officer
  • FLherritageFLherritage Posts: 218 Deckhand
    reconx and cuddeback are overpriced. you need to spend around a $100-$150 for a quality camera. Ive had good luck with IR Moultries. Basspro has d55ir for $99 on sale now. also saw moultrie mx80 online for $119. both of these are as good as the $400 ones.
  • down4dacountdown4dacount Posts: 2,583 Captain
    RayCam has never failed me :grin but it's gas expensive
    ShotKam Pro Staff
    Full moons make me crazy and I go out and kill deer . Come to think all moon phases do that to me
    Check out my videos http://www.youtube.com/user/Down4dacount1?feature=mhee
    [IMG][/img]
  • doghunterdoghunter Posts: 401 Deckhand
    Ive got 2 primos 35's, a wildgame, a scoutguard and a Bushnell. By far I like the Bushnell the best. Great pics and as reliable as can be expected, and a 2 year warranty. Natchez usually has last years model for about $139The Scoutguard is as good as the Bushnell, but requires you to have the remote to change anything. The primos take great day pics, but aren't lit well at night, and they don't trigger reliably.
  • awFSUducksawFSUducks Posts: 255 Officer
    i hate wildgame innovations
  • proline23proline23 Posts: 145 Officer
    Moultrie M80 i got last year works great and pictures are clear . Forget rice but i think it was about $100.
  • bassmanbassman Posts: 264 Officer
    Got several Bushnell Trophy Cams (IR), one Moultrie M-80 (IR), and one Moultrie M-80 Black (basically the M-80XT with no glow IR black out). Bushnell was $200 at the time (its 2+ years old), M-80 was $130, and I think the M-80 Black was $150.

The Bushnells are my favorite. Great pictures, short delay between photos, amazing range to catch movement, and long battery life. The new Moultries produce nice photos too and can take video with audio. For Joe Hunter, I doubt the black out IR on the moultrie M-80 BLK is worth the price for strictly game pics...we got it to put on the property and catch trespassers since the red glow of the IR is noticeable at night.
  • Details1976Details1976 Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    I purchased 3 older Stealth Cams off of ebay that's working condition was unknown for $25 which included shipping. I contacted Stealth Cam just prior to the purchase to confirm that they could be repaired if they did not work. I was told that you can buy refurbished cameras directly through their company for less than half of what they cost new and they come with a 3 month warrantee. You can extend the warrantee out to 1 year for an additional $20. If you already have one of their cameras that is not working and return it to them as a trade in, the cost of their refurbished cameras drops even more.

Of the 3 cameras I purchased off of ebay, 2 of the 3 did not work so I returned those 2 and using their trade in program, purchased 2 Stealth Cam Nomad IR cameras which are 5.0 megapixel with the infrared technology. These cameras are about $175 each new, but I ended up paying about $60 for 2 of them shipped. They are refurbished, but again come with a 3 month warrantee. I did not extend the warrantee on the cameras at $20 each because if something goes wrong after the 3 months it's roughly $30 for another camera with that trade in. So, for less than half the cost of a new camera, I purchased 3.

As far as performance, the picture quality is excellent! As far as how they work in the field, I let you know in a few hours after I go check them!
  • BowtechGen3BowtechGen3 Altoona, FlPosts: 774 Officer
    I purchased 3 older Stealth Cams off of ebay that's working condition was unknown for $25 which included shipping. I contacted Stealth Cam just prior to the purchase to confirm that they could be repaired if they did not work. I was told that you can buy refurbished cameras directly through their company for less than half of what they cost new and they come with a 3 month warrantee. You can extend the warrantee out to 1 year for an additional $20. If you already have one of their cameras that is not working and return it to them as a trade in, the cost of their refurbished cameras drops even more.

Of the 3 cameras I purchased off of ebay, 2 of the 3 did not work so I returned those 2 and using their trade in program, purchased 2 Stealth Cam Nomad IR cameras which are 5.0 megapixel with the infrared technology. These cameras are about $175 each new, but I ended up paying about $60 for 2 of them shipped. They are refurbished, but again come with a 3 month warrantee. I did not extend the warrantee on the cameras at $20 each because if something goes wrong after the 3 months it's roughly $30 for another camera with that trade in. So, for less than half the cost of a new camera, I purchased 3.

As far as performance, the picture quality is excellent! As far as how they work in the field, I let you know in a few hours after I go check them!

Moultrie has a similar program that I have used. It can sure save some $$$ that way
    Director - Central Florida Dog Hunters & Sportsmans Association
    https://www.facebook.com/CFDHSA

1461718pb77ew55q8.gif
  • Details1976Details1976 Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    Stealth Cam Nomad IR pics
    SUNP0026.jpg
    SUNP0018.jpg
  • mrbillmrbill Posts: 1,175 Officer
    good pic's !!! a little spike and coons