Peep Sight/Receiver Sight

I'm studying on putting this winged peep sight on my Marlin 336 (30-30)... anyone have any experience using this kind of sight?

http://www.skinnersights.com/tactical_sights_14.html

I really want to keep this gun scope-less. These peep sights look to be a pretty cool way to increase accuracy.

Replies

• Lunch Money SurfLunch Money Surf Posts: 1,028 Officer
    Should have posted this in firearms... sorry
    Found this thread too... JesseJames how did you like shooting through the peep sight?

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?26760-Which-Optics&highlight=peep+sight
  • ricerice Posts: 91 Deckhand
    I have a skinner sight on my Marlin 39 and really like the thing. I removed the inner peep from mine, The larger ring is enough for very good accuracy. Mine does not have the wings but I'm sure they would be good for a rough duty gun. I'm not likely to ever drag the 39 up into a tree stand.

The only bit of advice I can give is to make sure you either use a large peep or just the ring because it can be harder to see through a little hole during twilight.
    rice wrote: »
    I have a skinner sight on my Marlin 39 and really like the thing. I removed the inner peep from mine, The larger ring is enough for very good accuracy. Mine does not have the wings but I'm sure they would be good for a rough duty gun. I'm not likely to ever drag the 39 up into a tree stand.

The only bit of advice I can give is to make sure you either use a large peep or just the ring because it can be harder to see through a little hole during twilight.

Cool... on Skinner's website they call removing the aperture altogether the "Ghost Ring" effect... and yes the winged or 'tactical' sight is so you can knock it around a bit... if you search peep sights on the interwebs you'll find a lot of very fancy ones that would not like to go down into the swamps and thick stuff at all...

I would definitely do the ghost ring or use the large or x-large aperture... these are the sizes they have... look at the "Fine" size, I don't know how in thee hail you could see anything through that joker:
    Apertures_E_c.jpg
  • ricerice Posts: 91 Deckhand
    Target shooters use VERY fine apertures. In full daylight they can be useful and aid precision.
    The "Ghost Ring" is probably the best way to hunt because of it's narrowness and light transmission. I think I bought the standard one but I may have lost it by now.