Pura Vida-Abacos

PescadoPescado Posts: 76 Greenhorn
Was wondering if anybody had fished\stayed with Pura Vida, Lubbers Quarters Cay, Abacos. We are planning a mid March stay with them and wanted to get some information.

1. Any feedback on experience with accommodation’s\fishing
2. Time of the year, expected species for the Abaco's in March

Thanks

Replies

• dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    try coconuttelegraph.net, Lubbers is very nice, quiet, but nice. Nothing but Cracker P's there but close to Elbow. March the offshore trolling should be great with anything possible. Lot's of wind that month as well.
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,181 AG
    See if you can PM Venturesome from the Forum...... he's the Lubbers expert.

Another Abaco Forum/Board where you can get great info is here:

http://abacoforum.com/forums/
  • PescadoPescado Posts: 76 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the replys (Gary M i remember you from the Abaco board from way back, around 2000 or so). I have been to the Abaco's several times and have stayed at Hardaground each time (great place). We are fortunate to have bid on a fishing trip with PuraVida and wanted some information as I cant recall every seeing their operation\boats.

Any additional information if anybody has some is appreciated.

Thanks

BTW, I checked both boards and there is only some references to them, no detailed information.
    anybody else?

Thanks
  • VenturesomeVenturesome Posts: 1,743 Officer
    Sorry, haven't checked the tropical thread for awhile... I know puravida very well. Actually, the owner/captain Robbie is a good friend of ours. His coworker Paul is also a good friend. We are all there together for a month in the spring. You can't do better ! They run a great operation, excellent equipment, and the grounds and cottage are top shelf. The sportfish Freespool is beautiful and they produce fish when others are getting skunked ! I know this personally and am not blowing smoke. I get no commission or freebies from them. I wouldn't recommend if I wouldn't put my family in there hands. in fact, next year I want my sister and her husband and kids to stay and fish with Robbie. Visit the website, its a good one. And the spring is outstanding for pelagic fishing. But, it does get windy there in the spring, forewarned . If I can help anymore, feel free to im me. Here's a couple pics of the place I happen to have.

IMG_3215.jpg

IMG_3209.jpg
    2392.jpg
    One more pic of the "beach" with tiki hut bar in the background.....

IMG_3210.jpg
    2392.jpg
  • treetopflyntreetopflyn Posts: 3,937 Officer
    Venturesome when you at lubbers last how was Bill doing? We really need to get back over there to see Michael & Laurie and Bill.
    which bill, we know a couple over there. Bill and Marjane????
    2392.jpg
    The artist Bill Johnson. He is usually out for his walks in the afternoon. He normally would stop by the house in the afternoons and visits for a while. If you have not had the chance to sit and talk with him do yourself a favor and do it. He is a wealth of old Florida and Historical Bahama info.

Here is some of his work.
    http://www.nassauglass.com/search.php?search=1&q=William%20(Bill)%20Johnson&page=1&perpage=9

BJ120.jpg
    thanks. i don't know him but will make a point to meet him on the next trip...
    2392.jpg
    We have that same picture framed and in our great room!
    Gmon remind me and I will bring his book down to the keys with me.

BahamianSailingCraft-Johnson1.jpg
    Pescado sorry for derailing your thread. We have spent a few nights enjoying drinks at the Pura Vida with the former owners (also and artist). It was nice then I am sure it's still nice.
    no derail going on here. just a nice exchange of info.
    2392.jpg
    Pescado.......... in March, you'll find brisk winds due to cold fronts and that will most likely regulate what you can comfortably fish for, and where. Since you will be near "The Elbow" you will at least have some possibilities to stay out of the wind either off of M-O-W or down past Tilloo Cay and farther down but it may be that you'll have to stay close to shore. Take a close look at the charts for all areas betweem Guana and down to Little Harbour and see if you can find some of the calmer water if the winds have kicked up........

Off of M-O-W, between the beach and the outside/ocean reef, you'll find a lot of individual patch reefs. I have fished them a bit back in the old Abaco Board days of the mid-late 90s. Anchor up-wind and then fish back to the edge of the patches. You might even get lucky like I did in that area 15 years ago! I caught the Mutton on a light spinner, then hopped in to get a few crawfish! Woo-Hoo! Great dinner that night!

12lb_Mutton_4lb_Lobstr_MOW.JPG
    All, we had a great trip with Robbie and his staff at Pura Vida. I would highly recommend a trip. We did have a little trouble at the dock one night which cut the fishing trip short and extended our stay by an extra day.
    YIKES! What happened there?????
  • myjackmyjack Posts: 232 Officer
    I cringe looking at these pics... you can't leave us hanging on what caused this.
  • Jack21Jack21 Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    What type of boat is that??
    just got back from a month on lubbers. I spoke with rob about this incident. I have alot of details about this boat. All I will way is that scuppers failed during a strong wind. Maybe the owner will elaborate.
    2392.jpg
  • Lazy BonesLazy Bones Posts: 941 Officer
    Jack21 wrote: »
    What type of boat is that??

Looks like a 35 Spectra w/ Yanmars
    bingo
    2392.jpg
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,665 Captain
    just got back from a month on lubbers. I spoke with rob about this incident. I have alot of details about this boat. All I will way is that scuppers failed during a strong wind. Maybe the owner will elaborate.

welcome back steve. waiting for a full report, sure it's going to be good.

working on it.
    2392.jpg