high tide

looks like you can go back to the island or anywhere else in n fla or so. ga.

Replies

• micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 12,590 AG
    They said on the news this morning that they are expecting a 4'-10' surge in apalachicola bay. Weather it happens is another story but possible. I hate it for those in the path but I'm glad it changed like it did for our sake.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • BeachRum1962BeachRum1962 Posts: 162 Officer
    micci_man wrote: »
    They said on the news this morning that they are expecting a 4'-10' surge in apalachicola bay. Weather it happens is another story but possible. I hate it for those in the path but I'm glad it changed like it did for our sake.

3-5 according to NOAA. That has been reduced from the 7-9 they had been forecasting all weekend.
    http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/092844.shtml?gm_esurge#contents
  • HewesManHewesMan Posts: 63 Greenhorn
    I'm sitting here on SGI and so far it has not been that bad at all. Wind gusts around 30 max. Not much of a surge yet that I have seen. High tide was at 10:45ish here and low at 7 something tonight. I don't think that it will get much worse. There has been a mandatory evac of the island but it has not been strictly enforced and from what I understand there woulsd not have been any evacuation at all but the state EOC said that the locals had to issue one. Now, if it would have been really bad then they would have enforced the mandatory evacuation. If winds get around 45 they do close the bridge though. I haven't seen any winds close to that yet.
  • BIG BOAT 22BIG BOAT 22 Posts: 466 Officer
    what's the island like now?
  • HewesManHewesMan Posts: 63 Greenhorn
    Yesterday was windier than Monday and the water was more out of the south. They did close the bridge for a lot of the day. There were a few streets that had some water over them on the bay side but one of the locals said that it is normal for that street. Really not too bad at all. More wind than rain. We maybe got .10" of rain if that. Winds may have gusted to 40ish but never steady at that. There was no time at all that we felt unsafe. Today I think that winds are around 15 knots right now. Even though I can't take the boat out it is still good to just be off work for a week. I need to do this more often.