Bimini in mid October

willy-twilly-t Posts: 48 Deckhand
Already did some research and it looks like dolphin/tuna just left and wahoo are not quite there yet. Would deep drop be my only option? Anyone have any advise/experience that time of year? Is it worth the trip over? 10/17-10/21 Thanks

Replies

• CNTDRCNTDR Great Harbor Cay, BahamasPosts: 885 Officer
    Deep dropping should be good as well as deep jigging, yellowtailing, wreck fishing and live bait chumming at the drop-off. Cooler weather, water temps and less boat traffic help make October an ideal time to fish The Bimini's. Feel free to pm me for more specific info :-)
    Great Harbor Cay, Berry Islands, Bahamas
    pm me for rental info.
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,130 AG
    I agree with CNTDR....... Unless a cold front has passed, the water will still be hot so his advice is good.

If a cold front has passed, the temps will start to come down and the overall fishing should improve. However, depending on what kind of boat you will take over there, once the fronts start moving through, things will get windy and the seas will be higher. You'll have to make the crossing twice too.

If you have a choice in October and are somewhat size-restrained with the boat, you may want to shoot for early October to beat that first cold front. They do however ocassionaly come a bit late and into November. The good news is that you could almost just show up, and get a dock slip and all the rooms that you'd want.

Sea Crest!
  • willy-twilly-t Posts: 48 Deckhand
    Thanks guys back up plan in to head to marathon for tuna and daytme swords. We will be in a 34 yellowfin with trips. wanted to see if high speed for wahoo would be worth the fuel and if there are still any lobster to be found
  • YellowfinhunterYellowfinhunter Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    willy-t wrote: »
    Thanks guys back up plan in to head to marathon for tuna and daytme swords. We will be in a 34 yellowfin with trips. wanted to see if high speed for wahoo would be worth the fuel and if there are still any lobster to be found

October full moon some years will yield the larger wahoo...
  • Carolina GentlemanCarolina Gentleman Posts: 33 Deckhand
    There are also plenty of billifsh out in front from 1200 -2000 feet of water.