Do you tip the guide?

2»

Replies

• huntmstrhuntmstr Posts: 6,285 Admiral
    Originally Posted by awFSUducks
    The entire idea of tipping a waiter because he served you your food is preposterous. Europe along with many other regions around the world have it right. Waiters are paid a reasonable wage and tipping is not expected and is even considered insulting in many areas.

Right. If that's what you want, then expect to start paying double for your food with seriously lousy service. Cut out tipping and increase food prices and that's what you get.

Those of you who don't believe in tipping obviously never had a job catering to people's desires. Spend a month waiting on people in any capacity and see if your tune doesn't change. Doorman, bellhop, waiter, guide, mate, it makes no difference. Any time you have a service job and cater to an individual's needs, inevitably you run into those who feel they own you. I urge everyone to take a job in one of those fields and see if your outlook on tipping doesn't change.
    Bushnell, Primos and Final Approach Pro Staff. Proud member of the Fab Five, Big Leaugers and Bobble Head 4.

I had you pissed off at hello.
  • Austins26Austins26 Posts: 1,989 Captain
    Hunt been there done and still do it In essence we all (or most of Us) work for someone else in some capacity or another :funnypost

Like I said before this is a issue for some more than others
    The Original HOTD poster
    680k views 360 plus posts Deleted by a so called Mod over a little cleavage

member since Oct 1998 long before most of You
    Obviously you have it all figured out.:blowkiss
    Bushnell, Primos and Final Approach Pro Staff. Proud member of the Fab Five, Big Leaugers and Bobble Head 4.

• binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 7,939 Admiral
    When I was a kid I carried a Pro Am's golf clubs the whole friggin bag crammed full of ****...for 18 holes. He kept telling me how his "trusty"putter never let him down,and dam what a putt....real obnoxious guy,but nevertheless I schlept his clubs for 5 hrs.At the turn he didn't even offer to buy me a hot dog.

So we get to the clubhouse,the valet goes for his car,and he hands me the minimum plus a 1 dollar tip!! He handed the guy 5 bucks to leave his jaguar in the front while he went into the clubhouse to retrieve his duffel bag.

We'll me being VERY pissed off,because at the very least you got 20 bucks at these pro am's caddying for the golfers ..i got real mad,and decided to take that "trusty putter" and make a steering wheel lock out of it.

My mom got a call later that day from the Eagle Trace club pro,who after hearing the story called me in to hand me a 20...Moral of the story,tip your caddie.
  • RexLanRexLan Posts: 868 Officer
    The difficulty with huntmstr is he seems of the opinion that everyone owes him something beyond his fee and he's pretty thin skinned about it. He accused me of attacking him in my first post when all I did was point out the contradiction between the fee and the need for a tip to enhance the fee. In example it is like any of us going to our job and telling our employer that we don't have to put up with their crap, but we will, and we will do just enough to get by in our job, unless we are going to get a bonus ... LOL Yea, that would work all right. Not a problem however. I see it as the same situation.

"Hunting Guides" (Charter fishing captains are another matter) in Florida are not regulated, tested, per-qualified, or licensed. In Alaska (and likely most states) to be a "guide" is a very long and difficult task taking more than 10 years to qualify, AND having a proven up area to hunt in. So what huntmstr is calling a "guide" is really an individual with possibly a business license and as he points out, if on navigable water a boat captains license.

However, this is not to discount what these folks provide as they certainly may have special knowledge, areas and skills that will make or break the clients trip . But to expect a tip (or be disappointed after they busted their **** and do not get one) is ridiculous. Ultimately the client should do what he/she feel they want to do.
    Port Charlotte, Florida
    In Alaska (and likely most states) to be a "guide" is a very long and difficult task taking more than 10 years to qualify, AND having a proven up area to hunt in.

This tells me all I need to know about where and how your point of view was developed. Contrary to what you think you know, most states DO NOT require much if any regulation over hunting guides. You would know this if you spent any time traveling and hunting with various outfitters across the country. Instead, you choose to apply what little you know about guides and outfitters and apply it universally to all businesses offering hunting services.

Just to make it simple, an Outfitter is a business or business owner that provides a hunting service, either on public or private lands, and who may or may not provide lodging and food. A Guide is someone who takes his clients hunting in consideration for a fee. He may work independently of or in conjunction with an outfitter, or he himself could be an outfitter if he provides both the hunting service and takes the customer out for the experience himself.

You keep accusing me of expecting a tip, when what I said in my original post was that tipping was CUSTOMARY and I gave suggestions on how to price a tip according to the price & duration of the hunt. I also said that I personally tip every time I use a guide or outfitter. About the only thing I agree with (which is all you needed to say in the first place) is...
    RexLan wrote: »
    Ultimately the client should do what he/she feel they want to do.

For all your ranting, besmirching hunting guides and impugning my intentions, even after all that inflammatory BS, you end up saying the one thing Capt. Mark summed up in a single sentence.

It's pretty simple.....if you think he deserves it then yes......if not then no......how easy was that!!!!!

BTW Mark, thanks for letting me use the compressor this weekend. I'll be bringing you a little something as a way to say thank you for the help.

• Lc-hunter86Lc-hunter86 Posts: 2,927 Captain
    I make it simple...I guide myself ;)
  • mrbillmrbill Posts: 1,175 Officer
    Cool Thomas what do you tip your self if its a good hunt !!! :crowd
    mrbill wrote: »
    Cool Thomas what do you tip your self if its a good hunt !!! :crowd

An ice cold Coors light, some juicy back strap and a piece of ****! :grin:thumbsup
  • mrbillmrbill Posts: 1,175 Officer
    :rotflmao :dance
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,033 Admiral
    a piece of ****! :grin:thumbsup
    It's your deer.... Mount it any way you want:blowkiss
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    Lmao ya ya...u got me there :beer
  • aboveboredabovebored Posts: 1,236 Officer
    [QUOTE=huntmstr;90160 I don't expect a tip, but it is customary to receive one .[/QUOTE]

=oxymoronic statement
  • james 14james 14 Posts: 2,875 Moderator
    An ice cold Coors light, some juicy back strap and a piece of ****! :grin:thumbsup

That's what I call "full service"!
    abovebored wrote: »
    =oxymoronic statement

You better look up oxymoron. It means a contradictory statement. My statement was not contradictory.

Had I said I don't expect a tip, but I expect to get one, that would be oxymoronic.

The statement I made: "I don't expect a tip, but it's customary to receive one." That is the same as saying I don't expect a gratuity from my customers to but most of them tip me anyway. It's not a contradiction...not even close. If anything, it's ironic.

• Derek ArsuaDerek Arsua Posts: 2,474 Officer
    Lol wow there are some very strong thick headed cheap members here. It actually dosn't a whole lot to run a 30' charter boat offshore for a day atleast nowhere near $1200-$2000 but what does cost money is yes the fuel and tackle slip fee mainly marinas are thieves when it come to that but a boat license is not cheap insurance is not cheap and up keep on the boats are not cheap plus fishing in Florida is or can. Be seasonal so they have to make there money when and where they can. I did not take the job as a full time mate when I graduated high school because of that so yes tip your mate/guide something atleast 10-15% and more if you feel they deserve it
  • down4dacountdown4dacount Posts: 2,583 Captain
    Here's a tip if you need a good turkey guide call Chuck .
    ShotKam Pro Staff
    Full moons make me crazy and I go out and kill deer . Come to think all moon phases do that to me
    Check out my videos http://www.youtube.com/user/Down4dacount1?feature=mhee
    [IMG][/img]
  • Ol MuckyOl Mucky Posts: 5,492 Admiral
    I'm a huge tipper, over-tipper if you will for the service industry folks.
    The guy at valet (I usually tip car in and out), the Hooters girl (no really just for her service lol), maids, etc, you name it. I start at 20% and adjust accordingly. Something my father (restauranteer/retail buisness owner) instilled in me at a young age.
    However, to this day, as it was always customary......you don't tip the business owner. In any industry.
    The masseuse, the rest owner, the boat owner etc.
    Your business fees/costs/profits are all worked into what you charge. If your good (IE bust your hump every time/every client, provide quality service consistently, good at your game, etc) they will come, and they will pay. If it costs you $1500 a day to run your boat, you don't charge 1200 and expect to make it on the backside. If you own a BBQ catering company and the gig cost you $500, and you charge $400........you get the idea.
    A business owner should never ever expect a tip. It's just not part of their make-up to do so.

I don't think there is a right or wrong in the original thread question.
    As another mentioned, if you are inclined to tip then do so, if not, don't. In either case their should be no animosity/expectations/pressure from either party involved.
    I have a much bigger and more powerful button
  • RexLanRexLan Posts: 868 Officer
    huntmstr wrote: »
    You better look up oxymoron. It means a contradictory statement. My statement was not contradictory.

Had I said I don't expect a tip, but I expect to get one, that would be oxymoronic.

The statement I made: "I don't expect a tip, but it's customary to receive one." That is the same as saying I don't expect a gratuity from my customers to but most of them tip me anyway. It's not a contradiction...not even close. If anything, it's ironic.

You just can not defend your position. You're argumentative, you are being petty and thin skinned. If you are really a "guide" (and I use the term very generously) I recommend that you increase your fee to a level that you feel you can provide your very best effort to every client and not expect, hope or desire a "tip" as an up-charge. As I said before, when you accept a fee for service that is a contract and implies that your best effort will be made - every time. Short of that you have breached your contract and your obligation. Like it or not, that is the way it plays out. If you can't see a way to that objective then you need to move out of the way for those who can and that will protect and promote the industry as a whole.

I also said early on that I was not current on the regulations. Certainly we all base most of our opinion/knowledge on our life experiences. I spent close to 40 years in Alaska ... so go figure that. Why would I want to spend any time traveling and hunting with various outfitters across the country? I have had some of the finest hunting and fishing in the world for the better part of 30 years.

Huntmstr you've got a chip on your shoulder ... why don't you lock it down and move on with yourself.
    Port Charlotte, Florida
  • flydownflydown Posts: 6,464 Admiral
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    It's your deer.... Mount it any way you want:blowkiss

Very well played.
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do
  • flydownflydown Posts: 6,464 Admiral
    I spent close to 40 years in Alaska ... so go figure that.

...and based on your attitude towards certain members, it appears you have yet to thaw out.
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do
    You just can not defend your position. You're argumentative, you are being petty and thin skinned. If you are really a "guide" (and I use the term very generously) I recommend that you increase your fee to a level that you feel you can provide your very best effort to every client and not expect, hope or desire a "tip" as an up-charge. As I said before, when you accept a fee for service that is a contract and implies that your best effort will be made - every time. Short of that you have breached your contract and your obligation. Like it or not, that is the way it plays out. If you can't see a way to that objective then you need to move out of the way for those who can and that will protect and promote the industry as a whole.

I also said early on that I was not current on the regulations. Certainly we all base most of our opinion/knowledge on our life experiences. I spent close to 40 years in Alaska ... so go figure that. Why would I want to spend any time traveling and hunting with various outfitters across the country? I have had some of the finest hunting and fishing in the world for the better part of 30 years.

Huntmstr you've got a chip on your shoulder ... why don't you lock it down and move on with yourself.

Why spend time traveling hunting with other outfitters? Maybe because it's fun and exciting to experience a variety of places and game animals. Maybe because there's more to hunting than what Alaska has to offer.

I can't help it if your myopic view of the world confines your ability to understand or accept those things foreign to you. But your opinion is only one among a world of opinions. There is no chip on my shoulder, sir. I am humble and thankful to have been fortunate enough to hunt and fish all over the US. I realize the good luck I have had and the breaks given to me that have afforded me experiences I would have likely never known otherwise.

I suggest you tread carefully and cease your attempts to libel my character or impede my business when you have no experience with me or my business operations.

In the interim, you may find a little introspection will serve you well.

• Derek ArsuaDerek Arsua Posts: 2,474 Officer
    If any of you here has ever seen resivour dogs remember back to the beginning. Don't be Mr. Pink!!! Lol cheap @$$
  • Walker DogWalker Dog Posts: 1,811 Captain
    I guess even in Alaska where guides need to be licensed, they still get a few bad apples:

Master guide sentenced for big game guiding offense
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASEAugust 28, 2012Anchorage, Alaska U.S. Attorney Karen L. Loeffler announced that an Anchorage man has been sentenced in the U.S. District Court in Fairbanks on Friday, August 24, following his guilty pleas to 16 counts of commercial big-game guiding offenses.

Master Guide Joe Norbert Hendricks, 76, of Anchorage, was sentenced by U.S. District Court Judge Ralph R. Beistline in Fairbanks, on charges that he committed unlawful acts in the course of his commercial big-game guiding enterprise Fair Chase Hunts in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge between 2007 and 2009. The charges Hendricks admitted to and to which he pleaded guilty included wanton waste of an entire caribou he had killed, two instances in which the horns of Dall sheep taken by his clients were altered by hammering the horns with a rock to obscure the fact that the horns were less than the legal minimum size, and 13 counts of subletting his assigned guide use area in ANWR to another guide, for compensation.

According to Assistant U. S. Attorney Stephen Cooper, Hendricks’ Plea Agreement included the facts he admitted to support the charges. These facts showed Hendricks wasted the caribou because he believed he had killed it unlawfully. He instructed two employees to conceal the carcass in a ravine, and filed an Alaska hunt report falsely claiming he had not hunted caribou. Hendricks personally hammered the horn of a client’s under-sized Dall sheep to make it appear that the horn was already broomed before the sheep was killed. A sheep with both horns naturally broomed could legally be taken since broomed horns make it difficult to determine if the horns met the legal minimum of a full curl. Hendricks operated in ANWR under a permit assigning to him the exclusive use of a specified area. ANWR assigns exclusive areas to qualified guides as a game management and conservation measure. Hendricks sublet his assigned area multiple times to another guide in return for compensation, which was not permitted by law or the terms of his permit. Hendricks, a registered guide-outfitter in Alaska since 1974, has provided guiding services on the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge primarily for Dall sheep as well as grizzly bear and caribou.

Hendricks was sentenced to a five-year term of probation and ordered to pay a total of $125,000 in fines. As a condition of probation, the court ordered Hendricks not to engage in hunting or guiding at any location, or to accompany anyone engaged in those activities, for a period of five years.

Ms. Loeffler commends the United States Fish & Wildlife Service, Office of Law Enforcement for Northern Alaska, and Arctic National Wildlife Refuge staff and the Alaska State Troopers for the investigation of this case.

I'm glad they got into him pretty good. It's people like that that give law abiding hunters a black eye.
2»