Home Ask the Law!

Fishing license question

jacqueojacqueo Posts: 1,270 Officer
We are going on a girls fishing trip this weekend. Two of us are avid fishermen and have our license... the other two just want to hang out on the boat and relax. I have heard two sides to the law and would like some clarification. IF there are only two people fishing on the boat, but we have between 4-6 rods on the boat (lets say 4 have lines in the water - two in our hands and two in the rod holders bottom bumping)... and they come check our licenses... are we in trouble? i.e., They would say that the other two women (who do not have their license) could technically be fshing - or would they have to see the poles actually in their hands? I have heard that if you are fishing and have extra poles on the boat/in the water - the people that are out with you must have a license. True/false? And if this is something that we could get busted for... who gets the fine? Thanks!
Jacque
Yes, as a matter of fact I DO fish... like a girl. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• Indian River JoelIndian River Joel Posts: 362 Officer
    They dont need a license if they dont participate in fishing. You will only be able to keep the limit for two people if you decide to keep any fish. I would make sure to not even have your friends that arent fishing hold a rod or reel for even a second since they will not be fishing. Tell them to bring a book or something to do which will help your cause if spotted by FWC. Bottom line is though, If they arent using a rod or reel then they dont need a license.
    "Indian River" Joel
    www.wadefishingflorida.com
    321-402-9881
  • chiliandochiliando Posts: 609 Officer
    They dont need a license if they dont participate in fishing. You will only be able to keep the limit for two people if you decide to keep any fish. I would make sure to not even have your friends that arent fishing hold a rod or reel for even a second since they will not be fishing. Tell them to bring a book or something to do which will help your cause if spotted by FWC. Bottom line is though, If they arent using a rod or reel then they dont need a license.

X-2 my wife comes on the boat but does not fish and so I have nver gotten her a license. She actually does read and brings a book. If they are REALLY not going to fish, do not waste the money on licenses.
  • IdlewildeIdlewilde Posts: 1,357 Officer
    You might want to ask an FWC officer on this, as I was told by an FWC officer that if there are rods on the boat then everyone of licenseable age needs a license if they are fishing or not.
  • IdlewildeIdlewilde Posts: 1,357 Officer
    Oops, double post.
  • SJCSJC Posts: 2,572 Captain
    Why chance it for 20 bucks
    The Beatings will continue until moral improves!
  • Go MongoGo Mongo Posts: 2,112 Captain
    I thought the law said someone on a boat without a license could not be "aiding or abetting" in the catch.
    Double check with an LEO but I think you are fine if your guest is reading a book.
    “Every day is a new day. It is better to be lucky. But I would rather be exact. Then when luck comes you are ready.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea