Bayfront Park Ramp Questions

Got some buddys that are looking to me to put togather a trip this weekend over to the east coast to try and catch a Cubera. I guide in the Everglades out of Everglades City, and know shallow water and nearshore fishing, but nothing about the East Coast of Florida fishing. Be 2 or 3 boats making the trip over, mine is 24' tower boat (boca grande tarpon boat style), the others are 21' bay boats. If anyone can chime in with some general knowledge on the best place to launch, general areas to try, and any other local knowledge. I am more than happy to trade info for my area for any help that I can get. Someone suggested bayfront park in Homestead as a good launching point. Again any help is greatly appreciated.
Capt Charlie
http://hopefishing.comFishing the Florida Everglades National Park with Hope Fishing Adventures.

Replies

• dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    I just launches there last weekend, fine ramp, ALOT less crazies than Blackpoint which I would avoid. Not sure it is open after sundown though.
  • copout@castaways[email protected] Posts: 5,779 Admiral
    if it is open you'll be carried away by skeeters
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,240 Officer
    Bayfront Park in Homestead is not open for launching at night but you can return and depart the marina after dark. (So I've been told). The bugs will be intense. The best time for the Cubera fishing is around the full moon in August just seaward from the Whistle Buoy that can be located on any marine chart. I believe most people fish depths of around 220' near some wreckage. (The Whistle Buoy is 5.6 miles south of Pacific Light). Although I have never targeted these monsters there are a bunch of boats now fishing for them at night using live lobster or crabs.

It’s a very specialized fishing and if you want to really catch one you should book a local charter boat called "The Beast", who specializes in this fishery. He heads out in the afternoon to catch the live lobster that these fish can't seem to pass up. The Captain also knows how recognize the cuberas on his bottom machine. (Just Google "The Beast" charter boat if you are interested.)

The shortest route is to make your way to Angelfish Creek in the bay and then head out east (116 degrees T.) to the Whistle Buoy. This route will not pass over any shallow coral heads that are prominent in area between North Key Largo and the buoy, so watch your GPS and/or compass and don’t wander off course. The run to the buoy is 19.2 S.miles from the ramp.
    Giimoozaabi
  • DONY 1DONY 1 Posts: 557 Officer
    ^^^This. Right on the money.
    Don't cost nuttin to be nice
  • blewitupsirblewitupsir Posts: 774 Officer
    if it is open you'll be carried away by skeeters

Skeeters and Noseeums are a staple of my area in the Everglades. It will be a relaxing and familar feature. lol
    http://hopefishing.comFishing the Florida Everglades National Park with Hope Fishing Adventures.
  • blewitupsirblewitupsir Posts: 774 Officer
    Bayfront Park in Homestead is not open for launching at night but you can return and depart the marina after dark. (So I've been told). The bugs will be intense. The best time for the Cubera fishing is around the full moon in August just seaward from the Whistle Buoy that can be located on any marine chart. I believe most people fish depths of around 220' near some wreckage. (The Whistle Buoy is 5.6 miles south of Pacific Light). Although I have never targeted these monsters there are a bunch of boats now fishing for them at night using live lobster or crabs.

It’s a very specialized fishing and if you want to really catch one you should book a local charter boat called "The Beast", who specializes in this fishery. He heads out in the afternoon to catch the live lobster that these fish can't seem to pass up. The Captain also knows how recognize the cuberas on his bottom machine. (Just Google "The Beast" charter boat if you are interested.)

The shortest route is to make your way to Angelfish Creek in the bay and then head out east (116 degrees T.) to the Whistle Buoy. This route will not pass over any shallow coral heads that are prominent in area between North Key Largo and the buoy, so watch your GPS and/or compass and don’t wander off course. The run to the buoy is 19.2 S.miles from the ramp.

Very good information and I thank you for it. This is a good starting point for us with pretty much everthing I need. I would much prefer to hire a guide the first trip anywhere I go as it cuts down on wasted gas and time, but It would end up a multiple charter boat trip as we have to many total people. I did check out the beast, and thats a capt who is dialed into to his fishery. One last question is what kind of weather do you small boat fisherman look for to have the safest and productive trip when out. I see that Sat is called for a E wind at 11kt, Sunday ESE at 6kts for the day. Any local knowledge on this would be appreciated. And as I said before, if your coming to the Northern end of the Glades or 10K islands, and I can help, just shoot me a note.
  • BobbyhernandezBobbyhernandez Posts: 131 Officer

:Agree
  • wonderboywonderboy Posts: 65 Greenhorn
    The Beast is your man.....hands down....Good luck....