tires,rant and corp biz

First,this is i'm sure a "would ya like some cheese with that whine" kind of thread but,anyways.....i hit Sams on Saturday to buy tires and of course they are special order and will take "5-7 buisness days not including weekends!" ok,ordering and shipping does take time so.....now knowing that Stingwrays tires were there days before he was contacted and by seeing them and the ticket on them and our UGA game traveling time commencing i decide to call and check on my order this thurs evening....first words were"special order tires take 5-7 buisness days not including weekends" and they are not in....ok,can ya check on that please? 15seconds of hold time and nope,they are not in....OK..

i'm done with trying to save a few bucks and going with service oriented small busines that have treated me well over the years.....peace of mind isn't all that expensive....

Replies

• BigfootBigfoot Posts: 9,383 Admiral
    First,this is i'm sure a "would ya like some cheese with that whine" kind of thread but,anyways.....i hit Sams on Saturday to buy tires and of course they are special order and will take "5-7 buisness days not including weekends!" ok,ordering and shipping does take time so.....now knowing that Stingwrays tires were there days before he was contacted and by seeing them and the ticket on them and our UGA game traveling time commencing i decide to call and check on my order this thurs evening....first words were"special order tires take 5-7 buisness days not including weekends" and they are not in....ok,can ya check on that please? 15seconds of hold time and nope,they are not in....OK..

i'm done with trying to save a few bucks and going with service oriented small busines that have treated me well over the years.....peace of mind isn't all that expensive....

This...
    Sometimes the nicest people you meet are covered in tattoos & sometimes the most judgmental people you meet go to church on Sundays...
  • BeckBeck Posts: 2,332 Captain

If you are headed to Athens, go by Porterfield tire. They stock almost everything or can have it with a days notice. They are the cheapest tires in the state. Every set of tires I have bought in the last 15 years on my work truck or personal have come from them......including the set of Firestone Destination A/T I just put on the Armada a few weeks ago. Porterfield beat everyone by $200, and SAMs by $300.

Phone.....tel: (706) 549-6698 It's a huge shop and they will make an appointment. In and out in 45 minutes.

www.porterfieldtireinc.com
  • BigfootBigfoot Posts: 9,383 Admiral
    Our small town Tire Biz was so good at service, they now are all over the ATL...Kaufman Tire. Campbell Tire the old Alpharetta store has been bought and refuses to carry Michelins (or cannot get em), so switched to Kaufman which opened up the street - so far so great!

Paul, isn't Cleve's the place in Agony???
    Sometimes the nicest people you meet are covered in tattoos & sometimes the most judgmental people you meet go to church on Sundays...
  • seabiscuitseabiscuit Posts: 1,022 Officer
    Same here in Fort Worth. Small tire company - Fort Worth Tire. Two dudes wearing Dickie overalls. Super nice, fast and cheap. So much better than those crappy big box retailers like Sam's. They asked to replace my Bridgestone Duelers in another 10k miles after a rotation a few days ago. I don't care if it is a little more expensive. Know it will be done right and supporting a small biz...
  • reel estatereel estate Posts: 1,402 Officer
    Bigfoot wrote: »
    Paul, isn't Cleve's the place in Agony???

to be honest i've only associated Cleves with Cooper tire,and i've never had a complaint.......Gieryics and his guys get my biz,small town guy with excellent service....the guys will text me when completed..
  • StonewallStonewall Posts: 848 Officer
    Beck wrote: »
    If you are headed to Athens, go by Porterfield tire. They stock almost everything or can have it with a days notice. They are the cheapest tires in the state. Every set of tires I have bought in the last 15 years on my work truck or personal have come from them......including the set of Firestone Destination A/T I just put on the Armada a few weeks ago. Porterfield beat everyone by $200, and SAMs by $300.

Phone.....tel: (706) 549-6698 It's a huge shop and they will make an appointment. In and out in 45 minutes.

www.porterfieldtireinc.com

What he said. They do all of my vehicles, including my larger commercial trucks and my skid loaders.

A lot of the smaller tire shops get there tires from Porterfield and mark them up.
    Can't never did try!